How much do cords matter

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
I was wondering, right now i am using a component video cord and the picture on it itsnt that great. Now the cord isnt a Monster Cable or anything, in fact it looks pretty cheep. Should i spend a bunch of money to get a monster cable or somethign like it?

People's opinions vary on this. I haven't been able to see a difference between a "cheapie" and a "monster" or other brand cable. If you have a "bad cheapie" you might try another one just to see if that specific cable is bad.

jgags6 said:
I was wondering, right now i am using a component video cord and the picture on it itsnt that great. Now the cord isnt a Monster Cable or anything, in fact it looks pretty cheep. Should i spend a bunch of money to get a monster cable or somethign like it?
When you say your picture is not great, do you mean HD or analog? Have you done anything with your TV to improve PQ- like using a Home theater setup disk? Avia DVE or Sound & Vision?? Have you adjusted any of the user control settings-ie Contrast,color,tint etc?

There are definitely cheap component cables out there. There are also many, many "levels" between those cheap ones and the "Monster" type. Personally, those in-between cables are more than sufficient for me.

Look at these, for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5869001729&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

$4.99 + $6.99 shipping (to my location)

Those are nice looking cables, made from 75-ohm coax, just like the more expensive cables. These, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-712, are not too nice looking, in my opinion. I've seem similar ones and I don't think they're made of coaxial cable either.

I have done an A/B comparison between the top line monster cable component video and the free component cable that came with the Xbox HD pack on my 65 inch HDTV. I see no difference at all, Would I pay 100 bucks for the monster cable? NO! If you are not happy with the picture you have these cheap/free cables will accept interference much easier than the monster cables do. Try to route the cables were they are away from power cables and other possible interference points.

My rule of thumb is that you buy a decent, quality built cable. While it's not scientific by any means, thicker usually is better. Don't use cables whose diameter is that of a 16 guage wire.

Remember that when you by Monster, you are buying a brand name, marketing, and legal fees in addition to any actual quality. Save your money and by a lesser name brand that is just as good.

A wavy picture on a digital picture usually indicates electrical interference. Could be from poor cable but msot likely you have to many items on the same circuit.