How to change local channel market

I "moved" to Cleveland from Rochester to get the Browns and to get the three networks in HD (still not available in Rochester). The first time my wing dish was pointed to 61.5 and I could only get the SD feeds so I changed it back after football and went to AAD to get the networks in HD. Then I had my wing dish repointed to 129 so that I could get BBCA in HD and that is where the HD feeds for the nets were so I got in a chat and told them that I did a self install at my new temporary assignment and that I had good signal on all three sats and they switched me over with no hassle and I shut down the AAD subscription.

wherever you "move" to you get those RSN (s) as your local

Example...my local RSN is FSN North so I get the Twins, Wild & Wolfies....I "moved" to Northeastern MN (different DMA) and I keep those teams and gained the Brewers (not the Bucks)

If you moved to the Pittsburgh DMA you would get the Pens games on FSN Pittsburgh but lose whatever teams you would get on your normal RSN

Now dish network has made this even easier. Go here Game Finder Tools and they have maps of all RSNs they carry (inc. MSG) and most sports teams (minus SDP & PP)

Just curious, how far would you be able to 'move' before throwing a red flag? Our local market is pretty slim, but it would be nice to move our service address to someplace like NYC or San Fran which has many more channels. Unfortunately even checking these they don't have PBS in HD which would be another nicety.

And if I connected an OTA antenna would Dish have any way of seeing I'm getting OTA channels from my billing address instead?

Just curious, how far would you be able to 'move' before throwing a red flag? Our local market is pretty slim, but it would be nice to move our service address to someplace like NYC or San Fran which has many more channels. Unfortunately even checking these they don't have PBS in HD which would be another nicety.
since the locals with Dish are mainly on spotbeams (there are some on CONUS but you need the right dish to get them) you can move a couple hundred miles away with no issues.

And if I connected an OTA antenna would Dish have any way of seeing I'm getting OTA channels from my billing address instead?
nope. They cant see that

wherever you "move" to you get those RSN (s) as your local

Example...my local RSN is FSN North so I get the Twins, Wild & Wolfies....I "moved" to Northeastern MN (different DMA) and I keep those teams and gained the Brewers (not the Bucks)

If you moved to the Pittsburgh DMA you would get the Pens games on FSN Pittsburgh but lose whatever teams you would get on your normal RSN

I just wanted to stop back & say thanks for your answers! Yup, I'd be just fine with losing the Bills & Sabres... although I still have an antenna to pull locals in HD (before we got 'em thru Dish). :D

Well I moved with my DTV last year to get the LA locals and even where I live, 95255, I get the station that carries Dodger games, KCAL, in perfect HD. Strange because I shouldn't get this. I am thinking about "moving" with my Dish for this to see if it would work. I use a friends address, so it is legit. I don't really care if it is in HD just a good signal. I pull in locals OTA with great success so losing them on Dish is OK. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

How quickly would I be able to move after signing up for new service without a problem? I live in Fenton MI. The the county lines of Livingston and Genessee go through the middle of the town. My house is in Livingston county which gets the Detroit locals and my office is also a Fenton address but the dish website says it would qualify for the Flint locals. Cable in our area offers only Flint channels and my whole family is from Flint.

We are having service installed on Monday. Do you think I could just ask the installer to set us up with Flint locals or should I wait until he leaves and try to say I moved to my office address online? I am just concerned that if I try to "move" the same day or week of installation they will be suspicious. When we had dirrectv installed a couple years ago we just asked the installer to set us up with Flint and he just did it for us.

How quickly would I be able to move after signing up for new service without a problem? I live in Fenton MI. The the county lines of Livingston and Genessee go through the middle of the town. My house is in Livingston county which gets the Detroit locals and my office is also a Fenton address but the dish website says it would qualify for the Flint locals. Cable in our area offers only Flint channels and my whole family is from Flint.

We are having service installed on Monday. Do you think I could just ask the installer to set us up with Flint locals or should I wait until he leaves and try to say I moved to my office address online? I am just concerned that if I try to "move" the same day or week of installation they will be suspicious. When we had dirrectv installed a couple years ago we just asked the installer to set us up with Flint and he just did it for us.

I would think it would be a great X-mas present. IOW's move after the install via chat on line.

You don't have to provide any explanation (the less you have to explain the better). Just tell them you moved, everything is working fine at the new address and just need your locals activated. That's it. Make sure you're within the spotbeam.

Occasionally some CSRs may start asking too many questions, just close the chat window and try again.

Go Penguins !

if a person moves to get different locals, can they still hook up a phone line to get caller id?

You can call DISH and give them your service address. They do not know where you are other than what they have on record. So if you have moved but don't need service just to get the locals where you live you can call them.

Wow, 5 1/2 year old thread revived.

Reactions: Troch77
You can call DISH and give them your service address. They do not know where you are other than what they have on record. So if you have moved but don't need service just to get the locals where you live you can call them.

Wow, 5 1/2 year old thread revived.
If you have a Hopper with a 211 on your account ,Address change is a snap.
"Are you traveling in your RV sir?"
Why YES.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: pattykay
If you have a Hopper with a 211 on your account ,Address change is a snap.
"Are you traveling in your RV sir?"
Why YES.

Actually what diff does having the 211 make...there's RV'ers on this very board that DO take Ho's with them.
The reality is, as long as you give the CSR a legit address for their system, they really don't care...they're still making the same $$$ off you regardless. ;)

Any clue where a person could find a map delineating which cities are within a specific city's market. In my case I have OKC locals but curious where Amarillo and Lawton/Whichita Falls markets starts.

Any clue where a person could find a map delineating which cities are within a specific city's market.

The Nielsen DMA boundaries are on county lines for the most part...with a few exceptions here & there. (the Palm Springs, CA DMA is a good example, as it covers ONLY a portion of Riverside County ie: Coachella Valley region) There used to be coverage maps for EVERY DMA either on this or the "other site", but not sure how up to date they are; TV DMA's DO sometimes change coverage areas every few years. Nielsen doesn't make their current info on this freely available.

Here's one here...but it's kind of hard to see down to the boundaries:
http://www.thevab.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/2015-2016-TV-DMA-map.pdf

Any clue where a person could find a map delineating which cities are within a specific city's market. In my case I have OKC locals but curious where Amarillo and Lawton/Whichita Falls markets starts.
This, http://bl.ocks.org/simzou/6459889, is supposed to be up-to-date as of March 2016. Problem is, there's no border indications for states, counties, etc to use for reference.

Check out the boundary for Denver CO local market !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)