How many RG6 coax cables fit a 1" PVC pipe?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
Planning my next dish project and will be putting in a dish about a hundred feet out from the house. My previous dish installs were all next to the house and very close, so no conduit was needed or used.

the attached picture is 2 siamese RG6 and a single Sprinkler cable for a total of 5 cables inside a 1" PVC coupling as a sample. Does it Look like I have plenty of room?

the 1" PVC is $7 for a 20 ft long section at LOWES.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,705
I used Rigid 1-1/2" Sch40 conduit with 5 RG6 and a control cable. It is very tight in there. It looks like your example is a coupler which is larger than the pipe ID.

Attachments

• PoleCrazy 053.JPG
    PoleCrazy 053.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,064
Now that I remember , I did squeeze 5RG6 cables into a 3/4" PVC for a short run, but it was an effort to get it all in there.

Yes, you are correct. I did use a coupler. But the 1"x20' sections have their own built in coupler at one end, so it should be close. I figured i would shove 4 RG6 through it even though I only need 2 RG6 and a 5 strand sprinkler cable. Think it will be too tight?

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes, you are correct. I did use a coupler. But the 1"x20' sections have their own built in coupler at one end, so it should be close. I figured i would shove 4 RG6 through it even though I only need 2 RG6 and a 5 strand sprinkler cable. Think it will be too tight?
I use vasoline when needed...

If you assemble it before you bury it, no problem. But if you bury the pipe and then want to pull the cable through, it could be a little tight. The pipe with the built in couplers only want to pull one direction.

If you assemble it before you bury it, no problem. But if you bury the pipe and then want to pull the cable through, it could be a little tight. The pipe with the built in couplers only want to pull one direction.

Good point about one direction. I'll probably run it through as I put it together. Thanks.

Run at least one extra coax!

Trust me, you won't regret it...

Yes, that is why I showed two siamese (4 RG6) coax in my picture, but I really only need two RG6 and a actuator cable. I plan on minimizing my dish farm again, so the dishes are changing again.

My guess 5.

Follow-up; Squeezed in 4 quad shielded rg6 into a 3/4" PVC. Looks like my guess might be right

Cheers, K

My guess 5.

Follow-up; Squeezed in 4 quad shielded rg6 into a 3/4" PVC. Looks like my guess might be right

Cheers, K

I'll probably use two runs of my siamese RG6, one black and one white coax, and unless I can find something more reasonable, I'll buy more 18 guage sprinkler cable for the actuator and double twist the wire to ensure electrical current is carried all the way out to the dish.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I know I'm weighing in a bit late on this, I would recommend 4" schedule 20 drain pipe if you can find it. Being thin wall it is cheap, and you used to see it everywhere. But it no longer meets code for sewer systems in many areas and is off the shelves. Still listed on the internet and may be available from a pipe supply contractor type place in your area.
You will never regret the larger size for pulling thru addl. cables at a later date. It's not the capacity of how many wires it will hold, but space for your wire snake to get thru without getting tangled with the existing cables.

I'm redoing my layout and getting rid of the old pipe and going with a 100 foot roll of 3" corrugated drain pipe which cost me $26.00 and using underground irrigation valve boxes from Menards for the end at the house and out by the dishes with each cable using barrel connector. This way I'll be able to work on the cables with easy, the problem with the smaller pipe any water gets in during the winter will freeze or the cable are in so tight than you can damage the cable trying to get one out and almost impossible to add another cable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SatelliteGuys

AT&T has been burying fiber cable in my neighborhood for a couple of years in connection with U-Verse. They've been using a flexible orange conduit. I'd love to get my hands on about a hundred feet of it...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)