How much of a factor is Skewing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WildeComputers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
So I was close to getting my motor installed, but need to cut some metal or custom-make a mount. Since I was able to find G26 (93W) before I tried, I figured I'd go for G25 (97W) when I put the dish back on my pole. Well...I missed and got G16 (99W) instead. Figuring I was "oh-so close" I made the 2 degree skew change and moved it to the east (just a bit). Now, I am using my SF-95 and the basement window, so I am sure I'd have a little better luck taking a small TV outside with the receiver, but after I moved it (IMO) a hair to the east I now have G3C (95W). Elevation isn't even a half degree change between the three satellites. In fact, after I made the skew change I noticed G16 (99W) came in a little better. So it would seem skewing will improve the signal (ie. going from 46% to 79%) but isn't preventing me from finding a satellite. It would appear Azimuth is the biggest factor. Is this a safe assumption, or does it really depend on the dish and LNBF you are using for one of the "three" (elevation, skew & azimuth) to impact your results more than the other "two"?

Side-note: The DW6000 dish weighs 27.5 pounds (with the RF transmitter removed).

Yes, dish shape has something to do with it, type of feedhorn prob does too. I've seen that going just a few degrees east or west of the sat you are 'skewed' on properly won't necessarily make you lose all signal, but try going from 99 over to 123 or 72 and you may or may not get much signal. Skew has to be pretty close on most of the small dishes, it seems, or you may get vertical but no horiz, etc, or nothing at all.

The signals you are trying to capture are very weak. All of the adjustments are very important. Don't forget to also adjust the LNBF closer/further from the dish in its bracket to properly catch as much signal as you can.

I recently moved a friend's fixed dish from G-25 (97w) to G-10R (123w), and forgot to change the skew. I spent two hours on his roof patiently trying to hit G-10R before realizing I had forgotten to re-skew the LNB! After the adjustment, I got it in less than a minute. There wasn't even a hint of a signal before I re-skewed the LNB.

That being said, I think it makes much more of a difference as you get farther away from true south.

I recently moved a friend's fixed dish from G-25 (97w) to G-10R (123w), and forgot to change the skew. I spent two hours on his roof patiently trying to hit G-10R before realizing I had forgotten to re-skew the LNB! After the adjustment, I got it in less than a minute. There wasn't even a hint of a signal before I re-skewed the LNB.

That being said, I think it makes much more of a difference as you get farther away from true south.

Same thing happened to me when I first set up my old Primestar. Tried and tried to hit G10. Til someone told me to check the skew. I set it to what it was supposed to be and BAM! There it was all bright and shiney. :)

Rule of thumb for stationary FTA dishes and SKEW:

If the satellite is located East of your Longitude, then Clockwise LNBF Skew is required.
Picture_306.jpg

If the satellite is located West of your Longitude, then Counter-Clockwise LNBF Skew is required.
Picture_307.jpg

How much skew required?

That depends on how far the satellite's longitude from your longitude. Also, your Latitude will make a difference on how much skew required.

Enter your zip code in this calculator and it will calculate the Skew required for your location

LNBF Focal Distance Adjustment:

Picture_308.gif

LNBF CORRECT DISTANCE TO DISH REFLECTOR (GOOD)

Picture_309.jpg

LNBF TOO CLOSE TO DISH REFLECTOR (BAD)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts