how much of a run is possable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amicrawler

Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
i have a dish is at 500' from the house

i can get power from the reciver from in the house to the dish but on the way back in the house no signal at the dish i show a signal from the lnb hooked up to my sat buddie 2 is this the wrong finder to use for c-band i have power from the ird 6 volts what my meter reads will i need to reset the arc i do see there is some free and clean analog station on other wesites on amc 4 or has most of the c-band went digtial and ku band i see lots and lots of hd content on this website from spaceway 1,2,3 and others

any ideas .... any would be great to know i'm new to big dish not to the small ugly dish

what do i need to get this to the house ? :D

if i was doing all this i would set up at the dish and tune it with a receiver and tv. ( this way you know you have a good video signal)

once tuned i would try it on your 500 ft run thats already run into the house ( with two breaks).

If that didn't work i would. best you can do is buy a very good shielded coax and run it above ground with no breaks and try that ( you could do this at the dish also still in the box)
any breaks in the coax tend to help loss of signal and become problem points for moisture and could cause powering problems....500 ft is a long run for cheap coax.... its a long run for most any coax.

after that the best option is rg10 ( and it tends to be expensive)

the sat buddy is a great tool but it just finds a signal , it doesn't know what the signal is dvb, dss analog ect.... use it at the dish to find a satellite for the receiver then try to tune the receiver to receive the signal.

good luck

I might add that the foam filled coax is much better.
It sound like you are having problems inside the house too?
Receiver output can be amplified if thats a problem but I wouldnt recommend
it BEFORE the receiver just after.

the wire is rg6 over hang wire and is above the ground all new wire from the dish to the house

from the house to dish i show 6 volts from the reciver
from the dish to the house i do not show any signal
but from the dish short run 5' i show 6x9 on my meter in the house nothing dead as a door nail the line has 2 breaks under the house it is dry under there cement base very dry a little to dry

Have you tried a small tv at the dish???? Make sure your LNB is working and find the arc. Then worry about the 500 foot of cable.

If all else fails call Skyvision, they seem to have a fix for anything.

My run is 250 feet with no problems.

You mention from the house to the dish you are seeing 6 volts from the receiver. I am guessing you are measuring this voltage at the dish. If this is the case that is alot of your problem.

If you are using an LNBF on the dish and your receiver is setup up for voltage switching for polarity you should see either 13 volts or 18 volts depeneding on what polarity you have selected. Most likely with that length of cable run you will drop a couple volts by the time it gets to the end of the run. 6 volts is way too low to power the LNBF.

For that length of coax run you may need to go up to an RG-11 cable instead of the RG-6. It is best to use a coax with a solid copper center conductor and not a copper coated steel one. The cable will cost a little more but you will have less voltage drop at the far end.

Also You might mention more details on what your are using for a reciever and what your LNB/LNBF setup is at the dish.

if you are talking about 6 volts from the analog receiver and are running on cat 5 cable to control your servo at the feedhorn?
if so, I misunderstood the original question.

Maybe hes reading the 5V for the servo.
Check your coax,that is what powers the LNB.
Be sure not to short the center conductor to the shield(bad news)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)