How much improvement can I expect from a larger dish?

Cdninva

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
Hi,

I have an 18" dish installed in the only spot on my property that I can get any signal at all because of trees. Even that is not completely unobstructed. In the winter when no leaves are on the trees I get signal strengths between high 70's to high 90's. About three or four weeks ago the signal started getting low enough that it has become almost un-watchable. A few transponders get a signal around 70 but many are as low as 44 and some don't seem to register any signal. I've haven't had this problem any previous summers but I assume its happening now because the trees have grown.

How much of an increase in signal strength can I expect if I switch to a 24" or 30" dish? Is there a possibility that there is something else wrong and how could I check that before going to the trouble and expense of changing to a larger dish.

Thanks,
Cdninva

If you can get a 24" dish, your gain will be much better and maybe less headache on the rain fade problem, however, from your information, you really need to raise your dish up to get an acceptable signal for your system.

Cdninva said:
Hi,

I have an 18" dish installed in the only spot on my property that I can get any signal at all because of trees. Even that is not completely unobstructed. In the winter when no leaves are on the trees I get signal strengths between high 70's to high 90's. About three or four weeks ago the signal started getting low enough that it has become almost un-watchable. A few transponders get a signal around 70 but many are as low as 44 and some don't seem to register any signal. I've haven't had this problem any previous summers but I assume its happening now because the trees have grown.

How much of an increase in signal strength can I expect if I switch to a 24" or 30" dish? Is there a possibility that there is something else wrong and how could I check that before going to the trouble and expense of changing to a larger dish.

Thanks,
Cdninva
With a 24" dish in place of the 18" your 44 might get to mid 50s. A larger dish has more surface area so it can capture more of the signal getting to it. Your problem is the signal isn't getting to the dish. Water in the leaves is what blocks the microwave signal. You really need to look for the source of blockage and eliminate it. I recently had a customer complaining about signal loss on a phase 3 dish. This customer had previously had trouble with a crape myrtle growing in front of the dish. They swore the tree wasn't blocking the dish. When I checked it out a branch was blocking the dish just off the left side of the dish. The branch was about an 1 1/2" diameter, signal before removal was in the 40s after removal in the 90s.

If you can find a old primestar dish and put a directv lnb on it works great. I have both types the round 1 meter and the eliptical one. The 1 meter will pull signals 98 to 99 on all working transponders. some trandsponders will show no signal thats normal usely 3 or 4 depending on were you are located.

I run a 24" with 4 way switch running TIVO and another receiver. On trans. 4 both tuners nail 100 all the time. Now I have had it go out, but the weather was tremendous. When all others are out, though, I am still on. Everyone in my family has a 24' wouldn't think of giving someone I love only 18"

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely have to give a larger dish a try. Unfortunately, since the trees are not on my property (not even close) I'm stuck.

Also, since this appears to be my only option, I might as well go with the 30" and hope for the best.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where to buy just the 30" dish? I assume I can use my existing LNB as long as the new dish has a rectangular LNB mount?

Just a quick update for those who are interested.

I installed the 30" dish yesterday and am now getting signal strengths of low 80's to 100 on most transponders. My lowest reading is a 69.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)