How many SatelliteGuys live in a Rural setting?

I'm on 20 acres in Sheridan, CA, between Wheatland and Lincoln. I'm about 55-60 miles from the Sacramento towers and can barely get OTA. The closest phone switch to me doesn't even have Fiber so I can't even get ISDN out here. I'm stuck with laggy DirecWay for broadband access, my cell phone coverage is extremely spotty, and the closest store to me is 5 miles away. At least we have electricity and phone service. Water comes from wells (strong mineral taste - bleah!) and we've got a nice big septic tank for the "dirty water."

vandalous said:
I'm on 20 acres in Sheridan, CA, between Wheatland and Lincoln. I'm about 55-60 miles from the Sacramento towers and can barely get OTA. The closest phone switch to me doesn't even have Fiber so I can't even get ISDN out here. I'm stuck with laggy DirecWay for broadband access, my cell phone coverage is extremely spotty, and the closest store to me is 5 miles away. At least we have electricity and phone service. Water comes from wells (strong mineral taste - bleah!) and we've got a nice big septic tank for the "dirty water."

This sounds like our lake house
-12 miles from town
-7 miles from nearest gas station
-well
-septic
-propane
-no cable
-20 miles from phones CO, so ISDN, DSL and dial up is out of the question :)

Hmmm.... I will update mine...
5 miles from town 5.2 from a SuperWally...:)
Propane
Septic Tank
Hard Water from a rural Co-op... ( the people that move out here drink bottled or buy drinking water, I'm used to it)
Cable is ava...no high speed yet(An enterprising person that lived nearby put in a cable system about 15 years ago, and got bought out by the local town)
On a dead end road ( with sign that stops cruisers)
Wireless Internet for over a year... tower on a Hill 10 miles off.
1 digital Sd sometimes, nearest OTA HD tower 85 miles...

Van said:
Im setting plans in motion to be out of the detroit michigan area and move to montana next year, there are only 3 or 4 large cities and the rest are towns and villages and a cross road or two. Dish utilizes an rsp there but also has remote techs that work directly for the company, Im hoping to get into the great falls area.
Ah, Van I envy you. Spent a 2wk vacation in Eureka, about 5mi from the Canadian border and 1 1/2 hrs from Glacier Natl Pk 2 summers ago. Love the Rockies hence my yearn to get back to Colorado. Only thing about MT that I got from the locals was not alot of sun in the winter. Very cloudy and they said alot of transplants don't like that. Good luck and enjoy the Big Sky.--Ray

I have to update mine a little bit (this is the lake house) :)

-12 miles from town
-well
-septic
-propane
-no cable
-20 miles from phones CO, so ISDN, DSL and dial up is out of the question
-nearest TV tower is 26 miles away and its 2 stations....587 watt CBS and 11K watt FOX
-can get on a good day CBS and FOX (the two above), another CBS, PBS, ABC and NBC fuzzy...only HD is the PBS and thats 40 milesaway :)

I live in the small, rural town/city of Columbia, KY.
Although I grew up and lived most of my life out in the country on a farm.
I wish I could get back to the country, then I'd buy a BUD :D

I live in the outskirts Mitchell, SD a town of about 13,000. In two years I plan to be 5 to 10 miles from town out in the country. I grew up a farmer and I still help my father out when the need arises. Mitchell has everything I need for now. 10Mb/512kb fiber to the home, internet/TV/phone company, my former school Mitchell Technical Institute where I took a two year Satellite Communications class. It's nice to be friends with former instructors and have a 6.1m antenna with an analyzer at my disposal. I truly can't wait to move slightly farther out of town though; I need my motocross track really bad!

Neal

Derwin did you ever have breakfast at the biscuit barn in Athens? Man I loved those plate sized biscuits with sausage gravy and a side of ham.

Raymo721 I fell inlove with montana while riding the greyhound through to pick up a 65 chrysler I purchased in mid 01, eversince then Ive been hooked and getting all the info I can. Im a regular reader of several newspapers that I found through this website and a few that arent linkable from there. Im hoping for either great falls, helena, missoula, or the whitefish area's though alot depends on where dishnetwork will have a space open for a remote tech. When I checked last year they wanted a remote tech in shelby wich sits right out in the open plains east of glacier and smack in the path of the frigid canadian arctic air.

septic
propane (have access to natural gas in recent years haven't switched)
electric coop
13 miles to Wal Mart
City Water (was able to bring water service to rural areas through grants)
No DSL
No Cable which is 2 1/2 miles from me (and I am a cable technician)
2.2 miles from gas station though
Huntsville OTA comes in pretty descent from 45-50 miles away (as the crow flies)
I live half way in between Chattanooga, TN and Birmingham, AL all mountains, valley and ridges

Van said:
Derwin did you ever have breakfast at the biscuit barn in Athens? Man I loved those plate sized biscuits with sausage gravy and a side of ham.
nope, Athens was over an hour from Flovilla, so seldom went up there (unless I had Bulldawg tickets :D )

Iceberg said:
This sounds like our lake house
-12 miles from town
-well
-septic
-propane
-no cable
-20 miles from phones CO, so ISDN, DSL and dial up is out of the question :)
Iceberg, that sounds like my year round residence. While i am only 1 mile (and 500 feet of elevation) from the nearest country store , i am 7 miles from nearest gas station, with well, septic, oil heat and propane for cooking, and never a hope for cable. The nearest Mcdonalds is 25 minutes away, the nearest wally world is an hour away.

drhydro said:
Iceberg, that sounds like my year round residence. While i am only 1 mile (and 500 feet of elevation) from the nearest country store , i am 7 miles from nearest gas station, with well, septic, oil heat and propane for cooking, and never a hope for cable. The nearest Mcdonalds is 25 minutes away, the nearest wally world is an hour away.
That's like my dad's place. Except the cable. Cable was ran there in '90. Surprised us. But after several buyouts, my dad's bill stopped once. He called after a few months (didn't want a huge bill showing up one day), and they adamently stated that cable was nowhere in his area. That was about 8 years ago. :D

The house I now have in Seven Valleys is well, septic, oil heat and propane for the stove. Do have cable though with high speed no less.
The house in Kirkland lake gets all the city amenities except high speed cable internet. But the phone company is promising that they're running something.

I'm in the country here, right on the SW edge of Hermantown, MN

My work (family store) is in the "urban" West Duluth neighborhood. I usually commute the 8.4 mi here (but most of the time not back, since it is a 700 ft climb up the hill!) via bike, which typically takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 35 minutes depending on wind direction. If I drive there, it is a roughly 15 minute trip (over the freeway).

Other than power, there are virtually no public utilities out here: no water (well), no sewage (septic tank), no gas lines, no cable, and, after March 2004, no broadband.

From December 2002 to March 2004, I was, believe it or not, at the edge of the coverage area of Monet Wireless's 1xEVDO system (typical download speed 700 kbps), and enjoyed it greatly, but they managed to fold. Duluth has a new wireless service, Clearwire, but they unfortunately decided to cover mostly areas already served by cable and/or DSL! We are planning on getting WildBlue here.

It has advantages and disadvantages. You can't walk anywhere and expect to get there in a reasonable time. Of course, you see the same thing in ill-planned exurban and suburban developments. You burn more gas. You don't see your neighbors much. On the other hand, you have tons of land, you can do whatever you want on it, more or less, without whiny neighborhoods, or even worse, the dictatorial HOA complaining, so if you want 5 satellite dishes and an antenna tower, you can do it, people have what seems to be a liberal attitude towards their land and who is on it, etc.

I have lived here since I was 7 in 1993.

I live in a burb. Actually, it was its own town miles from Denver back in the 19th century, but everything grew up to it and beyond it. I've been here for 12 years and it is the best of both worlds (city and country). I have all the conveniences of the city within 10 minutes driving of my house and I have a real "gold rush" creek and open space out my back gate.

I grew up in the inner city of Chicago and when I graduated from the U of I (Urbana), I vowed that I would never spend another winter in Illinois or more than another day at a time in Chicago. After 5 years in Tulsa, I ended up in Colorado. I always looked to the suburbs as the better life and have lived in them for 26 of the 28 years I've been in Colorado. The country looks nice, but based on watching my friends who live there, it's too much work for an oldster like me.

Van said:

Raymo721 I fell inlove with montana while riding the greyhound through to pick up a 65 chrysler I purchased in mid 01, eversince then Ive been hooked and getting all the info I can. Im a regular reader of several newspapers that I found through this website and a few that arent linkable from there. Im hoping for either great falls, helena, missoula, or the whitefish area's though alot depends on where dishnetwork will have a space open for a remote tech. When I checked last year they wanted a remote tech in shelby wich sits right out in the open plains east of glacier and smack in the path of the frigid canadian arctic air.
Cool site. Been to Whitefish. Trendy but nice. The lake is beautiful. I hear Great Falls is nice to. Good luck.--Ray

drhydro said:
. The nearest Mcdonalds is 25 minutes away, the nearest wally world is an hour away.

drhydro
at the lake house, McDonalds is actually 12 miles away (their receipts say "Welcome to the world's smallest town McDonald's"...town population 113)
Its right on the highway along with 2 gas stations and a Dairy Queen :)

Wal-Mart (and most of civilization) is 45 minutes away in Brainerd (pop 20K)

tvdxer said:
I'm in the country here, right on the SW edge of Hermantown, MN
where in Hermantown?...you must be way past Menards :) I use to live in Duluth and I thought once you got past Hermantown there was nothing until Floodwood :)

My work (family store) is in the "urban" West Duluth neighborhood. I usually commute the 8.4 mi here (but most of the time not back, since it is a 700 ft climb up the hill!) via bike, which typically takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 35 minutes depending on wind direction. If I drive there, it is a roughly 15 minute trip (over the freeway).
those hills are a bugger...ever come down Mesaba Ave and take the steep exit to downtown Duluth in the winter? After the first time, you'll learn :D

It has advantages and disadvantages. You can't walk anywhere and expect to get there in a reasonable time. Of course, you see the same thing in ill-planned exurban and suburban developments. You burn more gas. You don't see your neighbors much. On the other hand, you have tons of land, you can do whatever you want on it, more or less, without whiny neighborhoods, or even worse, the dictatorial HOA complaining, so if you want 5 satellite dishes and an antenna tower, you can do it, people have what seems to be a liberal attitude towards their land and who is on it, etc.

no wonder I cried when I had to leave Duluth area :(
I'd move back in a heartbeat...but need good job first (job I had closed up shop and I had to transfer back to the TC) :(

I could never live anywhere without highspeed internet serving the community, ability to receive Digital OTAs, and without all the major food chains within a 5-10 minute drive :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)