How much does it cost to have your own channel on an FTA bird?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

penguinsix

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
So, say I had the content and wanted to start my own TV station, broadcasting FTA to the US on IA-5 or whatever it is called now. How much is 24/7 transponder space?

I asked because I'm curious but also because I wonder how some of those carpet salesman manage to pay for their always on 'buy this lovely carpet' shows that are on.

Anyone have an idea, or know where to look?

I know it's expensive. Might wanna look into the cost of the transmitting equipment. That would be a good start. Don't become Captain Midnight, do it the right way.

If you do own your own equipment, you can lower the long term costs of using someone else's teleport. I'm sure you can contact the operators and admins of the satellite companies. (Panamsat/SES/Intelsat)

Don't become Captain Midnight, do it the right way.
I was reminded of this over the weekend while watching the end of a baseball game on G10. The game was in the 10th inning, when suddenly a switch was made and a test pattern appeared for something coming on in about 50 minutes on IA5 TP xx. I assume this was a contractual thing with this new uplinker, while the previous uplinker simply ran out of time? The station I was watching went in Duh... mode, and put up a station marker, while they were apparently waiting. After 5 minutes I moved on to something else, the game was probably over by then anyway.

If you do own your own equipment, you can lower the long term costs of using someone else's teleport. I'm sure you can contact the operators and admins of the satellite companies. (Panamsat/SES/Intelsat)
Go to White Springs TV's website. They promote you contacting them, and they could probably answer the questions better than we can? They might even could uplink it for you? Good Luck!

Al

I was reminded of this over the weekend while watching the end of a baseball game on G10. The game was in the 10th inning, when suddenly a switch was made and a test pattern appeared for something coming on in about 50 minutes on IA5 TP xx. I assume this was a contractual thing with this new uplinker, while the previous uplinker simply ran out of time? The station I was watching went in Duh... mode, and put up a station marker, while they were apparently waiting. After 5 minutes I moved on to something else, the game was probably over by then anyway.

you and me both Al :)

Yeah there was a feed that was to be coming up and the ball game ran long. They switrched TP's right away on the analog feed but the G10 stuff never came back :(

So, say I had the content and wanted to start my own TV station, broadcasting FTA to the US on IA-5 or whatever it is called now. How much is 24/7 transponder space?

I asked because I'm curious but also because I wonder how some of those carpet salesman manage to pay for their always on 'buy this lovely carpet' shows that are on.

Anyone have an idea, or know where to look?

Last fall for a couple of weeks the rugs salesman was showing bootleg movies.
He mush have ran out of overpriced rugs.

Last fall for a couple of weeks the rugs salesman was showing bootleg movies.
He mush have ran out of overpriced rugs.
Yes, the Bootleg Movies, and they had writing across the screen that said they were moving to a new location and would be back soon. Only they disappeared, I think they may have gotten busted? Or fled the country...?

Al

As I remember it, the screen crawl, said the Rug sales (or something to that effect) would be back in a week or so. As far as I know, (the last time I checked) they were back selling rugs. And no more bootleg movies either!!
grusome

I've heard people say that a full transponder of analog c-band (aka Dr Gene) can run 200k/mo.

Well, if you can bounce 10 or so Ku Digital channels thru that same TP then the above estimates of 10k to 25k would sound good.

I'd guess 10 to 25k.

The digital KU MPEG2 link budget is based on the play out services provided, satellite popularity, length of contract, bandwidth requirement, signal strength and other parameters. $15K - $25K is in the range.

The digital KU MPEG2 link budget is based on the play out services provided, satellite popularity, length of contract, bandwidth requirement, signal strength and other parameters. $15K - $25K is in the range.

Thanks for all the replies.

That's a lot of carpets...

That is a lot of carpets, but look how much they price each one at...

It'd be a lot easier, and a whole heck of a lot cheaper, if you really do want to get in to broadcasting to do your own internet radio or tv station. Lots and lots of p2p tv software can be had for low cost or free... making podcasts is also free or pretty cheap... and there's tons and tons of possibilities in doing streaming audio...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts