How much do you care about NFL preseason games, if at all?

... For those not in the know: since 2002, the Browns and Lions play every preseason for the rights to the Great Lakes Classic Trophy...

Here's the GLC Trophy.....

great-lakes-classic_trophy.jpg

That ship must be a replica of the Edmund Fitzgerald, as both teams' playoff hopes always seem to sink from that point on. :)

I like watching the Bengals' preseason games to see the new players. And I used to care whether they won because they went 17 years in a row without a winning preseason. I don't care how bad they might have been, that is an INCREDIBLE streak. Then they went 4-0 a couple years ago and didn't make the postseason, so now it doesn't really matter.

I will watch other teams' games to check out new uniforms.

Jimbo mentioned the Lions play the Bengals every year. That was true for every year since the merger until a few years ago, when the league took over scheduling most of the games. The Bengals and Lions hook up again starting this year.

EDIT: The home-and-home series was revived LAST year.

Last edited:
I like watching the Bengals' preseason games to see the new players. And I used to care whether they won because they went 17 years in a row without a winning preseason. I don't care how bad they might have been, that is an INCREDIBLE streak. Then they went 4-0 a couple years ago and didn't make the postseason, so now it doesn't really matter.

I will watch other teams' games to check out new uniforms.

Jimbo mentioned the Lions play the Bengals every year. That was true for every year since the merger until a few years ago, when the league took over scheduling most of the games. The Bengals and Lions hook up again starting this year.

Wasn't it a Bengals-Lions preseason game in the Silverdome when Ki-Jana Carter blew out his knee?

So by your logic, the past predicates the future? Your little Cleveland history overview means nothing on the future or current status of our teams. Eventually, we will get to the promised land again. And personally, I'm pretty excited for the first time in a long time about the state of our current franchises.

You should be - especially for the Browns. That is a team that really turned things around last year and, in my opinion, were very fun to watch. I'm in the Atlanta market (have distant networks through AAD) but caught one of the games where Anderson was a little shook up at the moment and Brady Quinn came in and did a wonderful job (although briefly). The only thing you may have to worry about this year or next is a good dose of quarterback controversy (assuming Anderson has a slow start or gets injured to see Quinn come in and perform solidly). There really isn't anything out there (unless some unforeseen disaster takes place -- which we all know can happen in any sport) that convinces me the Browns aren't serious contenders right now.