How to Add A Hopper

rjfrandle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
So I currently have 1 Hopper and 1 Joey. I would like to add another receiver, but I would rather have another hopper instead of another joey. Is there a trick to getting that, or will dish insist I add another joey? Either way, it only adds another 7 bucks to my monthly bill right?

To your monthly bill, yes. You may have to pay a one time cost to obtain the 2nd hopper.

You'll likely have to go through a local retailer to get it. They will charge labor and installation fees, and will probably charge for the receiver.

Dishdepot.com has a HWS for $200 if you are comfortable doing the install yourself (and it will not extend your contract if you purchase it). You will need a Duo node (you likely have a Solo node now) - Dish or a retailer would install this for you if you get it installed through them.

Otherwise you can get it installed through Dish - you will have to add another Joey but the general consensus here is that you can refuse it at installation time or have it installed and then call in later and say you decided you don't want to keep it.

So, we are getting closer to adding another room to our house, and wanting the extra hopper. So those of you that have done it, what is the best way to go about this. Should I set up an install with Dish? Do I tell them I need another hopper and joey. (They won't let me add just another hopper right?) Then I try to refuse the joey the day of the install right? I have the home protection plan, so will the install be just 15 bucks then or more? Yes I know. Lots of questions, but I want to do this without having to a huge install charge and get stuck with a joey, I don't need. Thanks for your help in advance.

The price depends on your standing with Dish and who you communicate with. If you're a long time customer in good standing the install fee could be waived......should be waived.
I would contact a Dish representative aka DIRT here. They are very helpful and are more knowledgeable then the people who answer the phone....or so I've read.

I just ordered a duo node from eBay $33.00, ordered a hopper with sling from dish depot for $179 (Easter Sunday sale, they're normally $199), ran a third line from dish to the duo node myself, connected hopper, waited for it to do all its updates, pulled up dish chat and they added the hopper to my account for $7/ month. Simple if you can run your own lines. I happened to have a box of rg-6, compression fittings, and compression tool already. If you don't have all that, might be cheaper to have dish install for you if you have the protection plan, of course you will have to extend your contract if you get the hopper from them.

I just ordered a duo node from eBay $33.00, ordered a hopper with sling from dish depot for $179 (Easter Sunday sale, they're normally $199), ran a third line from dish to the duo node myself, connected hopper, waited for it to do all its updates, pulled up dish chat and they added the hopper to my account for $7/ month. Simple if you can run your own lines. I happened to have a box of rg-6, compression fittings, and compression tool already. If you don't have all that, might be cheaper to have dish install for you if you have the protection plan, of course you will have to extend your contract if you get the hopper from them.

Nice! Great job! I did the same exact thing when I added two more Hoppers to our setup (four Hoppers total, and they can see each other!)

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

So what do I have to pay to add another Hopper if I have Dish install it? Is there a fee in addition to the installation fee?

Anywhere from $15 if your have the protection plan and a good csr agent. Up to $100 for a full tech visit fee

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

So there isn't a 200 dollar upgrade fee to have a second hopper then? If there is a spendy upgrade fee, I would probably do like Avail did and buy one and install it myself.

So there isn't a 200 dollar upgrade fee to have a second hopper then? If there is a spendy upgrade fee, I would probably do like Avail did and buy one and install it myself.

Hopper 1 is $0-$50 upgrade fee, Hopper 2 is $100-$200 upgrade fee, tech visit is $0-$95.

I'm sure I can install it myself. The only thing I'm not quite sure of is the wires coming from my dish. I have a 1000 dish and right now I only have 2 wires coming from the dish to the solo node. Where do I get the 3rd wire from the dish when I change the solo node to a duo node?

I'm sure I can install it myself. The only thing I'm not quite sure of is the wires coming from my dish. I have a 1000 dish and right now I only have 2 wires coming from the dish to the solo node. Where do I get the 3rd wire from the dish when I change the solo node to a duo node?

Do you mean you have the original DISH 1000?

Do you mean you have the original DISH 1000?

Not sure what you mean. It says Dish Network 1000. Is slightly oval and has an dual LNB aimed at 119 and 110, and a seperate on for 129. Looks like four rg6 wires come out of the dish, but 2 loop back in. Haven't taken it apart to what's going on in there.

I have a dpp 1000.2 dish. 110, 119, and 129 are all on one dish for me. When you take the lnb off the front of the dish, there are four ports (on mine anyways) labeled 1-3 and lnb in, with a solo node, only 1 and 2 are connected to 1 and 2 on the solo node. when you add a duo, you connect 1,2, and run a new line for 3 from the dish to the node so that all 3 are now used. I'm not sure how it would work with your dish, if at all. You ,MAY need a new dish, or switches to make it work, don't quote me on that. I'm only familiar with my specific dish model.

Not sure what you mean. It says Dish Network 1000. Is slightly oval and has an dual LNB aimed at 119 and 110, and a seperate on for 129. Looks like four rg6 wires come out of the dish, but 2 loop back in. Haven't taken it apart to what's going on in there.

Yep that's the original 1000. Has the DPP Twin for 119/110 and the DP Dual for 129. The DP Dual feed goes to the LNB IN on the DPP Twin's built-in DPP switch. The 119/110 ports each feed a single receiver all three sats and up to four tuners total with two dual-tuners, or three in the case of Hopper. Your options for two Hoppers is either replacing your 1000 with the 1000.2/1000.4 and run three feeds directly to the Duo Node, or stick with your current 1000, keep the existing lines from the DPP Twin (119/110) then disconnect the DP Dual from the DPP Twin and run another feed directly from the DP Dual. The three feeds will then need to be ran to a DPP44 multiswitch, then the three receiver feeds to the Duo Node.

Yep that's the original 1000. Has the DPP Twin for 119/110 and the DP Dual for 129. The DP Dual feed goes to the LNB IN on the DPP Twin's built-in DPP switch. The 119/110 ports each feed a single receiver all three sats and up to four tuners total with two dual-tuners, or three in the case of Hopper. Your options for two Hoppers is either replacing your 1000 with the 1000.2/1000.4 and run three feeds directly to the Duo Node, or stick with your current 1000, keep the existing lines from the DPP Twin (119/110) then disconnect the DP Dual from the DPP Twin and run another feed directly from the DP Dual. The three feeds will then need to be ran to a DPP44 multiswitch, then the three receiver feeds to the Duo Node.

Now its sounding like I better let dish do it. By the time I buy a hopper, duo node, multiswitch, etc.... it's gonna get kind of spendy. I was hoping to avoid the hassle of having to order a hopper and joey, and then dumping the joey that I don't need. I wish Dish would just let you add a hopper to a 1 hopper/1 joey setup.

Now its sounding like I better let dish do it. By the time I buy a hopper, duo node, multiswitch, etc.... it's gonna get kind of spendy. I was hoping to avoid the hassle of having to order a hopper and joey, and then dumping the joey that I don't need. I wish Dish would just let you add a hopper to a 1 hopper/1 joey setup.

I think you're right. They'll just put in a 1000.2/1000.4 and call it a night, most likely. Upgrade fee will probably be reasonable, since judging by the age of your dish, you've probably been with Dish for quite some time now.

I was hoping to avoid the hassle of having to order a hopper and joey, and then dumping the joey that I don't need. I wish Dish would just let you add a hopper to a 1 hopper/1 joey setup.

I believe that's only when you first order the hopper system. You don't have to do that to add a second hopper. They were just going to let me add a hopper with sling to my current 1 hopper, 2 joey setup, but maybe it's because I had a 2nd joey? What you can do to avoid that, is to buy the hopper for 199, then have dish install it.

They originally quoted me 15 for tech visit with protection plan, and 50 for "custom work" which they said is installing the third cable and the duo node.

For me, it was actually cheaper to buy the equipment and install myself for $179+$33 vs. 199 to add a hopper + 65 for tech to install + the 4-5 months @ 6/month or whatever it is that I would have to stay subscribed to the protection plan, since I don't normally have it.

Plus, I didn't have to renew my contract, which may or may not matter. Not that big of a deal to me, but if its cheaper and I don't have to renew, why not?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)