How to avoid DVR Fee and Equip Fee?

javigr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Caguas, Puerto Rico
This is my Setup right now:
Vip222 and DP301 – no lease fee only $5 Equipment fee for each tuner for a total of 3.

I plan to unsub both because I’m activating a rec that I own a Vip722 and getting a lease rec a SD duo. I think this will be my new charges

Vip722
Lease Fee – None, I Own the rec
Equipment Fee:
TV1 - $5
TV2 - $5
DVR Fee - $5.98

SD duo Dvr– Not sure the model
Lease Fee or Additional Receiver Lease Fee – $5. Not sure of this charde
Equipment Fee:
TV1 - $5
TV2 - $5
Dvr Fee - $5.98

What can I do to avoid all or some charges?
If I connect both rec will equipment charges be waived?

This is my Setup right now:
Vip222 and DP301 – no lease fee only $5 Equipment fee for each tuner for a total of 3.

I plan to unsub both because I’m activating a rec that I own a Vip722 and getting a lease rec a SD duo. I think this will be my new charges

Vip722
Lease Fee – None, I Own the rec
Equipment Fee:
TV1 - $5No such fee
TV2 - $5Waived if connected to phoneline or internet
DVR Fee - $5.98No DVR fee with AEP

SD duo Dvr– Not sure the model
Lease Fee or Additional Receiver Lease Fee – $5. Not sure of this charde
Equipment Fee:
TV1 - $5No such fee
TV2 - $5waived if connected to phone line
Dvr Fee - $5.98No DVR fee with AEP

What can I do to avoid all or some charges?
If I connect both rec will equipment charges be waived?
:up

Your primary receiver (probably the 722) will have no lease fee but if it is not connected to a phone line or ethernet, the second tuner will incur a $5 phone line charge plus you will have the DVR fee of $5.98 unless you subscribe to DVR Advantage or whatever they call it now.

The second DVR will also have a DVR fee (unless you subscribe to The everything pack which includes all DVR fees) and there will be a leased receiver fee of $5 for an SD receiver. Again if it is connected to a phone or ethernet, there is no phone line fee of $5 either.

Equipment charges are never (well hardly ever) waived. You must meet certain qualifications to avoid certain fees as outlined above.

The only fees that can be eliminated are the $5 fees for not having the Duo (or 522. 625, 322, and all Duo ViP boxes--I believe the 612 is exempt, not sure) connected to a phone line or broadband internet connections. This is called the "TV 2 Connection" fee.

The other fee that can be avoided the DVR fees if you subscribe to America's Everything Pack (AEP). Under AEP, no DVR fees for all DVR's on your account. Otherwise you are charged the DVR fee for EACH DVR on your account.

The really bad news is that you cannot avoid having to pay the additional $5 or $7 (depending upon the box) monthly charge. If you lease, it is called the "Lease Fee." If you own the box, it is called Duo or Solo "Receiver Fee". It is just the same amount of money but given a different name. You will pay the same monthly fee whether you lease or own. This is one of the reasons that owning is not the best route.

Financially, leasing is always best. This is not 1999 when owning made some sense. You will want to upgrade as time passes, so it is cheaper to do that rather than buy for full retail the latest and greatest in Dish technology STB's. I plan on exchanging my 722's for 922's. Otherwise I would have to pay $800.

The only reason to own is if you require more boxes (actually it is a 4 tuner limit, so more tuners) than Dish is willing to lease. If your leased box fails, Dish will replace it at no charge because it is their box (you may be charged $14 shipping). If your owned box fails after the warranty, then you get to replace that box at full retail. Ouch! If you want your owned equipment (including the entire system) covered after the initial warranty for free replacement with NO shipping charges, then you need to spend an additional $5 per month for the Home Protection Plan. The plan also includes tech visits at $25. The HPP paid for itself easily when my 721 had to be replaced twice, within a very short period, all at no charge.

So, as you see, Dish has you a comin' and a goin'. Focus on your telephone / broadband internet connection to save on the "TV2 Connection Fee." Then consider if AEP makes sense for you. Then That's it. Sorry. no savings on any other fees whether you lease or own. You will pay the fee for each additional receiver on your account, no matter what. Get used to it:).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts