How to cancel after 10 days?

gatorfreak

Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Florida
Got Dish 10 days ago. Is there any sort of trial period like 30 days where I can cancel and not get stuck with massive fees?

While I knew about rain fade, I didn't think it would be every time it rains and the whole time it's raining (which is every day this time of year). Also, not all my locals are included (as I expected) and not all of them are in HD (although they are broadcast in HD).

Got Dish 10 days ago. Is there any sort of trial period like 30 days where I can cancel and not get stuck with massive fees?

While I knew about rain fade, I didn't think it would be every time it rains and the whole time it's raining (which is every day this time of year). Also, not all my locals are included (as I expected) and not all of them are in HD (although they are broadcast in HD).

Where are you in Florida? You should only lose your signal in the heaviest rain/cloud cover and only lose signal until it passes out of the way which is usually minutes. I've lost signal for an hour or so in a frog strangler that didn't move though. What signal strengths are you getting on your satellite transponders without the rain? People have been let out of their contracts early in the period due to massive reception problems. It really depends on the CSR. You can also try CEO at echostar dot com for relief. You may just need the antenna peaked to get higher signal strengths.

You should post what your signal readings are for the satellites you are pointed at. That might be the issue. I would think in FL that ota would be a good option for hd locals and then some.
Try to resolve your issues before canceling, that option would likely cost you $$$.

You should only lose your signal in the heaviest rain/cloud cover

Heavy rain cloud cover is every afternoon here. I'm in North/Central Florida (Gainesville). I do have an antenna that I intended to use as backup but that is pretty spotty too during a rainstorm. Below is my signal details (I think) in clear weather. Should it be better?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5632_web.jpg
    IMG_5632_web.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:
Those are very good signals. You need a simple ota antenna hooked up to provide you with a ota channels back up for when there is rain fade. Also it might benefit you to watch your tv shows RECORDED if you receiver is an hd dvr. I have the 722k with the dual ota tuner and I live in southeast Texas where we have rain anytime . During hurricane Humberto in 2006 , we had the 722 dvr with single ota tuner. We were able to watch our local weather on the ota channels at 2:30am in the morning when the hurricane( cat 1 )was hitting our very area. That was until the lights went out around 3:00am. If you are not very far from your broadcast towers like I am ( 25 miles or less), you could use the terk 44 clip on antenna on your dish to receive both ota and sat on up to 3 receivers. It does both vhf/uhf , analog and digital. I use it to with a mult splitter and get ota reception to my 722k, my tv, my computer room tv, and as my fm antenna for my a/v receiver.

I do have an OTA antenna as backup. I thought it was pretty funny that when the DVR has no Dish signal (612 DVR) it won't let me past the screen that says there is no signal, so I can't get to the guide to select an OTA channel. My TV has an OTA tuner so I can just split the antenna line to the TV too. That doesn't help much when I'm watching my favorite team on ESPN and a rain storm comes along though.

I do have an OTA antenna as backup. I thought it was pretty funny that when the DVR has no Dish signal (612 DVR) it won't let me past the screen that says there is no signal, so I can't get to the guide to select an OTA channel. My TV has an OTA tuner so I can just split the antenna line to the TV too. That doesn't help much when I'm watching my favorite team on ESPN and a rain storm comes along though.

My 722 let me hit dvr and then I would select any program. After the playback started, I would hit guide and then go to where my OTA channels where and would be able to watch them. This last weekend was the most times my sat went out due to storms (3-4 times - about 2-3 mins each time) in the 6 years I have had E*.

IF you will hit MENU then #1 PROGRAM GUIDE, you can access your guide and hit an ota channel. IF you want all your national hd channels to work 100% of the time in rain , I suggest you go with cable. That is the way satellite works or doesn't in this case and you have to accept it if you want to stay with them. That or get a very big dish that eliminates all traces of rain fade.

IF you will hit MENU then #1 PROGRAM GUIDE, you can access your guide and hit an ota channel. IF you want all your national hd channels to work 100% of the time in rain , I suggest you go with cable. That is the way satellite works or doesn't in this case and you have to accept it if you want to stay with them. That or get a very big dish that eliminates all traces of rain fade.
This is true, but you're screwed if you have even a 3 second power failure during one of those storms. The receiver reboots and tells you that guide info is unavailable, and you (at least me) cannot tune to an OTA channel via the dish receiver. Thankfully my TVs have their own OTA tuners that I can tune to.

With the numerous brief (3-30 seconds) power outages here, I've found that I have to run my DVRs from a UPS just to keep from dealing with a power-off reboot.

However, in 8 years of having Dish Network, probably have only had rain outages maybe half-dozen times a year....and it has to be a pretty bad storm to the south-southeast.

In answer to the original question, you pay your early termination fee and return your leased equipment. There is no 30 day trial unless it is a condition of your state's law. I'm not aware of any state with a 30 day buyer's remorse period.

You gotta love the hurricane season.

I live about an hour northeast of you, and you probably just had the same storm system blow through that we got, which caused a bit of havoc out here by the Suwannee River. This is the worst time of the year for satellite outages. Don't worry though, I have never had an outage during a Gator game, so hopefully you won't miss a minute of the action.

Signal.

Heck for some reason on that screen mine for 129 is showing 3 zero's then the fourth is a 74 is something wrong with this picture,shouldn't those first 3 have some kinda numbers.:confused:

Heck for some reason on that screen mine for 129 is showing 3 zero's then the fourth is a 74 is something wrong with this picture,shouldn't those first 3 have some kinda numbers.:confused:

Assuming you are pointed at 129 (lots of PA subs have 61.5 instead), keep in mind TPs 1-16 on 129 are spotbeams. So having those first 3 zero would not be odd (especially given I don't think any PA spotbeams are on). TP 21, on the other hand is CONUS, so that should have signal.

Signal.

Assuming you are pointed at 129 (lots of PA subs have 61.5 instead), keep in mind TPs 1-16 on 129 are spotbeams. So having those first 3 zero would not be odd (especially given I don't think any PA spotbeams are on). TP 21, on the other hand is CONUS, so that should have signal.

Yeah i'm in western p.a not far from ohio,but good to know i was starting to think something was wrong does seem that 129 is the first to go when it rains though.

Yeah i'm in western p.a not far from ohio,but good to know i was starting to think something was wrong does seem that 129 is the first to go when it rains though.

Likely also due to the fact it's lowest in the sky, and thus has the most atmosphere to go through, and thus the most water vapor when it rains.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts