How often will I lose service? (DirecTV)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep, it's all about money and unfortunately nowdays pizza wins for what you get.:D But, i agree the MTV mini pak for eight dollars a month aint bad. But, VH1 classic is the only channel i would watch.

To get VH1 Classic on Direct it costs $65.99 a month plus tax. CMT Pure, MTV Hits & VHI Soul Direct or Dish don't even carry. I watch VH1 classic, CMT Pure, MTV Hits, Teen Nick & Tv Land mostly but also look at the others in the pack here & there. Good buy with nitch channels only H2H carries.

Maybe I'm old fashioned and maybe something will change in the future (probably won't be me!) but the other day my H2H sub expired, no biggie, I let it coast for a few days and waited until I was ready (and had the cash) to renew it - for me, this is something I hold on to. I know it's not the way of the world today, business practice is to setup recurring contracts for seemingly small amounts of money and tie the subscriber in for 2 years at the outset.

I have let my sub lapse a day or two or till I have the cash too. You can't do that with Direct, Your monthly bill is due ahead of time and if its not payed by that date you get late fee's. I payed my last bill and have a ZERO balance and stupid Direct sent me a bill reminder to my e-mail yesterday What the hell is that crap?? If I let my sub lapse on H2H, No late fees to pay, I reconnect when I want, no BS. These pizza providers put a gun up to your head with the contract and hold your credit rating over your head. If you don't kiss there butt with there terms of contract. I saw on the local news this morning that Cable and Pizza subscriptions are at a all time low right now. Funny how that works, maybe people are fed up with these gestapo tactics and costs.

Does anyone not know how this works before they sign the contract? You act like this is a sneaky thing they are doing.
They want you to pay your bill on time as per the terms of your contract. The horror!

Does anyone not know how this works before they sign the contract? You act like this is a sneaky thing they are doing.
They want you to pay your bill on time as per the terms of your contract. The horror!

Why do these providers have to hide behind contracts? Wouldn't it make more sense to abolish them? I mean come on it's tv, not a mortgage or car loan.

In these bad economic times many people are putting food first before tv. If your in a contract that choice is not there. Time for these companies that play these games to review their actions and take care of there bread and butter (the customer) in a different way. Like I said in my other post Cable & Pizza subs are falling off like crazy. I see them falling even more by years end. This will cause Direct, Dish and the like, having many accounts defaulting on the contracts. Maybe that will wake them up (ya fat chance)

It seems like you would rather pay a company who kept on raising rates to just come in a little under cable and DBS. Meanwhile they never laid a ft. of cable to peoples homes or uplinked a channel. Nor, do they provide any type of equipment to their customers. No wonder they don't require contracts. They have nothing to lose!

Why do these providers have to hide behind contracts? Wouldn't it make more sense to abolish them? I mean come on it's tv, not a mortgage or car loan.

In these bad economic times many people are putting food first before tv. If your in a contract that choice is not there. T

Most companies providing a service along similar lines as this require a contract and or a deposit to secure service. I know this before hand. If it bothers me, or the terms of the contract are not satisfactory to me, I am under no obligation to sign up.

As to it making more sense to abolish them, I would guess that it doesnt make good BUSINESS sense, since nearly all providers require them for most likely the same reason.

In good economic times people should still put food before tv.......obviously. I will say though, that if times get bad and and it comes down to food or sat service, then chances are that the person couldnt REALLY afford sat service before hand. If they dont have the foresight to plan financially beyond a two year contract and ask themselves "what if times get tough questions" then that is not the fault of Directv, or any service provider for that matter.

In good economic times people should still put food before tv.......obviously. I will say though, that if times get bad and and it comes down to food or sat service, then chances are that the person couldnt REALLY afford sat service before hand. If they dont have the foresight to plan financially beyond a two year contract and ask themselves "what if times get tough questions" then that is not the fault of Directv, or any service provider for that matter.

I think even those with extra cash flow will start hurting soon, if they haven't already. Have you followed the news beyond the candy coating that the cable networks channels give. Those of us with buds can see the real picture unlike CNN, Fox and the other mainstay channels provide.

If it goes on like this only the ones in the ivory towers will be watching pay tv, That is if the majority don't tear down their ivory tower first.

I think even those with extra cash flow will start hurting soon, if they haven't already. Have you followed the news beyond the candy coating that the cable networks channels give. Those of us with buds can see the real picture unlike CNN, Fox and the other mainstay channels provide.

If it goes on like this only the ones in the ivory towers will be watching pay tv, That is if the majority don't tear down their ivory tower first.
The news is easily available through other means.
For that type of discussion though, I would invite you to Sonicbabble (link in my sig). Several of us satguys are there discussing things such as the economy and politics. We welcome the input from you there if you are interested.

In these bad economic times many people are putting food first before tv. If your in a contract that choice is not there. Time for these companies that play these games to review their actions and take care of there bread and butter (the customer) in a different way. Like I said in my other post Cable & Pizza subs are falling off like crazy. I see them falling even more by years end. This will cause Direct, Dish and the like, having many accounts defaulting on the contracts. Maybe that will wake them up (ya fat chance)

They "hide behind contracts" (as you so ignorantly put it), in order to make sure they can recoup the cost and depreciation on the equipment that they give you. You see, in order to keep their subscribers from having to pay out an enormous up-front cost for the equipment (like we did before they did contracts), they do this thing called "leasing".. True the customer does not own the equipment, but it still gets used (and in a lot of households, abused). And as such it must be refurbished (or replaced) before it is issued to the next customer. Now the manufacturers don't do this refurbishing for free out of the goodness of their hearts, they charge for it.

So you see, when they are subsidizing thousands of dollars worth of equipment to every one of their customers (which they replace for free if it fails), they need to make sure that you stay with them long enough to make back at least the depreciated cost of the equipment plus what it costs to refurbish it, plus the dish that you don't have to return, plus the cost of the installation that they eat, plus a hedge against any potential replacements, PLUS all the new customer rebates and credits, PLUS make a profit off you. How long does that take, you ask? My guess is about a year and a half.

The alternative is to go back to the days where you had to lay out big cash to buy all the equipment, and if it broke past the warranty, tough sh*t, you have to buy a new one. I wonder what retail on an HR24 is.. And you still had to pay the 'mirroring fee' back when you owned the equipment, so when push comes to shove, there's no advantage whatsoever to owning your equipment (the only one I can think of is you can put a bigger hard drive into a DVR).

Oh and thanks to some certain morons in Washington, if people are having trouble making ends meet, they don't need to cut back on the amenities, they can just stop paying their mortgages and the banks will bail them out courtesy of us, the taxpayers. Now where else have I heard that before...

Last edited:
Thread has clearly run its course and all its turned into is a bickering match so I'm closing it

ironically tvropro has whined that threads in the 1DTV area turn into threads about DBS....yet he did the same thing here

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)