How PlayStation 3 Works

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/playstation-three.htm

The Sony PlayStation dynasty has ruled the console market since the introduction of the original PlayStation in 1994. There are 13,000 video game titles available worldwide for PlayStation products, and more are released monthly. Sony plans to continue its market dominance with the latest version of its successful console, the PlayStation 3.

[FONT=arial,helvetica]
ps3-new-black.jpg

[SIZE=-2]©2006 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]PlayStation 3[/SIZE][/FONT]
Officially unveiled at the 2005 E3 Expo in Los Angeles, CA, the PlayStation 3 is once again creating a lot of buzz at this year's Expo thanks to its revamped controller and news of the official launch dates and prices (read on for more information).
In this article, we'll take an in-depth look at the PlayStation 3. We'll learn about the ground-breaking new microprocessor at the heart of the PS3, the powerful graphics processor that supports hi-def graphics at unprecedented resolutions and the console's controller makeover, among other things.
[FONT=arial,helvetica] [SIZE=+1]Online Gaming: PC vs Console?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Will behemoths like Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii replace PCs as the network gamers' platform of choice?
Make your case here. [/SIZE][/FONT]
Sony designed the PlayStation 3 to be more than just a video game console. It supports all kinds of digital entertainment and is basically a home-entertainment computer. This computer sports a specially designed CPU called the Cell processor. Sony, Toshiba and IBM worked together to develop the Cell processor. It's their answer to the growing trend toward multi-core processing, in which manufacturers place as many processors as possible onto one chip. The Cell processor is scalable for different performance needs. The one used in the PlayStation 3 crams 234 million transistors onto a single die. For comparison, one of the most powerful desktop PC CPUs available in 2005, the $1,000, dual-core Pentium Processor Extreme Edition, just barely breaks the 200-million-transistor mark.
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
ps-three-11.jpg

[SIZE=-2]Photo courtesy IBM[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Big power, tiny package: There are 234 million transistors on this microprocessor. [/SIZE][/FONT]The setup of the Cell processor is like having a team of processors all working together on one chip to handle the large computational workload needed to run next-generation video games. In order to understand how the Cell processor works, it helps to look at each of the major parts that comprise this processor.
The "Processing Element" of the Cell is a 3.2-GHz PowerPC core equipped with 512 KB of L2 cache. The PowerPC core is a type of microprocessor similar to the one you would find running the Apple G5. It's a powerful processor on its own and could easily run a computer by itself; but in the Cell, the PowerPC core is not the sole processor. Instead, it's more of a "managing processor." It delegates processing to the eight other processors on the chip, the Synergistic Processing Elements.
The computational workload comes in through the PowerPC core. The core then assesses the work that needs to be done, looks at what the SPEs are currently processing and decides how to best dole out the workload to achieve maximum efficiency.
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=+1]Just the Facts, Ma'am[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]When? It's set to hit store shelves in the United States on November 17, 2006.
How much? The anticipated price of the 60GB configuration is $549 and expect the 20GB configuration to go for $499. [/SIZE][/FONT]The SPEs used in the Cell processor are each SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data), 128-bit vector processors. Vector processors are designed to quickly process several pieces of data at once. They were commonly used in the 1980s in large, powerful, scientific supercomputers and were created as a faster alternative to the more common scalar processor. Scalar processors can only work one data element at a time. Despite this limitation, advances in scalar design and performance have made the use of vector processors very rare these days in most computers. However, because of the vector processor's ability to handle several data elements at once, IBM resurrected this design for the Cell. There are eight SPEs on the chip, but only seven of them handle processing. The eighth SPE is built in as redundancy in case one of the other seven fails.
The SPEs each come loaded with 256 KB SRAM. This high-speed memory helps each SPE crunch numbers quickly. The SPE memory is also visible to the main Processing Element. This allows the PowerPC Core to utilize the resources of each SPE in the most efficient way possible. All of this amounts to unprecedented power for a piece of consumer electronics.
Because graphics are so important to computers (and especially computers designed to play video games), there are microprocessors dedicated only to creating and displaying computer graphics. This processor is called the Graphic Processing Unit (GPU). One of the most anticipated aspects of the PlayStation 3 is the new GPU that was created for it -- the RSX "Reality Synthesizer."
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
ps-three-8.jpg

[SIZE=-2]©2005 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Reality Synthesizer GPU has the power to create the realistic environments of the upcoming PS3 game "The Getaway 3."[/SIZE][/FONT]
Sony designed the RSX with graphics-card manufacturer Nvidia. The RSX is based on Nvidia's GeForce graphics technology. It's a 550-MHz, 300-million-transistor graphics chip. To put that in perspective, according to this Nvidia press release, the number of transistors on the RSX is "more than the total number of transistors in both the central processing units and the graphics processing units of the three leading current-generation systems, combined."
Unlike the GPU in the Xbox 360, the RSX is built on the traditional independent vertex/pixel shader architecture. Shaders are computer programs that determine the final look of what you see on the screen when you're looking at computer animation. To learn about shaders, see our answer to this question, "What are Gouraud shading and texture mapping in 3-D video games?"
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
ps-three-9.jpg

[SIZE=-2]©2005 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Real-time lighting, shadows and reflections add to the level of realism in games like "The Getaway 3."[/SIZE][/FONT]
All of this translated to a level of graphic detail never before seen on a video-game console. The 2005 demo model could output 1080p HD signals at a resolution of 1920x1080. It could also send HD signals via two separate HDMI outputs, allowing for dual-HDTV video-game displays. However, reportedly now that capability is gone. With only one HDMI output remaining on the current model, the 1080p HD signals boasted during last year's show are no longer "in the picture" so to speak. The PS3 should still support 480i, 480p and 720p.

$550 bucks for a machine that only goes up to 720p!!!!!!!!

Where do I get in line!!!!

1) Don't post an article about how great the CELL is. They have to prove it after I listened to identical claims of greatness about the Emotion Engine which failed...

2) Those pics are old, and rendered. Not In-Game. And I like how it tells you it's built on "traditional" architechture, like that's a good thing. I think MS knows a bit more about graphics cards than Sony does, which is why Sony is using who MS used to use, and MS has moved on. Odd that the only ps3 game i've seen played live looks like an xbox game...I need to watch more coverage this weekend...

3) It's widely believed that Sony has really screwed up in a lot of ways.

4) It's $599

5) Otherwise nice post...I envy 6mb internet...

VIPERS-PIT said:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/playstation-three.htm

the 1080p HD signals boasted during last year's show are no longer "in the picture" so to speak. The PS3 should still support 480i, 480p and 720p[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE].
$550 bucks for a machine that only goes up to 720p!!!!!!!!
Where do I get in line!!!!
This is the first that I have heard of the P3 not doing 1080i. I feel that when all is said and done it will do 1080i. The link that Smoky provided has details to support it. But, I do not feel that the P3 has to or should be 1080p. What's the point anyway....most of the HD tv's that have been sold are 1080i. It is technology that most likely will never been used in a majority of homes.

Well the link that smoky provides isn't very good because it contradicts itself a bunch of times, and is sometimes outdated info. At one point it lists the resolutions, then a quarter of a page down it does it again and doesn't have 720p listed...

Damn fan sites, they mean well but Quality Control is not something they're familiar with...

Here's a press release for you and the link.http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/341
May 8, 2006
PLAYSTATION®3 LAUNCHES ON NOVEMBER 17, 2006 IN NORTH AMERICA

Equipped with Blu-ray and Pre-Installed HDD
United States: US $499 (20GB HDD) and US $599 (60GB HDD)
Canada: CAN $549 (20GB HDD) and CAN $659 (60GB HDD)

Los Angeles, May 8, 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced today that it would launch PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) in “Clear Black” in North America on November 17, 2006, as part of a worldwide simultaneous launch.
PS3 is the most advanced computer system that serves as a platform to enjoy next generation computer entertainment contents in the home, realized through the combination of Cell and RSX™ processors, in addition to the playability of a vast catalog of PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 software titles.
Having Giga-bit Ethernet and a pre-installed hard disk drive (HDD) as standard in PS3, users will be able to download a variety of contents as well as access on-line games and services over the network.
Equipped with basic input/output ports, PS3 supports a broad range of displays from conventional NTSC/PAL standard TVs to the latest full HD (1080i/1080p) flat panel displays, offering the joy of the most advanced computer entertainment contents to homes around the world. For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2.
With the overwhelming computational power of the Cell processor, PS3 is capable of playing back content from Blu-ray (BD) disc at a bit rate of multiplex 48Mbps with ease, the maximum bit rate defined in BD standards.
The new controller for PS3 has been created by refining and improving the world’s most popular PlayStation controller which has shipped more than several hundred million units worldwide. The controller for PS3 employs a high-precision, highly sensitive six-axis sensing system that is capable of processing all parameters within the controller itself, thereby eliminating the need for any additional settings on the display system. By applying this technology, it will become possible to freely control the PS3 system over the network.
While further enhancing the joy of entertainment on PlayStation 2 and PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system, SCEA will vigorously promote PS3 as the next generation computer entertainment platform.
About Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation® and PS one™ game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system. The PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system is set to revolutionize the home entertainment market, offering the most compelling interactive content and the capability to be used as a network terminal in the coming broadband era. PSP is a new portable entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio.
Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. markets the PlayStation family of products and develops, publishes, markets and distributes software for the PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and the PSP entertainment system for the North American market. Based in Foster City, Calif. Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Those links start from http://www.sony.com, your 720p display will be supported.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts