How To Adjust Elevation on a 12 Foot Dish re Pics?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I've been trying to find my South Satellite 97.0W with my Mesh Dish and a temporary old Tee-Comm 5000 LNB - see attached picture. Since my Uniden 9900 P Power Supply is not working to supply 36 VDC to the Dish I ordered a V-Box III to be able to control the Dish with my Viewsat Receiver. I am at Latitude = 49.92, Longitude = -97.05, my Dish Elevation should be at 32.8 Azimuth = 179.6. Looks like there are 2 - Adjustment Bolts on the back of the Dish, see the attached picture. Should I be checking for 32.8 degrees Elevation with a carpenter's level in the back of the Ring close to where those Bolts are?? And how are the adjustments done re which one do you check and adjust first?? Any replies would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00664.JPG
    DSC00664.JPG
    969.2 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00668.JPG
    DSC00668.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 238
If the dish came from close by I wouldn't mess with the declination unless you have tweaked until you turned blue, and still couldn't get the dish to track properly. You have to find a flat place on back of the dish, that bolt that is at the top there that goes thru the dish and attaches to the mount is the declination adjustment, best I can tell. There's a chart someplace that tells the declination for your latitude, google 'satellite declination' see if you can find it, not bookmarked on my new puter yet. It's a figure that, aligns the dish with the satellite arc relative to your latitude. Further away from the equator you are, the higher the number will be.
since your middle plate is gone, I would say, put a flat piece of steel or good level 2x behind the dish and measure from that , with an angle finder..just hold it flat against the center part of the dish.. (easier to do than to tell how lol)

First off remember this is not a small dish. You have to get the polar mount lined up with true north and south, and not a satellite. Then using this tool:
Satellite finder, how to point dish with magnetic north, azimuth and elevation program calculator.
You can find your elevation. I entered -97 for your longitude and 49.9 for your latitude and got an elevation of 50.6 and a declination angle of 6.6 degrees more to that.
In your first picture, the screw adjustment at the top of the polar mount, just across to the left of number 11 from your date, looks like the declination adjustment screw?
The main bar on the polar mount is where you set your protractor to 50.6 degrees, then set the dish to 6.6 degrees more than that, which would make it come to about 57.2 degrees. That will make the dish point to about 32.8 degrees above the ground. Good Luck!

Al

In your first picture, the screw adjustment at the top of the polar mount, just across to the left of number 11 from your date, looks like the declination adjustment screw?
The main bar on the polar mount is where you set your protractor to 50.6 degrees, then set the dish to 6.6 degrees more than that, which would make it come to about 57.2 degrees. That will make the dish point to about 32.8 degrees above the ground.
The smaller bar (just above the main polar mount bar, in your first picture) that the declination adjustment screw attaches to, is where you should get the 57.2 degrees with your protractor.

Al

Thanks for the replies Turbosat and Voomvoom, drove the dish over to the vicinity of 97.0W with my 12VDC Battery Charger. The only way I can see a signal of 74% and some Q on Tp 12052 is if I switch my Antenna settings to: LNB Type = Universal, that is the only way I can get LNB High and LNB Low to show up on Antenna settings. That old LNB in the 2nd picture is the old original 10 - 15 year old Tee-Comm 5000 LNB that came with the Dish. Could it be Universal? I am awaiting delivery of a Corotor II next week.

One of the most frustrating things about this setup is trying to Setup the Antenna Settings for the Mesh Dish for Sat 97.0W then having to reset the settings back again for the Stab Motor and Fortec Dish setup on the roof. Wish there was a way to put in 97.0 W separately for each Dish. This occurs because when you escape out of the 97.0W Antenna Settings the Viewsat asks if I want to store the Settings and if I want to keep using the Fortec Dish I have to try and remember my previous Antenna Setup. Maybe I need to get a new Pansat 3500 or that $85.00 Traxis Receiver to avoid this major confusion?

look at my posts on this same dilemma .
I assumed since mine was relocated from this area
it would be set right....mine was 10 deg off.
The total angle was within a degree but the declination
was way off.
I have a digital level and its the greatest thing since sliced bread.
also Fred posted step by step instructions for me and it was dead on.
Perhaps his post should be a sticky.

well the changing settings can be cured by getting a channel editor and saving your channel setup. then change away and afterwards you can just upload your saved list back to the box.

the lnb setting should be standard (or custom) and the LO should be 5150 now on some DVB boxes it might require to fill out a upper & lower LO then both should be 5150

First off remember this is not a small dish. You have to get the polar mount lined up with true north and south, and not a satellite. Then using this tool:

this is very good information Al , no matter where you want to point your dish you have to align the polar mount first.

look at my posts on this same dilemma .
I assumed since mine was relocated from this area
it would be set right....mine was 10 deg off.
The total angle was within a degree but the declination
was way off.
I have a digital level and its the greatest thing since sliced bread.
also Fred posted step by step instructions for me and it was dead on.
Perhaps his post should be a sticky.

Thanks for the info gpat, sounds like there is a lot of good info there.....but how or where would I even begin to Find or Search out these Posts you are referring to??

well the changing settings can be cured by getting a channel editor and saving your channel setup. then change away and afterwards you can just upload your saved list back to the box.

the lnb setting should be standard (or custom) and the LO should be 5150 now on some DVB boxes it might require to fill out a upper & lower LO then both should be 5150

this is very good information Al , no matter where you want to point your dish you have to align the polar mount first.

Thanks George nor really familiar with a Channel Editor - what is it - need to find out more but there is a serial cable that came with my Viewsat that can be used for the Factory Bin V078 from the Viewsat website last updated in May 2007, so data can be entered on this Box thru that Serial Cable. Maybe I need to try it since my Satellite List is way out of Date anyways. The LNB setup will not go to LNB High or LNB Low unless I switch Antenna Settings as follows:

Satellite: Intersat 5 97.0W
LNB Power: On
LNB Type: Universal - Standard is also an option here
LNB High: 5150
LNB Low: 10050 - I'll try for 5150
Tp Freq: 11867 and lots of others
Search Opt : All
DisEqC1.0: None
Motor: None
Legacy Switch: None

Any comments would be appreciated.

you will have to try a c-band transponder they are only 4 numbers, ku transponders are 5 numbers

try
3919 V sr 2040
3905 V sr 4166
3745 V sr 2206

you will have to try a c-band transponder they are only 4 numbers, ku transponders are 5 numbers

try
3919 V sr 2040
3905 V sr 4166
3745 V sr 2206

Thanks gabshere, what does sr mean?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)