How many people here are "moved"? Where are you and what market did you "move" to?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm in the Air Force, I currently live in Biloxi, MS but "moved" to Fairhope, AL (Mobile/Pensacola DMA) to get Tampa Bay Rays and Miami Marlins games and to dodge paying a satellite tax. I easily get all 3 stations on antenna indoors.

Before I moved there. I lived in Cocoa Beach, FL (Orlando DMA) and "moved" to my parents address in Tampa. Again easily got Orlando locals OTA indoors (30 channels in addition to the Tampa locals)

In July, I'm moving to Dayton, Ohio and I'm debating between Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, or Pittsburgh (If the HD beam is big enough for Pitt)

I do this for more sports and because I hate paying for channels that I can pickup over-the-air for free.

I "moved" to my parents in the Greensboro, NC market because here in the Raleigh market our "local" MLB team is Washington instead of Atlanta.

OTA with AM21....problem solved.

Greensboro gets Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Atlanta Braves. With the Sports Pack, you also get the Reds. The Sports Pack also gets you DC United MLS games on CSN 642, but that's not advertised anywhere.

I Moved from Philadelphia DMA to NYC. I grew up and work in the NYC DMA, so those locals are better for me (traffic, news, weather, etc).

Also, I'm a Mets fan. Even if I had to give up the NYC locals and go back to Philly, I would be stuck because MLB.tv and EI would both black out the 15 games a year between the Mets & Phillies. Its not a financial decision; $200/year would be more than fair if there weren't blackouts. But between MLB.tv blackouts and CSN Philly and DTV's near criminal "feud" it does not make sense for me to "move" back.

I live about 10 miles outside of the NYC DMA in NJ.

Its funny.
When I lived in Duluth the 1st time I had Minneapolis locals with Dish (Duluth wasnt available yet). That was back in 2002
Then I moved to Minneapolis and got Duluth locals because I missed them :)

Many years ago I used a different method. My folks lived Ortonville MN while I lived in Milbank SD, a distance of about 12 miles but the difference was the DMA. Ortonville is in the extreme western part of the Minneapolis DMA while Milbank SD is in the Sioux Falls DMA. I already had recievers and the dish up at my residence so what I did(with my folks help) was to reactiviate their old DTV account(they had gone to Dish. Long story and mom says she wishes they had not done so but thats another story.) Because I had said equipment all they did was ship access cards to my folks address in Ortonville MN and then I just went over and got them and brought them back,put thenm in and called DTV to activate the cards. I wanted the MSP locals and I got them as a result of this. I later moved to Ortonville and later on helped my folks out so now I have my own DTV account in Ortonville. I actually got this from a co worker of mine who when he got DTV years go and had it installed used his parents place in MN to get the MSP locals.

Many years ago I used a different method. My folks lived Ortonville MN while I lived in Milbank SD, a distance of about 12 miles but the difference was the DMA. Ortonville is in the extreme western part of the Minneapolis DMA while Milbank SD is in the Sioux Falls DMA. I already had recievers and the dish up at my residence so what I did(with my folks help) was to reactiviate their old DTV account(they had gone to Dish. Long story and mom says she wishes they had not done so but thats another story.) Because I had said equipment all they did was ship access cards to my folks address in Ortonville MN and then I just went over and got them and brought them back,put thenm in and called DTV to activate the cards. I wanted the MSP locals and I got them as a result of this. I later moved to Ortonville and later on helped my folks out so now I have my own DTV account in Ortonville. I actually got this from a co worker of mine who when he got DTV years go and had it installed used his parents place in MN to get the MSP locals.
wouldnt blame ya there for going with the Mpls locals over SF

One of the main reasons was to get KSTC(CHannel 45) who at that time had an OTA package of some pro sports plus then(as now) had the MSHSL state tournaments. This was nice even though I spent weekends over at my folks place(due to my weekend job in Ortonville)

Reactions: Mr Tony
yup they had the Wild games on 45 (this was before FSN +)

Of course this was the year of the NHL lockout so there were no Wild games on KSTC and I was over at my folks on weekends during the MSHSL State Tournaments. I was in my appartment though for 1 night of the boys hockey tourney so I did get that on KSTC. Also at that time I learned where Channel 22 was out of. DTV had it while with Dish you needed a 2nd dish.(This was in the fall of 2004). Now I live on the MN side of the border and with my new genie and genie mini I get the Twin Cities as I live in the MSP DMA

yup 22 is from Brainerd/Bemidji. At the lake house (on Mille Lacs) its one of the 3 stations we get OTA (the others being KCCW 12...same as CCO 4 and the Fox from Duluth on ANALOG 39)

After reading this thread I was looking to "move" as I don't care too much for my local networks. What I found was surprising when looking at my options. I am currently in the Peoria-Bloomington DMA. So I looked at the next closest DMA which is Champaign-Decatur-Springfield and looking at the TPN and signal strength of the channels came as a surprise as I am well within the spot beam (less than 90 miles). All the networks are on the 103S TPN's 1 and 3 and the signal strength on those transponders was 65 on TPN 1 and 68 on TPN. My question is should I attempt the "move" or look at another possible market?

After reading this thread I was looking to "move" as I don't care too much for my local networks. What I found was surprising when looking at my options. I am currently in the Peoria-Bloomington DMA. So I looked at the next closest DMA which is Champaign-Decatur-Springfield and looking at the TPN and signal strength of the channels came as a surprise as I am well within the spot beam (less than 90 miles). All the networks are on the 103S TPN's 1 and 3 and the signal strength on those transponders was 65 on TPN 1 and 68 on TPN. My question is should I attempt the "move" or look at another possible market?

I live in the same market and "moved". I get Chicago, New York and LA

I'm surprised your numbers are that low on those transponders. You would likely be okay most of the time, but you would probably lose locals pretty quickly in a moderate rain.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)