How to align dish with phone running DPPro

Discussion in 'DishPointer.COM Official Support Forum' started by firepuppy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. firepuppy

firepuppy Topic Starter New Member

Sorry if this question has already been asked & answered, but I couldn't find it after an hour or so of reading through the forum. Basically my problem is: I can use the app and locate all the satellites I'm interested in on my phone screen (Samsung Galaxy S). However, I don't see an accurate way to translate the phone angle to the dish settings. I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of phone mount locked to the dish so that the phone orientation and the dish orientation are the same; then I could just move the dish (with phone attached) until the satellites lined up in the center of the screen and I would be done. Does this make sense or am I missing something about how to use the app??

Also, any way to tell what version of DPPro I am running ??

Thanx,
    firepuppy

2. raoul5788

raoul5788 Studebaker driver Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

The app is designed to show you, with some reasonable accuracy, where the satellites are. It's not designed to be so accurate as to be able to align the dish itself. That's what the scales and dithering knobs and meters are for. Don't forget that you are trying to point at something the size of a school bus that's over 22000 miles away. That's a pretty small target!

3. mrschwarz

mrschwarz Supporting Founder Supporting Founder

Since the app knows where it is an where the satellites are, is there a way to get the elevation, azimuth, and skew without having to use another app?

4. navigates

navigates SatelliteGuys Pro

I've done so many installations. Why would you need all of that. Just do a blind point with the meter and then tweak it till you get the signals. I use the app with super buddy and it works perfectly all the time. I never check for elevation skew.

Separate names with a comma.

More...