How many streams can Hopper output at one time?

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
I'm sure there are several posts among the thousands about Hopper that mention this but,

Is there a design limit on how many joeys a one hopper can connect with and/or is there a limit to how many simultaneous streams it can provide to the joeys;

1. If they are all different (a mix of live broadcasts and recordings)?

or

2. If they are all the same (like everybody wants to watch the Superbowl real time)?

Thanks. I wonder if they set these limits for business purposes or these are real technical limits.

I don't think it's a technical limitation so much as a practical one. The Broadcom chip they're using is very powerful. The unit only has three tuners available for live viewing so it doesn't make a lot of sense to allow for 10 Joeys to be connected and ten streams. A second Hopper can be added to the mix along with another three Joeys though and all will work as a combined entity.

But what about the exception of everybody wanting the same thing? Shouldn't mirroring the stream be really processor lite. Or can't a single stream be viewed my multiple devices. Just heard these kind of things are what makes Victoria Secret able to mirror their "fashion show" to millions of separate IP addresses at once.

I'm just guessing of course.

Thanks. I wonder if they set these limits for business purposes or these are real technical limits.

I think it's a little of both. The Hopper would not fall to pieces if you added a fourth or fifth Joey, but keeping headroom in the box allows for some future capabilities.

Also, would Dish be doing the right thing promoting a single Hopper as supporting 5+ locations? If a client has 5+ TVs, chances are very good any additional up front for a second Hopper would not be a big impediment, and the client will be happier in the long run with the dual hopper solution.

Does it matter that the hopper will serve you DVR content while you're watching live and/or recording streams?

I think you could technically record three live streams and then also be watching different DVR content on all the hoppers and Joeys.

I wonder if that creates some sort of limit.

I think it would work just as the ViP tuners work. You could max out the tuners by recording 3 streams at once, AND max out the TV outputs by watching 4 other different DVR recordings at the same time with 3 Joeys attached, for a total of 7 different "streams" being processed at once.

It is one of those questions we may not have answered until it gets out into the field. In theory it could be that the household limit on receivers is hit before the limits of the hopper (based on hard drive limits, serving a bunch of joeys should not be an issue). But, there could be some software limit. What if you have 2 hoppers and 4 joeys and all 6 TVs happen to want to watch recordings that exist on just one of the 2 hoppers? The disk drive of one hopper should be able to handle 6 reading streams and 4-5 recording streams (assuming 3 SAT and 1-2 OTA), but can the chipset do it?

As mentioned above the VIPS can do 6 streams (4 recording and 2 watching). So it will be interesting to see if the hopper can do 10.

My computer knowledge tells me that the limits of any computer's performance are determined by the slowest component. At least in the computer world, that tends to be the HDD. I don't know if that formula extends to the A/V receiver technology.

I can rest easy.

I have stirred the pot.

But I can see the real absolute answer is unknown.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

It is one of those questions we may not have answered until it gets out into the field. In theory it could be that the household limit on receivers is hit before the limits of the hopper (based on hard drive limits, serving a bunch of joeys should not be an issue). But, there could be some software limit. What if you have 2 hoppers and 4 joeys and all 6 TVs happen to want to watch recordings that exist on just one of the 2 hoppers? The disk drive of one hopper should be able to handle 6 reading streams and 4-5 recording streams (assuming 3 SAT and 1-2 OTA), but can the chipset do it?

As mentioned above the VIPS can do 6 streams (4 recording and 2 watching). So it will be interesting to see if the hopper can do 10.
I count 16: PTA record (counts as 4), two other records from the satellite tuners, two from OTA record, play out to two Hoppers and 6 Joeys all from the same Hopper. Add two more for OTA. My best guess is that each stream is on the order of 4-5 Mb/s. That's a total of around 10 MB/s so pretty much any modern hard drive should be able to handle it even considering multiple streams (not just one large one). The hard drive may not be the bottleneck in a large system that pulls all streams from one Hopper.

kwindrem said:
I count 16: PTA record (counts as 4), two other records from the satellite tuners, two from OTA record, play out to two Hoppers and 6 Joeys all from the same Hopper. Add two more for OTA. My best guess is that each stream is on the order of 4-5 Mb/s. That's a total of around 10 MB/s so pretty much any modern hard drive should be able to handle it even considering multiple streams (not just one large one). The hard drive may not be the bottleneck in a large system that pulls all streams from one Hopper.
Back to one of my questions: How many identical streams can a hopper output, like everybody watching the Super Bowl in real time?

Back to one of my questions: How many identical streams can a hopper output, like everybody watching the Super Bowl in real time?

Well ... "live" really isn't live with the ability to pause, backup, skip forward... So the "live" feed could be skewed for each TV.

As used by Dish, MoCA has a 225 MHz bandwidth so I don't suspect that supporting ~8 4-5 Mb/s streams is an issue.

It isnt just about throughput, but more about seek times and read/write head movement. Serving up more than 4 data streams stored in different areas of the hard drive and 3 record streams to other areas of the hard drive, perhaps it is a technical limit that only 3 tuners and 4 TV streams can be handled by the disk. This isn't even taking into account writing OTA streams and perhaps technical hard drive limits are what is delaying OTA tuner support
as well.

rdinkel said:
And can they all be pausing or skipping ahead/back without impacting viewing of anyone else watching the same program?

No. Those functions would be disabled for everyone on that stream.

Are you saying when a Joey user looks at the list of streams he can join that if he joins one he can pause without impacting others? If so why are his options limited to streams in progress?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts