How: Same recorded show playing on 2 TVs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rickaren

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2004
IN
New Hopper (2 w/Sling) Owner and love them but I want to have the same recording on at the same time playing on my #1 Hopper and the linked Joey in the Kitchen. I figured out that this can be done in "Live" mode, or that I can play both at the same time in both locations but not in sync (start over). What am I doing wrong? I read about how to mirror a TV to the Hopper Network, but that is not the same. I understand that I can pause the program in the TH room and restart it in the kitchen, but Wife wants the same show I'm watching on the Hopper (#1 HT room) on in the kitchen, playing in sync.

THANKS!

You should be able to view the program you want in one room then go to the other room and select the same tuner to share. Then you would be watching the same thing on both TVs and only using the one tuner. Should just have to press the red shortcut button.

You should be able to view the program you want in one room then go to the other room and select the same tuner to share. Then you would be watching the same thing on both TVs and only using the one tuner. Should just have to press the red shortcut button.

I thought the same thing, but he said recording. I don't think there is a way to do exactly what you are asking. You could hit start over at both locations at the same time.

I figured out that yes if you are recording the show you can join into it at more than one location, but I'm talking about a per-recorded program that you want to share, and to be synced together. Guess we are spoiled since this is how we did it with our previous Home Distribution System. We had 4 TVs and a computer all hooked together for DISH & DirecTV viewing. (I canceled DirecTV last Thursday) Wife would say said she was going into the kitchen to start fixing dinner and would turn on the TV in there. It was the same program as what was being played back in the HT room and I could even cut-out the commercials from there and that would do the same for the kitchen viewing. I also understand using Hopper that you could start a per-recorded program at the same time in two locations and if it did not have commercials, like HBO movie or even if you used the Prime Time Live option that could work.

Can't believe we are the only ones that would want to have this as a function.

I figured out that yes if you are recording the show you can join into it at more than one location, but I'm talking about a per-recorded program that you want to share, and to be synced together. Guess we are spoiled since this is how we did it with our previous Home Distribution System. We had 4 TVs and a computer all hooked together for DISH & DirecTV viewing. (I canceled DirecTV last Thursday) Wife would say said she was going into the kitchen to start fixing dinner and would turn on the TV in there. It was the same program as what was being played back in the HT room and I could even cut-out the commercials from there and that would do the same for the kitchen viewing. I also understand using Hopper that you could start a per-recorded program at the same time in two locations and if it did not have commercials, like HBO movie or even if you used the Prime Time Live option that could work.

Can't believe we are the only ones that would want to have this as a function.
rickaren, you and your wife do the same exact thing my wife and I do, except she makes me work the remote all the time. LOL Lotsa times I have things to do so I put on my wireless headset and I am all over the house doing things. I just turn on all the TVs where I might be or going back and fourth. Usually the garage, basement, upstairs in the office, etc. I have remote controls all over the place. Anyway, getting back to our dilemma, what I am going to do when I switch to Hopper / Joey in a couple of weeks is to install RF Modulators on each Hopper. In fact I have them installed now on my two 722ks and one 722 testing them. The Modulator signal goes to my home distribution splitter and then to all TVs. It is not HD on all the TVs but it is better than nothing. This way we will be able to sync together. I hope Dish can do something about this but I doubt we will see it. It seems to me if you can sync live TV, why not a recorded program too!

rickaren, you and your wife do the same exact thing my wife and I do, except she makes me work the remote all the time. LOL Lotsa times I have things to do so I put on my wireless headset and I am all over the house doing things. I just turn on all the TVs where I might be or going back and fourth. Usually the garage, basement, upstairs in the office, etc. I have remote controls all over the place. Anyway, getting back to our dilemma, what I am going to do when I switch to Hopper / Joey in a couple of weeks is to install RF Modulators on each Hopper. In fact I have them installed now on my two 722ks and one 722 testing them. The Modulator signal goes to my home distribution splitter and then to all TVs. It is not HD on all the TVs but it is better than nothing. This way we will be able to sync together. I hope Dish can do something about this but I doubt we will see it. It seems to me if you can sync live TV, why not a recorded program too!

Thanks for your reply and with the quality of the LCD sets these days SD doesn't look all that bad on 32" sets. If I can mount a switch near the TVs, since I have two coax at each TV locations (one now unused) in our home, your installing of Modulators on each Hopper could work for me too. Please post what you have done, if it works out, and what equipment is needed. My distribution system is located in garage with the newly installed Duo Node. Again thanks for your reply and posting of any future developments.

Only other issue I have, and that has already been discussed in other Threads, is being able to see the timers set on the #2 Hopper from the #1 Hopper. I can live with that, but one would hope that a future up-date could solve that.

Thanks for your reply and with the quality of the LCD sets these days SD doesn't look all that bad on 32" sets. If I can mount a switch near the TVs, since I have two coax at each TV locations (one now unused) in our home, your installing of Modulators on each Hopper could work for me too. Please post what you have done, if it works out, and what equipment is needed. My distribution system is located in garage with the newly installed Duo Node. Again thanks for your reply and posting of any future developments.

Only other issue I have, and that has already been discussed in other Threads, is being able to see the timers set on the #2 Hopper from the #1 Hopper. I can live with that, but one would hope that a future up-date could solve that.

I hope to have a three Hopper / two Joey install. At each Hopper location I have four coax. Satellite, OTA, Modulate Out to the home distribution splitter, and also Modulate In coax from the home distribution splitter. At one of the Joeys I just have one coax, kids room so that is enough. In the garage I have two coax, one for the Joey and one for Modulate In from the home distribution system. Just added the second coax this week in the garage. Look at my Avatar pic which is my coax headend area in the basement. Attached is a wiring diagram of my present 722 system. Basically all that will really change is the addition of Nodes and another DPP44 switch. And of course the Hoppers and Joeys. See if the diagram will help you figure it out. You should be ok with just two coax to your home distribution. Attach the RF Modulator to the RCA ports on the Hopper and then to the coax. View attachment Distribution DiagramAlt-1Arrow.ppt

Do you really have to use bold colored text? More important than anyone else?

My mistake! I'm a Moderator for a Discussion Group (over 11K posts) and I always post in color & bold over there, to distinguish myself. No reason to do that here. Sorry to offend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)