How much do you care about NFL preseason games, if at all?

I don't know about your Sabres, but I do know that NOBODY will win a championship in Cleveland.

How do you know that? I personally think the Browns are a playoff team this year that will contend for a Super Bowl next year. I think the Cavs are a serious threat for an NBA Championship next year. Yes the Indians are having a down year, but it's an abberation. With their talent and a little tweaking here and there, they'll be a strong contender in '09.

I don't know about your Sabres, but I do know that NOBODY will win a championship in Cleveland.

Why all the angry posts?

How bout instead of all the negative comments, you explain how you arrive at your empty statements? At least that would be a start in adding something worthwhile to the discussion at hand. :rolleyes:

Why all the angry posts?

How bout instead of all the negative comments, you explain how you arrive at your empty statements? At least that would be a start in adding something worthwhile to the discussion at hand. :rolleyes:

Sounds good.....Another reason for pre-season, do a bit of scouting of Fantasy football!!!! got to stay on top of things....cant wait!!!

I'm not angry. And since you asked I will explain how I arrived at the conclusion that Cleveland teams can't win championships.

Indians - Last WS title 1948; WS losses in 54, 95, and 97; blew a 3-1 lead in the ALCS last year; conclusion the Indians may not always suck but they will find a way to blow it

Browns - last NFL championship 1964 (before there was even a SB); 3 AFC CG losses in 86, 87, and 90 (do you want me to get into the details there?), Art Modell moves team to Baltimore in 1996 and Ravens win SB in 2000, Cleveland gets new team that sucks like old team; conclusion Browns won't reach SB as long as Brady and Manning have air in their lungs

Cavs - last championship never; best finish NBA Finals 2007 (swept by Spurs in series that wasn't even as close as 4-0 outcome); the Cavs have had some good teams over the years, but a guy named Jordan used to beat them like schoolyard bully picks on the small kid; now the Cavs have King James and a collection of stiffs; conclusion LeBron is as good as advertised but will leave Cleveland in a NY minute when his contract is up; expect to see the Cavs back in the lottery then while Lebron becomes the toast of the Big Apple

I don't care what some of you say.

What I had to put up with in Buffalo would make HD MM blush.

4 Super Bowl losses IN A ROW (Also, I remember Buffalo LOSING a heartbreaker to Cleveland in the playoffs. IMO, Buffalo would have beaten the 49ers in SB XXIV.), and then there's the Sabres. Oh, the horror stories I could tell...

I'm not angry. And since you asked I will explain how I arrived at the conclusion that Cleveland teams can't win championships.

Indians - Last WS title 1948; WS losses in 54, 95, and 97; blew a 3-1 lead in the ALCS last year; conclusion the Indians may not always suck but they will find a way to blow it

Browns - last NFL championship 1964 (before there was even a SB); 3 AFC CG losses in 86, 87, and 90 (do you want me to get into the details there?), Art Modell moves team to Baltimore in 1996 and Ravens win SB in 2000, Cleveland gets new team that sucks like old team; conclusion Browns won't reach SB as long as Brady and Manning have air in their lungs

Cavs - last championship never; best finish NBA Finals 2007 (swept by Spurs in series that wasn't even as close as 4-0 outcome); the Cavs have had some good teams over the years, but a guy named Jordan used to beat them like schoolyard bully picks on the small kid; now the Cavs have King James and a collection of stiffs; conclusion LeBron is as good as advertised but will leave Cleveland in a NY minute when his contract is up; expect to see the Cavs back in the lottery then while Lebron becomes the toast of the Big Apple

Anders,
As a Boston sports fan I know fan first hand about "sucktitude".
NO TEAM choked as much as the Red Sox and NO TEAM was a bigger disaster than the Patriots. Look at what both those teams have done this decade. Why can't Cleveland be the same? BTW, all three of their teams are capable of winning a championship in the forseeable future.

So by your logic, the past predicates the future? Your little Cleveland history overview means nothing on the future or current status of our teams. Eventually, we will get to the promised land again. And personally, I'm pretty excited for the first time in a long time about the state of our current franchises.

Anders,
NO TEAM choked as much as the Red Sox and NO TEAM was a bigger disaster than the Patriots. Look at what both those teams have done this decade. Why can't Cleveland be the same? BTW, all three of their teams are capable of winning a championship in the forseeable future.

Exactly. In 2004, the Sox won a WS for the first time since 1918! That was a very long drought. Even longer than the Tribes last WS win in 1948.

And because Cleveland isn't spoiled with many Championship teams in a given lifetime, it will be all the more sweeter when we finally do win. Until then though, I will continue to root for the home team.

I care in the sense that I might want to see how an individual athlete does in a game situation. I might care too about how a whole unit does but you seldom see an entire starting offense against a starting defense so it ells you very little.

but the score means little. i would hate to seea 99-0 score but we have all seen teams that were markedly different in the preseaon than the regualr seaon.

Anders,
Great word "sucktitude". No offense Bill but Boston fans are a bunch of whiners. All the years that the Red Sox and Patriots were coming up short the Celtics were hanging banners like it was their job. When the Celtics were bad the Patriots and Sox started winning all the time. Now they're all good. The sun's always shining somewhere in Boston.

Great word "sucktitude". No offense Bill but Boston fans are a bunch of whiners. All the years that the Red Sox and Patriots were coming up short the Celtics were hanging banners like it was their job. When the Celtics were bad the Patriots and Sox started winning all the time. Now they're all good. The sun's always shining somewhere in Boston.

You make a valid point about the Celtics. However, in the 1990's the Boston sports landscape was dubbed "loserville" (all the teams sucked). Besides, as much as I appreciated the Celtics dynasty, I always wanted my football and baseball teams to be championship caliber because of the national attention those two sports drew.

Actually the Red Sox did not have much luck in the playoffs in the 1990s but they were hardly a bad team then. The bruins were a perennial playoff team in the 1990s and even broke the curse against the Canadiens during that decade.

The Celtics even had some success in the early 90s but it was hardly a good decade for them. the patriots long the also ran made the playoffs four teams in the 1990s and even hada super bowl appearance.

So quit with all this loserville talk now!

Actually the Red Sox did not have much luck in the playoffs in the 1990s but they were hardly a bad team then. The bruins were a perennial playoff team in the 1990s and even broke the curse against the Canadiens during that decade.

The Celtics even had some success in the early 90s but it was hardly a good decade for them. the patriots long the also ran made the playoffs four teams in the 1990s and even hada super bowl appearance.

So quit with all this loserville talk now!

Geez, don't shoot the messenger. But that's what it was called.

Here's a Boston Globe article:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...boston_sheds_its_loserville_tag_in_a_big_way/

They broke the Habs Curse in 1988.

I stand corrected. But the B's were respectable in the 90s. Of course i don't remember them dancing around with a big tin cup( actaully I think it is really silver and nickel) at any point in that decade but they weer not "losers."

I'll be watching the pre-season games just because I want to see what the rookies will bring to the plate in case the starters/veterans get hurt.

+1. Preseason football is the appetizer to the main course which is opening day. These games heighten the anticipation and leave your mouth watering for more!

Besides, how can you not get pumped for the now on-going traditional game coined : "The Great Lakes Classic"!

For those not in the know: since 2002, the Browns and Lions play every preseason for the rights to the Great Lakes Classic Trophy, a bronzed boat with helmets! Not only does the winner get the trophy, but a total of $50,000 raised from the preseason game will be donated to local charities. The winning team's charity receives $30,000, while the losing team's charity will collect $20,000.

Here's the GLC Trophy.....

great-lakes-classic_trophy.jpg

First time I've ever heard about this trophy. By the way, all Lions games are exhibition games.
Seriously, I almost never watch pre-season games. 4 games, are 2 too many. The other 2 should be folded into the regular season, just let them carry the expanded rosters. But let the games count. See how easy that is?

First time I've ever heard about this trophy. By the way, all Lions games are exhibition games.
Seriously, I almost never watch pre-season games. 4 games, are 2 too many. The other 2 should be folded into the regular season, just let them carry the expanded rosters. But let the games count. See how easy that is?

I too have never heard of this trophy ...
The Lions also play the Bengals EVERY year in the preseason.
As long as I can remember.

Jimbo

Ditto. I'll take NFL Football however I can get it.

I used to be the same way. I'd watch the preseason games, the NFL Replays on NFL Network during the off-season, I'd even watch the NFL Draft (which is a lot like watching paint dry if you're team isn't the one picking). Now Football is pretty much a distant third to Hockey and Baseball, and I dare say even Golf. Mostly sports that rely more on finesse and brains than the physical aspects.

I watch sports still, and will probably catch a few Broncos games if I have nothing better to do, but I don't clear my schedule for a game anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)