How much cable with new installation?

rjousuf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
Next week I am getting a new service with 1 722 and 2 311. The 722 will be about 50 feet from the dish and the 2 311 are about 75 feet and 85 feet from the dish. For a total of about 210 feet or so for the whole lenght of cable to connect everything. I think i seen somewhere that new installations will only give 150 or so feet of cable so do i have to pay for the extra 60 feet or so cable that the installer will need to hook everything up? And second question is that the 722 will be hooked up to a ethernet router to avoid the phone fee but i dont have a land line, only cell phone, so will i be charged the extra no phone fee for the receivers even though only the 722 is connected and anyway to conenct the 311 to the router too?
thanks

Dish Network basic installation covers 100 feet of wire (and probably only that much wire if needed) and then they will charge you extra for each additional foot for the wire plus labor unless you run across a nice installer that will just give you whatever you want as some of them have all materials provided.

in 7 years i never charged customer for cable no mater how long it is, there have been times i used over 500ft on one job. as far as i know my office never charged for long runs just get the job done what ever it takes

From the back of our Service Agreements:

Services: Site Survey at the time of installation; Assembly of dishes and mount(s); Grounding of system components to meet NEC standards; System peaking for optimum performance; installation of up to 200' RG-6 cable; routing of cable through one wall penetration; testing of equipment for proper operation; orientation to DISH Network programming and equipment.

Materials: Up to 200' RG-6 cable; coaxial cable connectors; grounding equipment; weather sealant for connections and structure penetration; wall plate(s), bushings and fittings as needed; mount hardware (standard, eave, chimney, tripod, pole with up to 50' of trenching/cabling).

The ethernet connection on the 722 is suposed to work as the land line, so no 5$ fee will be added. The 311's do not need to be connected to a phone line, and there is no way to connect to ethernet. If your worried about the cable run, why not get 1 322 instead of the 2 311's. At this point you will pay the $5 no phone line fee, but your paying $5 for a third reciever anyway.

Last time I was present for a Dish installation, the tech gave way over 200' of RG6. Pretty much just had the spools and ran them. I'd imagine it'd take longer to measure. And he let me take the spool of phone wire to run the phone line to the receiver location...easily a 75' run.

I think it used to be 100 feet but they may have changed that since it's been a while since I seen that though.

A retailer may be more strict since they have to pay for their wire vs. an installer which has it supplied to them.

i will use what ever it takes in cable .. but if i have to trench you have three options after 50'.. $1.50 a foot to me or $3.00 a foot to dish, or have fun with that shovel, (if you havent ever had to dig through clay or across the ever popular gravel drive you wont understand why)(i can dig through pavement before i can clay in August, unless you are not in a position to be able (elderly, sick, hurt), but in the house i will run a whole box of cable if needed.

ps.. some states do not allow anyone not certified to do phone lines to run them.. its a law to prevent the possibility of a lack of 911 contact, the idea is if we dont touch the line we cant be resposeable for the possible loss of life if the phone doent work. hence why dns can give you a free wireless phone jack if they have it on the van. but if E* has to send it it will cost you shipping.

Yeah it's funny how they say it's only 200', but try and call and cancel a W/O because a customer refuses to pay for the 1000' of cable they need. Dish will tell them oh it's free, your office will say just put the job in. Oh they want the 250' of burial free too, better get crackin.

Had this happen when I was a Sub. Dish was 250' from house. 4 single tuner receivers to a house with no wire. Two tv's on second floor, two tv's on main floor. Customer hits me at the door, I want all the wire fished in the walls and I am not paying anything extra. I am sure somebody else came out and quoted $500.00 to do this job. Oh did I mention the job was on the 4th of July, because the customer insisted it be done before their guests arrived for the party.

I believe I was the second tech to walk away. The only time I have ever done that.

I don't blame ya, I would have done the same thing. Only basic installation is free but some people want it all. Even Dish Network used to state that each wall fish was $59 but some installers won't even do it for that if at all. I am not sure what the fee is now.

I don't blame ya, I would have done the same thing. Only basic installation is free but some people want it all. Even Dish Network used to state that each wall fish was $59 but some installers won't even do it for that if at all. I am not sure what the fee is now.

Man I would LOVE to get paid 60 bucks for a wall fish! I do them for free now, but only when it's absolutely necessary. Our supervisor claims we could charge the customer, but if they call him and bitch his tune suddenly changes.

Our supervisor claims we could charge the customer, but if they call him and bitch his tune suddenly changes.

Always does. Then you look like an ass to the customer. They will certainly tell all their friends that they can get whatever they want done free, as long as they say I will not pay for it cancel the job.

Basically, he aint going to say anything if the customer don't say anything if you charge. If the customer calls, your doing it for free. This is one of many reasons why I got into the wireless internet business, I'm boss of my own company and I decide what I charge for and what I provide for free, not let someone else tell me how to run my own business more and more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts