How much do you enjoy NFL games on Thanksgiving?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I know it's only September, but the season can go by quicker than you think, and before you know it comes my absolute favorite part of the NFL regular season- the Thanksgiving games.

(Last Thanksgiving, DBSForums was down, so I NEVER got to talk about NFL Thanksgiving games with you guys)

Paul and Jimbo, the two Lion fans (REBULDING SINCE 1957!!!!!) are more familiar with this tradition than some of us, though most of our favorite teams have played some Thanksgiving games. (I'm sure most of us can remember our favorite teams playing a couple of times on Turkey Day

Ironically, though, the one time Buffalo's been on Thanksgiving in my lifetime occured in 1994 AFTER my family moved to Wisconsin.

I'll save the 'What are your favorite NFL Thanksgiving games' questions until we get closer to that actual day.

For now, I'll ask how you feel about this tradition?

Do you enjoy it? Do you have any traditions? Do you wish other teams would get a chance to play?

I enjoy the games a lot. Turkey, Gravy, crannberry sauce and football. The day after starts the holiday season. You just can't beat it. Sometimes the games are an after thought because of the holiday. It also helps if your team plays on the holiday. I just like the whole day and it's tradition to have Dallas and Detroit as the home games. Now, having a game at night is something to get used to but the overall games on Thanksgiving is cool.

My wife and I entertain about 20 people every Turkey Day (thank goodness for a big dining room :D), but football is definitely part of the equation. My daughter is a cheerleader, so we start the morning off at our local high school game. Then it's off to home for the three F's: Football, Fun, and Feast. :hungry: :up

I look forward to the Thanksgiving day games, but it's alot more fun when the Lions are actually winning ..... which hasn't happened much since Millen got here.

The Lions use to play very well on T day regardless, but of late it's been depressing.

As for the Lions only playing (and Dallas) and those that want to change it ... tough

It originated in Detroit so it should stay that way, Dallas was added years later and no one complained, so all was good. Of late some want to change it to where everyone can play, let's not ruin a good thing.

If others want to play, patition the NFL for you to play either Detroit or Dallas that week.

Jimbo

I"d say Thanksgiving football is great - the first two games. After the late game is over, the family feast is done and I'm all football'ed out (so the evening NFL Network contest is just too much). I usually only look in for a moment while I am doing something else like watching a DVD or something else on cable.

Thanksgiving and Football are just about as American as it gets.

I am a huge traditionalist, but when it comes to the tradition of having the Lions on every Thanksgiving Day, I would actually be in favor of having them replaced. No offense Lions fans, but who outside of their fan base actually looks forward to watching this putrid team every year?

With that said, I like the idea of having "America's team" in the Cowboys as part of the Thanksgiving Day game tradition. If I had to select another team to replace the Lions though, it would be the Green Bay Packers @ historic Lambeau Field.

How much more American and traditional can you get than the Cowboys and Packers every Turkey Day? To me, that would be awesome!

Thanksgiving and Football are just about as American as it gets.

I am a huge traditionalist, but when it comes to the tradition of having the Lions on every Thanksgiving Day, I would actually be in favor of having them replaced. No offense Lions fans, but who outside of their fan base actually looks forward to watching this putrid team every year?

With that said, I like the idea of having "America's team" in the Cowboys as part of the Thanksgiving Day game tradition. If I had to select another team to replace the Lions though, it would be the Green Bay Packers @ historic Lambeau Field.

How much more American and traditional can you get than the Cowboys and Packers every Turkey Day? To me, that would be awesome!

Regardless of how things have not been good for the LIONS, Thanksgiving Day would NOT BE Thanksgiving Day without the Cowboys and the Lions. And this is coming from a guy who HATES the Cowboys big time!

Morning football game with the neighbors....we have a tradition of one guy on each side having to wear a ductape helmet video cam for comedic purposes...beer and family dinner. And watching football!

Thanksgiving Day football is great. One of my favorite games was 1974 Cowboys/Redskins.

My only problem is staying awake and alert after that big turkey dinner. :)

I agree that it's more fun watching the Lions when they are competitive. The last several years the pro games have been pretty boring.

It also doesn't help that I'm looking forward to more competitive college games which are played the next day, and that I'm usually wanting to sleep because of the wine and tryptophan in my system. :)

I look foward to it alot, while the lions play and its a tradition in it-self, as of late it has not been good on Turkey D. Its a football tradition though ,turkey day and football especially now with three games it kind of kicks off the holiday season for me!!

Last edited:
[QUOTE=salsadancer7;1521075]Regardless of how things have not been good for the LIONS, Thanksgiving Day would NOT BE Thanksgiving Day without the Cowboys and the Lions. And this is coming from a guy who HATES the Cowboys big time!

Win or lose, it's a DETROIT tradition, we started it, and we're keeping it. As long as Ford owns the team, that's the way it will be. It's tough enough being a Lion's fan, so how about you other people who disagree with this, backing off! If you wanted a Thanksgiving day game, you should have invented it. Otherwise wait till you get the Lions on your schedule. Thanks for the support Salsa!

Thanksgiving Day football is great. One of my favorite games was 1974 Cowboys/Redskins.

My only problem is staying awake and alert after that big turkey dinner. :)

That's one of my favorites too. It doesn't get any better than watching football after a great Thanksgiving meal!

it wasn't that the steelers couldn't figure it out, it was the fact that the ref screwed up and said the opposite of what the Steelers said.

I'm not much of a pro football fan. I watch the Sunday night games on NBC because I think Madden is a great announcer, but that is all the pro football I usually see. And Thanksgiving is way too busy a day for me to watch TV of any kind. So I don't care one way or the other about Thanksgiving football.

But if a college game were on, I would probably change my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts