How many subscribers will Dish lose to DirectTV Sunday Ticket?

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
With DirectTV dropping the price of Sunday Ticket to $199, how many Dish customers will jump ship to get the Sunday ticket. Price was $325 year. It also is free to new subscribers for the first year. Any of you sports fans jumping?

I'm leaving D* this week for Dish....Ive never gotten ST and it pisses me off that they raised my monthly bill and then lowered the cost of ST...so I'm paying the difference so others will get ST?!?!?.... Not me...Dish here I come

Yes, poster didn't mention it's the scaled down version. My guess, by percentage virtually no one will switch. People by this time have switched over that if they are going to even at this price. Sure there will be the very few that will pay $100 less and switch, but money isn't flowing like it was a few years ago for expensive packages. Thus the NFL is smart enough to bring a cheaper package. I'd say it's an effort by the NFL to keep current subscribers as much as attract new ones.

A friend of mine who has D* just for the Sunday Ticket tells me that every year he calls and threatens to cancel ST and they give him a big discount. He said the guy who sold him D* taught him that trick. He claims to have used it the last 2 years and it still works. I personally have no interest in D* or ST. I get my NY Giant games on the local channel and I really am not interested in watching any other teams really, certainly not for extra money.

david_jr said:
A friend of mine who has D* just for the Sunday Ticket tells me that every year he calls and threatens to cancel ST and they give him a big discount. He said the guy who sold him D* taught him that trick. He claims to have used it the last 2 years and it still works. I personally have no interest in D* or ST. I get my NY Giant games on the local channel and I really am not interested in watching any other teams really, certainly not for extra money.

Like you, I'm just fine with my local team. The other games on CBS or FOX and MNF on ESPN are just icing on the cake for me. I think it would be cool if they would let you purchase just one team rather than the whole package. I'm also a fan of the Texans but they aren't my local team - it would be great if I could buy just their games.

Wouldn't leave dish just for that.Now if dtv offered sunday ticket as a stand alone package $200 no strings attached I would consider adding it,but they don't so its a moot point.

dan188 said:
Cant you get st without dtv service?? I belive its aviable on ps3 and you can order it w/o being a sub to dtv. Not sure if other devices have it as well

I know for a fact it is on PS3 but I'm pretty sure it was more expensive last year than on Direct TV. The one person I know that got it said it took several weeks before the quality was acceptable. Still an option, though. The NFL - mighty as they are - have often lagged behind the NHL and MLB in the tech department so it was, at least, a step in the right direction.

With DirectTV dropping the price of Sunday Ticket to $199, how many Dish customers will jump ship to get the Sunday ticket. Price was $325 year. It also is free to new subscribers for the first year. Any of you sports fans jumping?
Guess not! Did that take some wind out of your sails??

WOW! Direct must be really desperate. I believe the contract calls for INCREASE Direct pays as the years pass, but perhaps not. Direct almost giving away Season Ticket means they really fear the Hopper and will do almost anything to get new sub counts. I though Michale White said the expense on programming was Direct's #1 problem they are prepared to make headway on. Hmm, now handing out NFL Season Ticket? I didn't know Michael was that frightened of Dish, not just cable. Season Ticket was ALWAYS a money loser by itself and was always about netting new subs, so it just means that Direct is willing to lose MORE than ever on the package, but still come out OK on the company's bottom line, or is it that because Dish does NOT have Sunday Ticket, they still have a good profit long after the notorious fee increases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)