How much would you pay?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Saddlesitting

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
As a Sunday ticket subscriber for 6 years I have put up with alot of crap with Directv and Sunday Ticket. It gets better with each passing year but still isn't heaven in a box. My most rescent issue would be with Blackouts and market shares. That's not why I really started this thread though.

Basically Blackouts occur when the team didnt sell out or the game is shown on another channel or whatever. All in the name of the team and the TV station getting their advertising dollars out of you.

So I got to thinking. With my Sirius Radio I get alot of programming without commercials. Not all programming but most the music stations. Also Sirius and XM programming is the same nationwide. Directv certainly has the technology to let everyone recieve all the nations channels. You can make your bandwidth arguments but back to the advertising dollar is the reason most of us can't get the national feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS

I remember with the old huge satellite dish in the back yard you had to wait while it moved and tuned to a different satellite but that would let you see broadcast from all over the world. Even a Japanese channel was viewable. And if you missed Cheers! you could catch it 3 hours later.

So how much would you pay to never see commercials again? Imagine a TV service which never showed Commercials. Commercials themselves dont bother me so much since I got Tivo but my local tv stations thinking THEY own my eyes and not New York or LA kinda pisses me off. I mean shouldn't I get to decide which station I wanted to watch.

How many billions of dollars are spent on advertising annually? How much would D* have to pay to show everything commercial free?

Even the premium movie channels have advertising, just not during the event.

What you are asking about is unrealistic because there is no way D* or it's subs could afford to pay for the loss of advertising money and still be affordable to the average household.

As a Sunday ticket subscriber for 6 years I have put up with alot of crap with Directv and Sunday Ticket. It gets better with each passing year but still isn't heaven in a box. My most rescent issue would be with Blackouts and market shares. That's not why I really started this thread though.

Basically Blackouts occur when the team didnt sell out or the game is shown on another channel or whatever. All in the name of the team and the TV station getting their advertising dollars out of you.

So I got to thinking. With my Sirius Radio I get alot of programming without commercials. Not all programming but most the music stations. Also Sirius and XM programming is the same nationwide. Directv certainly has the technology to let everyone recieve all the nations channels. You can make your bandwidth arguments but back to the advertising dollar is the reason most of us can't get the national feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS

I remember with the old huge satellite dish in the back yard you had to wait while it moved and tuned to a different satellite but that would let you see broadcast from all over the world. Even a Japanese channel was viewable. And if you missed Cheers! you could catch it 3 hours later.

So how much would you pay to never see commercials again? Imagine a TV service which never showed Commercials. Commercials themselves dont bother me so much since I got Tivo but my local tv stations thinking THEY own my eyes and not New York or LA kinda pisses me off. I mean shouldn't I get to decide which station I wanted to watch.
You are just full of bias and missinformation, "C" band was free in 1985 but in January 1986 HBO scrambled their signal and year by year fewer channels were free and more were subscription. NFL Sunday ticket was one of those subscription services and the network broadcasts became scrambled so you couldn't watch their backhaul feeds. Today there is FTA satellites but most broadcasts people want to see are not available free. Grow up and realize commercials are a necessary part of American television. I wouldn't be surprised in the future to see "THE COMMERCIAL NETWORK" become a new service playing nothing but the oldy but goody TV commercials, imagine watching Speedy Alka Seltzer over and over or "that's some Speecy meatball".

I would pay 50 bucks for a package just to follow one team. D* could easily cover the decrease price because ST subs would increase by 1000x and they would in the end make even more money. But thats the rub. ST is not a money making venture. Its a hook to get new subs.

I would pay 50 bucks for a package just to follow one team. D* could easily cover the loss because ST subs would increase by 1000x

Do you have any evidence that the contract between NFL and DirecTV would allow this?

If not, why do you feel you need to blame DirecTV? I would wager that it is the NFL that would be most against this.

Call the NFL - see what they say. You can reach them at (212) 450-2000. Please report what they say.

In the meantime, stop blaming DirecTV for all of your issues.

$268 dollars for NFL package is $200 more then I want to spend ,So there is your answer.!

And I would pay the current ST and SF price just to receive the Eagles games for the year. I guess it's just whatever your into. I am certain there is something you spend money on that I wouldn't even consider. The point is, to each his own. Remember, no one is forcing anyone to do anything, they are offering. Your decision.

And I would pay the current ST and SF price just to receive the Eagles games for the year. I guess it's just whatever your into. I am certain there is something you spend money on that I wouldn't even consider. The point is, to each his own. Remember, no one is forcing anyone to do anything, they are offering. Your decision.
I'm a big time Eagles Fan, But I Live in Pa so I get every Eagles game locally.

Good question!
I am ok with paying the 60.00 for crap I don't watch much but feel the $12.00 is well spent to be free of commercials.
I am about to pay whatever Netflicks charges for movies.

I wonder what it would cost to have commercial free TV?........Would it be as much as the current military budget? What percent?....................Could you buy commercial free TV if there was only one brand of car that was way cheaper than today's fleet?

Good question!

Joe

First let me say that I too loathe commercials and also remember the days we enjoyed c-band time shifting and free wild feeds and such, even penned a huge post last year about how DBS could offer the same basic deals; better for them & us IMHO, ONLY IF the NAB and local affiliates and cable would stop blocking everything..... BUT I will take this odd tact.

What if there were ZERO commercials?

Would new services, products and information be readily disseminated to we, the masses to the point that these advertisers would be able to make ANY money to the point of continued survival and continued R&D? OR would we be killing off the avenue by which these people use to drum up business, to create support, MAINTAIN or CREATE NEW JOBS, etc?

Would we be killing off jobs to the point of drastically slowing or even killing off economies? Will that in turn trickle down to our own jobs / companies slowing up enough to the point where they need to drastically cut back or close? The way everything is so intricately intertwined today, ending one small base can eventually snowball into disastrous results for the masses.

Now I am not saying it will happen, but it is worth thinking about, as we all know our country just LOVES knee jerk, reactionary moves to appease the minority quickly without thinking it all the way through.

My suggestion is to simply CAP the number of total minutes in a given hour that can be in commercials; local or national; advertisements and local station breaks/teasers all included.

Like:
1. 1.5 mins (00:58.30 - 00:00.00)
2. 1.0 mins (00:14.30 - 00:15:30)
3. 1.5 mins (00:28.30 - 00:30.00)

4 mins total

What are your thoughts.

Last edited:
many programs are now innertwined with commercials. i always wanted to put a "kill your tv" bumper sticker on my work van.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts