How to add or edit a satellite in E2 based receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
This is from El Bandido, and I made a few small edits for clarity:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: It is a good idea to store the satellite.xml file in the etc/enigma2 folder. It will not automatically be overwritten during online updates if it is stored in the etc/enigma2 folder.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open the satellites.xml file in a program for editing .xml files such as Notepad++. Here is an example.

HOW TO ADD AN ADDITIONAL SATELLITE, TO THE SATELLITES.XML FILE.

Use Notepad++ or other .xml editor:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, copy a present C or KU satellite entry (depending which type you need) that's already in the file, and then save it (in another tab, do NOT save or edit it in the regular Windows Notepad!) make your changes to the sat name & position. Then after your changes, copy/insert/paste/save it back into the actual .xml file you'll be using.

Then save that file back into root/etc/enigma2.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an example. We have changed this to: Galaxy 25 at 95W:

<sat name="95.0W Galaxy 25 Ku Band" flags="1" position="-952">
<transponder frequency="10957000" symbol_rate="2300000" polarization="1" fec_inner="4" system="1" modulation="2"/>
<transponder frequency="10983000" symbol_rate="12110000" polarization="1" fec_inner="0" system="0" modulation="1"/>
<transponder frequency="11033000" symbol_rate="1795000" polarization="0" fec_inner="4" system="1" modulation="2"/>
<transponder frequency="11483000" symbol_rate="3470000" polarization="1" fec_inner="0"
system="0" modulation="1"/>
<transponder frequency="11566000" symbol_rate="8000000" polarization="0" fec_inner="3"
system="1" modulation="2"/>
</sat>

It is important to remember that two satellites cannot have the exact same orbit position, else the file will not work correctly. So alter the satellite degrees by a tenth or two to keep the c/ku satellites from having the exact same orbit location. I prefer to alter the C band orbit instead of the ku band for USALS. The example above in red has an orbit location of 95.2 West (-952) in the receiver.

Insert the modified satellite back into the sat file, save it, and you are done. Put the modified sat file in the etc/enigma2 folder on the receiver. If it does not work, carefully check for mistakes. If you have a problem, you can simply delete the satellite file and reboot the box (there's a default copy in /tuxbox, do NOT edit that one!).

There is also a plugin named TS Sat Editor for some images that will allow you to modify the sat file using the receiver.

The blindscan plugin looks at the transponders in satellites.xml, so it is a good idea to have c-band transponders for a c band satellite, and ku band for ku band.

Don't know where or who can best answer this, and I was told a couple years ago the satellite.xml file goes into the Root\etc\tuxbox and not the Root\etc\enigma2 folder.

My Octagon and Edison receivers don't have a satellite.xml file in the enigma2 folder. I've always used the tuxbox folder without issue.

Reactions: Comptech
Don't know where or who can best answer this, and I was told a couple years ago the satellite.xml file goes into the Root\etc\tuxbox and not the Root\etc\enigma2 folder.

My Octagon and Edison receivers don't have a satellite.xml file in the enigma2 folder. I've always used the tuxbox folder without issue.

The Tuxbox one is the permanent one that does not get overwritten when you do a scan. IF you have a CUSTOM one you've placed in /etc/enigma2, the receiver will use that one instead, and IGNORE the one in /etc/tuxbox

So, the one in /etc/tuxbox should be left alone. Custom ones with changes should always go in /etc/enigma2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)