How to avoid telephone line requirement?

bestrealtor

Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
I personally have a HUGE issue with requiring my phone line be connected all the time. They refuse to admit that they are storing my viewing habits and uploading it for statistics which I'm sure they sell to advertisers, etc.

It will cost me $60/yr. to disconnect it ($5/mo). Is there any way around this problem?

who knows or cares if they know what i am viewing? i mean, your interenet service provider can tell what websites you go to, your telephone service knows who you call and you calls you and your banks/creditors know your financial habits. if you have onstar in your car, they know where your driving habits. based on all that, records of what you watch are pretty harmless if you think about it. hell, if i leave my remote address on 1, i can tell what my neighbor watches when his uhf remote changes my channel lol. yeah, i know privacy has been lost in our modern day, but when you compare it to what else is out there, this is either small potatos, or it is 60 bucks a year. your call buddy!

oh, one more thing, if your dual tuner is connected to a phoneline, it does call in once a month and give reports on your signal strength and on frequency of signal losses. it also gives a lot of info that help the techs fix any problems you might have if you call in. and if your reciever reports exessive signal loss, a dish tech will actually call you and offer a free service call to fix it. you cant take advantage of that without the phoneline.

I personally have a HUGE issue with requiring my phone line be connected all the time. They refuse to admit that they are storing my viewing habits and uploading it for statistics which I'm sure they sell to advertisers, etc.

It will cost me $60/yr. to disconnect it ($5/mo). Is there any way around this problem?
Seriously there are more important things to worry about than wether or not someone other than you knows your watching dirty barmaids 9 on exstacy. Dish isnt keeping track of your viewing habits and selling it to anyone, check your phone bill and look for a toll free number to come up repeatedly. If your ordering pay per view then that is the receiver dialing out to put the charge on your account, if no ppv then no dial out as all the receiver does until you order a ppv is check for dial tone at random intervals and nothing else. If you really are convinced that dish is selling your viewing habits then contact Claude at dishstore and see if he has a 501/508/721 ( that one he does ) or a 921 and get one of these dvr's from him as they dont require a phone line and no fee.

Prior to having the ethernet port on my 622 enabled I had no phone line connect (I have no land line at all). I simply emailed customer support and told them their requirements of a phone line where outdated and they would loss my as as customer if I had to pay for their inability to use the hardware they sent me (it did have a ethernet port after all!). They waived the phone requirement on my account.

One more reason to have the line connected is to avoid the Dish Nazi Police. Believe me you do not want them to call you and start asking questions. If you wondering what is the Dish Nazi Police, just read this post, http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/96755-audit-department-hell.html.

LOL! I forgot all about Claude's ordeal (maybe I shouldn't be laughing :p). In that case I think it was more than just an issue with the phone line. Probably more a case of bruised CSR egos.

I've personally wrapped my receiver in aluminum foil to make certain it can't communicate with the Echostar mother ship orbiting North America as we speak. It matches my hat perfectly

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)