How painless and quick was your "move"?

Derwin0 said:
Harrisburg is considered a non-1000 market so they will put up a 61.5 dish.

That's what I thought, but the CLUELESS CSR said I would get a 1000. I already have one pointing at 61.5. That's exactly why I don't need an installer to install my 622. :rolleyes:

pajer said:
If i were to "move" would i automatically lose my current local dma of johnstown/altoona pa? I currently also have nyc and la distants. I am looking at moving to the nyc area as to pick up the nyc locals and hd locals and drop the nyc distants. I would like to keep the johnstown/altoona locals so i can keep the wife happy so she can keep up on the local news.

If you move to the NYC DMA, you will loose Altoona. Plus you might even loose the LA feeds as well. I currently get the SD LA feeds, but at this point I don't care if I loose them. Since I'm getting another DVR (that'll make 3), I shouldn't miss anything since that's really the only reason I have them.

pajer said:
If i were to "move" would i automatically lose my current local dma of johnstown/altoona pa? I currently also have nyc and la distants. I am looking at moving to the nyc area as to pick up the nyc locals and hd locals and drop the nyc distants. I would like to keep the johnstown/altoona locals so i can keep the wife happy so she can keep up on the local news.
If you can convince her that Harrisburg is "local" enough, you can "move" to Chambersburg and get Harrisburg & Washington locals with Washington HD locals.

Need a little help

Ok.... I live just outiside of Austin, TX and I am considering one of two types of "moves" for a "consulting job".

1) The Texas Rangers games are carried on the Austin UPN affilate when they are not on FOXSW. I obviously get the games on FOXSW but Dish Network does not have the Austin UPN affiliate available to me as a local channel. So I only get about half of the games. I cannot get MLB extra innings because I am in the blackout area.

Can I move my physical address to Dallas/FTWorth and receive the Dallas UPN affilate? Or is Austin too far to get Dallas local programming? Spotbeam issues?

2) My Fiance' just moved in with me from Philadelphia. She wants the Philly local channels and promised me great things if I can pull it off! :) Since Philly is now on HD, can I "move" to Philly and pick up the HD local channels? I have the new VIP HD-DVR?

Obviously I will do one or the other. Are any possible?

I've considered "moving" to possibly pickup SNY...which brings 2 questions:

1. I live just south of Charlotte, NC...does that put me too far away to see the channel? (if SNY is on a spotbeam?)

2. If I was to do so, and get NY locals instead of CLT locals, would I lose guide data for the Charlotte stations I get OTA?

Since we are talking about "moving", once I sign back up with E* and lease a 622, will I be able to move with the reciever? I know it's a snap with a purchased reciever, but I've never leased from them. I'm hoping it's OK, so after a couple months at my actual address, I can relocate to a white area.

Jeff_R said:
Since we are talking about "moving", once I sign back up with E* and lease a 622, will I be able to move with the reciever? I know it's a snap with a purchased reciever, but I've never leased from them. I'm hoping it's OK, so after a couple months at my actual address, I can relocate to a white area.

I thought this thread was dead!

I just "moved" on Monday. Everything went smooth as silk and took less than 5 mins to get all the locals and HD LILs from Washington DC, plus I got the Harrisburg locals as well which I already had. I didn't lose anything but gained all the DC locals in SD and HD.

What you have to watch out for is if your physically located in the spotbeam for which local channels you want to get. If they are CONUS, no problem. In my case, the spotbeam that the DC locals are on covers me.

I'm not sure, but I don't think HD LILs coming from 61.5 are spotbeamed.

dead3ye said:
I thought this thread was dead!

I just "moved" on Monday. Everything went smooth as silk and took less than 5 mins to get all the locals and HD LILs from Washington DC, plus I got the Harrisburg locals as well which I already had. I didn't lose anything but gained all the DC locals in SD and HD.

What you have to watch out for is if your physically located in the spotbeam for which local channels you want to get. If they are CONUS, no problem. In my case, the spotbeam that the DC locals are on covers me.

I'm not sure, but I don't think HD LILs coming from 61.5 are spotbeamed.

So a leased receiver will be OK to "move"? I've "moved" previously with Dish when I had them about 3 years ago, but I owned all of my recievers. With now starting with a leased receiver, I wasn't sure about the ease of moving.

Thanks!

Jeff_R said:
So a leased receiver will be OK to "move"? I've "moved" previously with Dish when I had them about 3 years ago, but I owned all of my recievers. With now starting with a leased receiver, I wasn't sure about the ease of moving.

Thanks!

Yep. I just did it with the leased 622 (I own my 510). I don't think it matters whether they are leased or not.

BTW, I did lose my LA feeds with the move. I was grandfathered in since I had them from the beginning (8 yrs). Since I moved, I lost them. Not a big deal to me.

Here is a "Moving" tip:

If you currently have a set of locals, and want to "move" but keep your old ones too, don't select the option of changing your address when you call, but speak with the indian people.

They will change your address and not turn off the old locals, then go online, and turn on the new ones. ( Of course, you have to pay for both sets, and the old one *MAY* go away at any time if they were to audit your channels. )

I've noticed if you call and select the address change option, they now turn off the old ones and turn on the new ones for you.

I've helped a few people in my area, and my folks "move" and this is just what my expirences show.

They will change your address and not turn off the old locals, then go online, and turn on the new ones.
That happened with me. I then called back and had the previous locals (Atlanta) removed since they would be worthless to me to pay the extra $5.99 since they were going to spotbeam. The tech support waved the $5.00 drop programming fee when I pointed out that it was their mistake to leave Atlanta.

BTW, I did lose my LA feeds with the move. I was grandfathered in since I had them from the beginning (8 yrs). Since I moved, I lost them.
I got to keep mine (ABC, CBS, Fox), but I had waivers on them so that probably made a difference.

<Also the address in Chambersburg I used qualified for DNS (ABC, CBS, Fox) on the dish locals lookup page.>
edit - The DNS's no longer appear on the address screen. I was probably able to keep them as I have waivers for the 3.

Last edited:
I didn't actually move, but about 2 1/2 months ago I purchased a 622 and Installed it myself. Then when I called I gave my "service" address as my friends address in Foxborough, Ma (Boston DMA) and my "billing" address as my actual address in Pennsylvania. No problems so far got 3 bills at home already actual address is on the checks I mail in and so far so good. We will see how long this lasts with eX comming aboard, but with some of the expected spotbeam maps it seems I might be OK. I hope so I actually like the service, all the Pats games no ST needed. Oh, well if I loose them in the new spotbeams, I guess it is back to the expressvu & directv combo and more money out of my pocket for ST and EI.

So are the Philly HD locals available across the US or are they on spotbeam? Sorry, I've read lots of threads but not sure what it is that I am reading.

spot

bryanmf said:
So are the Philly HD locals available across the US or are they on spotbeam? Sorry, I've read lots of threads but not sure what it is that I am reading.
Spot only

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)