How many receivers?

Back in the days of the ViP722 the limit was 3 tuners.

I had the 722 plus three 211's.

I had to buy two of the 211's (still in the box on the back porch).

Thanks for the info guys. So to sum up, with a leased 722K in my system I can have 2 more leased receivers. These receivers can be 722K's as well or must be 211K's?
Am I correct in believing that I can keep my leased 722K in my system and add up to 5 purchased 211K receivers? Can I also add EHD's to the purchased receivers?
In reference the Hopper system. I understand I can change over to the Hopper system by sending in my current leased 722K. I understand I can add 4 Joeys to the system, is that correct? Or can I get the Hopper in exchange for the 722 and purchase 211 receivers and add to the system? And how many purchased 211 receivers can I add. I know that they are usually the 211K receivers but can 1 be a 211Z receiver for travel purposes?

Thanks for the info guys. So to sum up, with a leased 722K in my system I can have 2 more leased receivers. These receivers can be 722K's as well or must be 211K's?
Am I correct in believing that I can keep my leased 722K in my system and add up to 5 purchased 211K receivers? Can I also add EHD's to the purchased receivers?
In reference the Hopper system. I understand I can change over to the Hopper system by sending in my current leased 722K. I understand I can add 4 Joeys to the system, is that correct? Or can I get the Hopper in exchange for the 722 and purchase 211 receivers and add to the system? And how many purchased 211 receivers can I add. I know that they are usually the 211K receivers but can 1 be a 211Z receiver for travel purposes?
Most of your questions must be answered by DISH. You are asking about upgrading equipment, upgrade offers are made by DISH based on their evaluation of you as a customer.

Hopper upgrades could be Hopper with Sling or Hopper 3. Hopper with sling is usually free and Hopper 3 has an associated fee.

Since Dish is trying to phase out the ViP722k, if you call them to ask about leasing more of them, they will likely try to push you to a Hopper system instead. If you do switch to a Hopper, the limit on ViP211's (regardless of which type of 211) is two, and they must be purchased. If you are interested in purchasing ViP211k's, I have three of them that I am not using, just sitting in a box in my closet. Let me know if you want them.

Most of your questions must be answered by DISH. You are asking about upgrading equipment, upgrade offers are made by DISH based on their evaluation of you as a customer.

Hopper upgrades could be Hopper with Sling or Hopper 3. Hopper with sling is usually free and Hopper 3 has an associated fee.

Boba,
What upgrade??? I am talking about my buying receivers OUTSIDE of dish, ie, ebay or amazon. How is that a upgrade performed by dish??? The only connection to dish is that I must contact them to add the receivers to my account. This will increase my bill by $ 7.00 per added purchased receiver connection. What part of not leased did you not notice? The dish company may have a upper limit on how many leased and purchased receivers that I have on my system. I don't know, I am asking HERE.

Please notice that my posting #22 has two parts the first has me keeping my 722K receiver and adding purchased receivers. The second has me swapping my account to the Hopper system to see if that would be better for me in service and money spent.

Please notice that I did not include my purchase cost of the 211 receivers in the discussion. Not Germaine. If I misunderstood please advise. I do appreciate all the shared knowledge that is available here.

Last edited:
Since Dish is trying to phase out the ViP722k, if you call them to ask about leasing more of them, they will likely try to push you to a Hopper system instead. If you do switch to a Hopper, the limit on ViP211's (regardless of which type of 211) is two, and they must be purchased. If you are interested in purchasing ViP211k's, I have three of them that I am not using, just sitting in a box in my closet. Let me know if you want them.
Thanks for that good information! But what if I want to keep my existing 722K at home. Not switch to the Hopper system. How many purchased VIP211k's or VIP211z's can I add to my existing 722K system?

What upgrade??? I am talking about my buying receivers OUTSIDE of dish, ie, ebay or amazon. How is that a upgrade performed by dish??? The only connection to dish is that I must contact them to add the receivers to my account. This will increase my bill by $ 7.00 per added purchased receiver connection. What part of not leased did you not notice? The dish company may have a upper limit on how many leased and purchased receivers that I have on my system. I don't know, I am asking HERE.

Please notice that my posting #22 has two parts the first has me keeping my 722K receiver and adding purchased receivers. The second has me swapping my account to the Hopper system to see iof that would be better for me in service and money spent.

Please notice that I did not include my purchase cost of the 211 receivers in the discussion. Not Germaine. If I misunderstood please advise. I do appreciate all the shared knowledge that is available here.
Keep in mind that if you add more ViP722k's, the additional receiver fee for that model would be $17 each, not $7 like the ViP211k.

Thanks for that good information! But what if I want to keep my existing 722K at home. Not switch to the Hopper system. How many purchased VIP211k's or VIP211z's can I add to my existing 722K system?
I am not sure of the limit, but I am pretty sure you would be allowed to add the number of ViP211's (whichever type you want) that you were talking about.

Keep in mind that if you add more ViP722k's, the additional receiver fee for that model would be $17 each, not $7 like the ViP211k.

I am not sure of the limit, but I am pretty sure you would be allowed to add the number of ViP211's (whichever type you want) that you were talking about.

Crodrules,
Man I get what you say about the 722K. I was asking about keeping my currently installed 722K and adding 211K or 211Z receivers only. So the fee per month per unit is $ 7.00. Is that ok??

Crodrules,
Man I get what you say about the 722K. I was asking about keeping my currently installed 722K and adding 211K or 211Z receivers only. So the fee per month per unit is $ 7.00. Is that ok??
Yes, that is correct. I only mentioned the $17 additional receiver fee for more ViP722k's because of your earlier post, where you mentioned that you were interested in leasing more of them:

You cannot disconnect ViP receivers and connect Hoppers. Different equipment and wiring is required.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Care to expand on your very eloquoent comment. So how can you have VIP211K's or VIP211Z's in the exclusive hopper system? I have read many posts here that indicate that this is a standard configuration. As a matter of fact I have personal knowledge of a new Hopper installation that started with a VIP211Z connected to the old system and after the conversion to the Hopper thingy the VIP 211Z is still listed on the account equipment list. So what now???

Yes, that is correct. I only mentioned the $17 additional receiver fee for more ViP722k's because of your earlier post, where you mentioned that you were interested in leasing more of them:
Very good. Minor misunderstanding. So back to my original question. How many purchased 211K or 211Z receivers can you put on a 722K receiver system?

Care to expand on your very eloquoent comment. So how can you have VIP211K's or VIP211Z's in the exclusive hopper system? I have read many posts here that indicate that this is a standard configuration. As a matter of fact I have personal knowledge of a new Hopper installation that started with a VIP211Z connected to the old system and after the conversion to the Hopper thingy the VIP 211Z is still listed on the account equipment list. So what now???

It's not a 'standard' configuration. Dish allows up to 2 211's on a Hopper account for use in an RV which obviously would be on a separate dish. There are ways to do it with one dish but it's not 'standard'.

Most of the questions you're asking here have no simple answers. You should consult with a local professional.

Care to expand on your very eloquoent comment. So how can you have VIP211K's or VIP211Z's in the exclusive hopper system?
It can be done with a DPP44 switch. Two outputs from the switch go to a Solo Node (for Hopper 1 or Hopper 2 (aka HWS) installations). One output from the DPP44 goes directly to one ViP211k (z) while the port 1 output goes to a power inserter. The output from the power inserter goes to the second ViP211k (z).

For a Hopper 3, a DPH42 switch would be needed to connect all equipment associated with the Hopper 3. That switch also gets trunked to a DPP44 switch, to add the other stand-alone receivers.

Reactions: Cypresstree
Most of the questions you're asking here have no simple answers. You should consult with a local professional.

That's why I have refrained from giving suggestions or trying to correct mistakes because it would just confuse things more. This is a great place for answers but giving wrong ones is more probable when the person asking is not sure yet what they want. When you are asking what a Hopper 3 is that means more homework needs to be done first. I'm not sure how many rooms/TV's that is needed has been identified yet.

If I was giving a generic answer, one Hopper 3 with it's 16 tuners (and more with an OTA tuner) and Joeys in each other room may be enough with nothing else needed. If the installer will do a non standard install and have an allowed VIP receiver/Wally on the account that could have it's own external hard drive if that is needed for even more recording space and tuners.
If the OP has a good local installer and is ready to make the changes you could have them come and see exactly what you want to do and then see what can be done especially because the OP is saying this isn't or is not necessarily an upgrade he wants. Getting a Hopper would be an upgrade if not purchased of course.

That's why I have refrained from giving suggestions or trying to correct mistakes because it would just confuse things more. This is a great place for answers but giving wrong ones is more probable when the person asking is not sure yet what they want. When you are asking what a Hopper 3 is that means more homework needs to be done first. I'm not sure how many rooms/TV's that is needed has been identified yet.

If I was giving a generic answer, one Hopper 3 with it's 16 tuners (and more with an OTA tuner) and Joeys in each other room may be enough with nothing else needed. If the installer will do a non standard install and have an allowed VIP receiver/Wally on the account that could have it's own external hard drive if that is needed for even more recording space and tuners.
If the OP has a good local installer and is ready to make the changes you could have them come and see exactly what you want to do and then see what can be done especially because the OP is saying this isn't or is not necessarily an upgrade he wants. Getting a Hopper would be an upgrade if not purchased of course.

As usual you summed up the situation perfectly. :)

Hi guy's,

Sorry about the long delay. Working out of office and not able to add another twist here.
I salute Tampa8 but have to correct a slight misunderstanding. I was originally asking about expanding my current
722K system.I do not have the hopper system now. I did mention it in the original post. My bad for muddying the
waters and mentioning several points.

I am now considering changing to a Hopper system with 2 joeys in my house. I still asking about how many
PURCHASED, not leased receivers can I add to my account. They may have their on 1K.2 disk unit on my shop/home office
building. I have a unused one in the shop. So, any thoughts?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi guy's,

Sorry about the long delay. Working out of office and not able to add another twist here.
I salute Tampa8 but have to correct a slight misunderstanding. I was originally asking about expanding my current
722K system.I do not have the hopper system now. I did mention it in the original post. My bad for muddying the
waters and mentioning several points.

I am now considering changing to a Hopper system with 2 joeys in my house. I still asking about how many
PURCHASED, not leased receivers can I add to my account. They may have their on 1K.2 disk unit on my shop/home office
building. I have a unused one in the shop. So, any thoughts?
As mentioned previously, if you switch to a Hopper system, then the limit is two purchased stand-alone receivers (ViP211/k/z, or Wally). Beyond that, you could add more Joeys (up to a total of six Joeys, I think) but then you would have to have some way to connect them to the Hopper.

Reactions: ckbrown
Thanks crodrules! Just got a bit wrapped up in the research. The only thing the Wally gives you is HD viewing. Is that correct?

Thanks crodrules! Just got a bit wrapped up in the research. The only thing the Wally gives you is HD viewing. Is that correct?
The Wally will let you view any programming (HD or SD) that you subscribe to. If you add an external hard drive, the Wally will also allow you to record up to two satellite-delivered shows at the same time, just like a regular DVR. A USB OTA dongle can be added to give you up to two additional tuners for watching and/or recording antenna channels. With an internet connection, the Wally will also let you watch On Demand shows, and stream content from Netflix, Pandora, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts