How to aquire Google TV through Dish?

rdavidowski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Caguas, PR
Hi People

Knowing that Dish Network is making available to it's costumers the Google TV Box this Wednesday for $179.99. Has anyone have a clue on how one can go about to aquire this? There are no news or any instructions on Dish Web site to order this and much less receive the $179.99 discounted price.

Last edited:
Update on this rumored release date, the tipster that submitted to Buzz Out Loud about the GoogleTV release date wrote back to BOL yesterday to say that the date has been changed to October 18th. Full text of his e-mail from the BOL show notes below:

Buzz Crew,
As an update, Dish has given us with a new release date on the Logitech Revue, October 18th 2010. From what I was able to glean it sounds like the reason for delay is just trying to get enough boxes in stock.
P.S. I wasn’t the one who sent information to Engadget, you know I only have eyes for Buzz Out Loud… plus I’d have to be crazy to try to take photos of training screens at work.
Thanks,
J

Buzz Out Loud 1316: Robo-hairdresser meets Bionic soldier (podcast) | Buzz Out Loud Podcast - CNET Blogs

Yes its delayed just a tiny bit... another reason for the delay is because they have to push the software out to the receivers to take advantage of the GoogleTV / DISH Network exclusive interaction.

They talked about GoogleTV a lot today on the retailer chat.

I can't wait for the software update to come down. :)

Yes its delayed just a tiny bit... another reason for the delay is because they have to push the software out to the receivers to take advantage of the GoogleTV / DISH Network exclusive interaction.

They talked about GoogleTV a lot today on the retailer chat.

I can't wait for the software update to come down. :)

Is only the 922 getting it or will the 722k also be getting it?

Is only the 922 getting it or will the 722k also be getting it?

They have been using the 722k to demo GoogleTV, I would think that would be one of them. I could have sworn there was a demo with a 922 connected, but I can't remember for sure. One of the training slides that the Engadget story had was that an HD DVR was a requirement. It wasn't model specific.

It not only searches your DVR, it searches DISHONLINE and also on the internet.

So when you have it if you want to watch John Wayne just type John Wayne in the box and it will find you all of his movies... Click on one and it will start playing seemleslly without you knowing where its coming from.

So when you have it if you want to watch John Wayne just type John Wayne in the box and it will find you all of his movies... Click on one and it will start playing seemleslly without you knowing where its coming from.

You will be able to surf the internet with Google TV. It has a Google Chrome browser. Also next year, you will be able to install Android apps to Google TV. Just like the current Droid phones. You will be able to use Netflix Instant Streaming on it as well.

Is there any information regarding what the minimum broadband speed to use GoogleTV would be. Out in the country where I live, 1.5/256 is the fastest speed that is available to me.

sundude90 said:
Can you stream Hulu on it?

According to google hulu will be on google tv the real question is will dish allow it?

Rumor has it that google tv will get vudu and amazon. Will dish allow these service on their box? Will dish allow the dvr to be used with these services?

According to google hulu will be on google tv the real question is will dish allow it?

Rumor has it that google tv will get vudu and amazon. Will dish allow these service on their box? Will dish allow the dvr to be used with these services?

I don't think that Dish will really care what is on Google TV. The real question is will Hulu allow it? Hulu has already blocked anything that is Android related (Droid phones) to view Hulu content. They could do the same with Google TV. Hulu can throw in later on and say you will have to subscribe to Hulu Plus to gain access to all of there content for Google TV. Are you willing to pay around $10/month for that service? Also, Dish may throw in and say you can access it through Dishonline. We won't know until Google TV is release.

I am excited about Google TV and was ready to order one when it becomes available. Now, I think I will just wait a week or two to see what the reviews will be like because there has not been too much advertising on Google TV with Dish Network. There is too many unknowns. You would think that Dish would hype this product and mention it more on there website.

Last edited:
I thought it also searched the Dish receiver's program guide for live and future programs.

According to google hulu will be on google tv the real question is will dish allow it? Rumor has it that google tv will get vudu and amazon. Will dish allow these service on their box? Will dish allow the dvr to be used with these services?
Based on my understanding of the Google TV STB, I'll take a swing at those questions. Most Internet content does not pass through the Dish network receiver at all, so Dish is in no position to block it, or record it. The exception is DishOnline content, which will probably come through the Dish receiver and gets DVR'd in the background as it does now. This is theoretical.

For Internet content that you can't record, you probably don't need to do that anyhow since it's video on demand and you can play it any time you want.

Last edited:
You will be able to surf the internet with Google TV. It has a Google Chrome browser. Also next year, you will be able to install Android apps to Google TV. Just like the current Droid phones. You will be able to use Netflix Instant Streaming on it as well.

Don't forget the Logitech Revue will have a built in Logitech Harmony. So it will use IR blasters to control all your media devices and can be controlled from your Android phone via an app.

The 922 search already searches what is on your DVR, what is coming up in the guide, and DISHONLINE. So all this really adds is internet content, right? But it still has to get the online content from somewhere. Where exactly is it going to find all of the John Wayne movies to play them seamlessly? Is there a cost for what it finds online?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)