How safe is it to sell your reciever?

kaash

Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
Hello all,
I've got two Dish 311 recievers that I'had bought six months ago and now I'd like sell it off online. My Dish Network account has been paid off with no money owed and has been closed.
My concern is : Is it safe to sell it with a slide-in programming YELLOW CARD 'coz users may modify it for their use? or sell them with out the card?
your response would be gr8ly appreciated.
thanks
Kaash

When you closed your account did you tell them that you would be selling the receivers?
As long as there is no outstanding balance. I would think someone would get pretty upset, if they
were to purchase the receiver from you - then find out you didn't include the smartcard.

Dish doesn't sell individual smartcards. It's better off just to include them with the sell.
You might mention to Dish that you are wanting to sell them. CSR's can clear the access card for resale.
So you wouldn't be liable for anything that would happen in the future with that card.

When you closed your account did you tell them that you would be selling the receivers?

CSR's can "wash" access cards so that they are cleared for resale. Most of the time you can sell them either way. As long as there is no outstanding balance.

no I did'nt tell them about my intentions of re-selling it so they are not washed. Would I be in trouble if I sell it unwashed? I mean would I be held liable if the cards get re-programmed illegally?

I've never really worried about it. Once the receiver is reactivated, it's under someone else's name. I'm not really sure what people do to pirate them.

If you want to play it safe, if you contact a local retailer - they can get the receiver cleared for resell.

If it were me, I wouldn't be worried about it.

Best thing to do is to call Dish and tell them to release the receivers from your account. Once you do that you can put the receivers for sale in the classifieds section at Satguys. :)

I've sold receivers on eBay before, always with the cards, and never had a problem with the buyer or Dish. I just made sure the receiver was clear and paid up.

Leave the card with it, if it has one, however a 311 does not have a removable card.

Best thing to do is to call Dish and tell them to release the receivers from your account. Once you do that you can put the receivers for sale in the classifieds section at Satguys. :)

Receivers remain tied to the previous customer's account until they're activated on someone new. You can't call the customer service number and ask them to remove a receiver from an account, it's not an ability they have.

Receivers remain tied to the previous customer's account until they're activated on someone new. You can't call the customer service number and ask them to remove a receiver from an account, it's not an ability they have.

Sorry but they do have the ability to "release" from your account. I've done before and it's been recommended in the forums before.

yes

311's do not have separate smart cards on the 311 they are built into the circuit board.
yes you are right...my fault...for some odd reason I was thinking that my recievers had access cards but like you and others said it has'em internally.
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll get'em cleared off from DN and then'll try to sell them off.
peace
Kaash

Hello all,
I've got two Dish 311 recievers that I'had bought six months ago and now I'd like sell it off online. My Dish Network account has been paid off with no money owed and has been closed.
My concern is : Is it safe to sell it with a slide-in programming YELLOW CARD 'coz users may modify it for their use? or sell them with out the card?
your response would be gr8ly appreciated.
thanks
Kaash
receivers not in use and accounts paid in full and current are eligible to be redeployed...Yes you may sell them as is....

Receivers remain tied to the previous customer's account until they're activated on someone new.
I didn't bother following up earlier, but with the post above stating the contrary view, I'll add this. I recently gave my mom Sky Angel for Christmas using my old receiver. Dish Business Services (the folks who deal with Sky Angel subs) stated flatly that I could not disconnect my old receiver from my current account, and that my mother (or Sky Angel) would have to do it. And so they did. My experience with the usual Dish CS, as well as their Business Services division, is that the latter are far better trained.

Nevertheless, if RandallA says he did it, then presumably he found somebody who at least said they did it. How would he know whether it had really been removed from his old account, or not?

So I'm with you (and Dish Business Services) on this question.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts