How the RTV changes affected you...

How did the RTV - Tuff TV change affect your viewing habits?

• Watch more RTV / Tuff TV

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Watch about the same amount of RTV / Tuff TV

Votes: 30 43.5%
  • Watch less RTV / Tuff TV

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Don't care...

Votes: 14 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

guapoharry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
32ºN 111ºW
By now, probably most people who watch RTV from 83ºW Ku band know the RTV West feed was replaced by Tuff TV.

After this change, it seems like people may have been affected somehow. How were you affected?

watch more because of Tuff TV,,,remember when it was on G10 with Equity and now enjoy it again

RTV is about the same

The RTV's picture not as good as is used to be.:( But I hope they crank up the bitrate for soon to be a new 3rd subchannel.

My local station KRTN-LD, is still foot draggings to carry RTV on ch. 39 here in Albuquerque's TV market!!:rant:

I didn't watch the West feed too much, as I prefered the East feed. The West feed had that annoying dotted line down the side. The picture quality has certainly took a hit. The addition of TUFFTV adds more movies and episodes of The Rifleman. Hopefully we will either see a third channel appear, or they will change the encoder settings to give us a better picture. The encoding when it was RTN was better in my opinion. The other issue I have had lately, is my second PC card for recording is very particular about the frequency. I have had to adjust the frequency +1 as I was getting 0 byte recordings during the day. Initially I thought that my LNBF was drifting too much, but this has happened with 3 different Invacom LNBF's. The LNBF's must be drifting slightly, as it has been getting warmer lately, but I think that the card is just very particular about the frequency and I had the frequency set at the lower limit of the signal. Seems to be fine now. Overall, I like the addition of TUFFTV, but would like to see improvement on the encoding. If I had C band capability, then this would not be an issue, but I'm Ku only.
I voted Watch about the same.

It was nice when they had the west coast feed, so I could watch Adam 12/Dragnet at 1700pst. So now, if I'm home, I watch it at 1400pst. Maybe it's time to get a DVR for my receiver.

BTW, I'm able to pull the signal in on AMC9 with a .95cm antenna. I get some pixelation and blocking, but I would expect that considering their overall bitrate and the amount of content they're jamming into the carrier.

As for Tuff TV, I'm an old business acquaintance of Buck McNeely and I get a kick out of his shows.

We might not be watching it at all on Ku (don't know if they will also encrypt the C-band) if they go through with encrypting it.
"Actually amc is a service for tv stations and not a direct to home service at all .amc-9 is the back up feed for tv stations and is not authorized to be used as a common carrier for direct to home use. We do not want to encrypt the feed but will if needed."

Wonder if it's a location issue...? There's no problem for East coast folk...

Are the affected people on Ku band and closer to the west coast?

As for me, I used to watch RTV West every day at around dinner time. The programs I watched run at 1-3 in the afternoon on the East feed. I'm not watching RTV any more, 'cause I don't have a PVR set up.

Not complaining, just an explanation.

Whatever....., watch too much TV anyway... :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)