How Similar is Dish 942 to Tivo DVRs?

edp

Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
I am wanting to upgrade my Dish 311 to the Dish 942 so that I can get HD programming with my new HDTV and also record shows in HD or SD.

I currently use a Tivo Series2 DVR with my Dish 311 Receiver. I love my Tivo and all of the simple recording and finding shows functions (ie, Season Pass, Keyword Title Lookup, etc).

What are the 'main' differences between the Dish 942 and Tivo Series2(especially the functions)? I know about the 942 and their HD capability, can hook up to 2 TV's to it etc. Just want to know if the Dish 942 is comparable in terms of finding and recording shows.

Is the Dish 942 as reliable as the Tivo Series2 DVR's?

Any details would be appreciated!

edp said:
I am wanting to upgrade my Dish 311 to the Dish 942 so that I can get HD programming with my new HDTV and also record shows in HD or SD.

I currently use a Tivo Series2 DVR with my Dish 311 Receiver. I love my Tivo and all of the simple recording and finding shows functions (ie, Season Pass, Keyword Title Lookup, etc).

What are the 'main' differences between the Dish 942 and Tivo Series2(especially the functions)? I know about the 942 and their HD capability, can hook up to 2 TV's to it etc. Just want to know if the Dish 942 is comparable in terms of finding and recording shows.

Is the Dish 942 as reliable as the Tivo Series2 DVR's?

Any details would be appreciated!

Your last question is the one that REALLY matters. I'll answer it with a question of my own:

Have you ever seen any Tivo discussion website with a separate/special session devoted to Tivo software release issues?

tds4182 said:
Your last question is the one that REALLY matters. I'll answer it with a question of my own:

Have you ever seen any Tivo discussion website with a separate/special session devoted to Tivo software release issues?

Actually yes. Over at www.tivocommunity.com there has been a huge discussion about the latest software releases. That being said, I think TiVo is great, but it has its own issues.

I am a Tivo customer from the first month of its release, and I just became a 942 user. I am satisfied with the dvr capability of the 942. I would not say there are any glaring differences between the Tivo and DISH' 942 dvr, notwithstanding not having to take off the IR window tape from the old DISH box I had when I inadvertently went to a channel I did not get on DISH, while scrolling on Tivo; then finding a channel on DISH which was "acceptable," then tuning the Tivo back to that channel, etc. The unfortunate problem of a less-than-optimal Tivo/DISH interface.

As to the specific issues you mentioned, DISH 942 does have what constitutes a "season pass," one which the user can select new programs to the current season, or all programs, etc. There is also the DISH Pass, which lets you input the title of what you want, much like the Tivo system, with the option of either using the cursor to select letters, or using the remote keypad like one spells out names with a cell phone keypad. One thing to note, DISH only goes out nine days with the program information, not the fourteen of Tivo.

All in all, I would say a Tivo user can make the adjustments easily, without feeling a loss of benefits by going to the DISH dvr. I do like the 30 second skip ahead button, and the multispeed full fast forward, plus it has a five second "rewind" button for those who overshoot the point to start watching (unlike Tivo, DISH dvr does not have the short "default" rewind to account for speeding past the stop point).

I have been a DISH/Tivo user for over ten years, and a DISH 942 user for a few weeks. I would strongly recommend the 942, I have not had a single problem, notwithstanding the apparent tribulations of others on these forums.

I have a Dish 942 so that I can get HD Programming on one of my Plasma HDTV's and SD on the other. The Dish 942 does not have DVD 'burning' capabilities though. In order to 'burn' DVD from TV shows I record, I would purchase a Humax DRT800 DVR that has DVD burning capability.

What I want to find out is if I can hookup the Dish 942 to the Humax so that I can use both DVR's for seperate purposes. 1) Use the Dish 942 to record shows in HD or SD. Then use the Humax DRT800 to record shows my Dish service so that I can 'burn' this show on DVD as well as use the Humax as my DVD and CD player as well.

Is there a way I can make this work? Can I connect each of them together to perform these functions without conflict? Humax told me that their DRT800 is compatible with the Dish 942, but that I would have to record shows from the Humax in order to burn the show on DVD. And....I would need the Tivo subcription to do this with the Humax.

Is this hookup possible? Is there a way to 'manually' control each DVD for the actions I mentioned above? Which DVR would control the other? Please advise! Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)