OTHER HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST FTA RECEIVER?

gher9gher9

Original poster
Dec 8, 2015
Centreville, VA USA
Hi Guys, I have couple of questions about Directv dishes. I have 2 Directv dishes on my home roof installed by Directv technician 5 years ago.
I'll cancel my subscription from January 1st, 2016 and I have to return my HD DVR to Directv.
I'd like to buy a FTA Receiver and use existing Directv dishes. I have 2 of them and both looks big enough for me - maybe 36 inch or so. One dish has 3 heads for an extended Directv package (HD & SD channels) and the second dish for Russian package and it focused in other direction.
I need your help to find an answer on 3 questions:
1. Can I buy a FTA receiver and use it instead of Directv receiver in order to get FTA channels (not Directv channels)? Should I change dishes direction on other satellites or I can get FTA channels from the same orbit satellites?
2. Can I buy a hacked tuner and watch some paid programs for free?
3. What is the best FTA receiver I can buy on e-bay? Or let me know where can buy it.
Your help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1. You can use the same dish, but you will need to modify it and replace with linear LNBFs. It will be tricky if you have never done so and is not the best dish for FTA.
2. NO. This is also your warning! We do not discuss anything about hacking on this site!
3. If you are serious about getting TRUE FTA then I would recommend the GEOSATpro microHD. I would also suggest you buy a proper 90cm or 1 Meter dish and linear LNBF. Be advised thought that in NA you are not going to get the same as the way things are in Europe. There are a lot of true free channels up there, but you will not normally find the common paid stuff for free. HBO, Discovery, CNN, MTV, etc.

Reactions: gher9gher9
1. Can I buy a FTA receiver and use it instead of Directv receiver in order to get FTA channels (not Directv channels)?
Sure, But suggest a 90CM dish* (w/LNBF) & MicroHD
*Modifying a DTV dish isn't something I would suggest for a novice to attempt.

Should I change dishes direction on other satellites or I can get FTA channels from the same orbit satellites?
You'll most likely have to aim at other satellites. A good resource to look at to see where this may be is Mike's list at MPEG Central (look at the Ku-Band: Domestic - - list) Caution: It will not look anything like what you're used to (Subscriptions)

2. Can I buy a hacked tuner and watch some paid programs for free?

3. What is the best FTA receiver I can buy on e-bay?
Answered previously.
HoBoy, I type S L O W, and have to edit my typo's also, I see ke4est already posted

1. You can use the same dish, but you will need to modify it and replace with linear LNBFs. It will be tricky if you have never done so and is not the best dish for FTA.
2. NO. This is also your warning! We do not discuss anything about hacking on this site!
3. If you are serious about getting TRUE FTA then I would recommend the GEOSATpro microHD. I would also suggest you buy a proper 90cm or 1 Meter dish and linear LNBF. Be advised thought that in NA you are not going to get the same as the way things are in Europe. There are a lot of true free channels up there, but you will not normally find the common paid stuff for free. HBO, Discovery, CNN, MTV, etc.

Thank you very much for the clear and professional answer. Not so many people, with the right experience can help with a good advice.
I don't really care to get paid stuff but I do care to have a choice and watch US and the world news and other stuff in a good quality (preferable in HD)
I'd like to use my existing Directv dishes because, it's a big "headache" to take a permission from my condominium to install a new dish on the wall.
I was ready to buy a Link Box Linkbox 9000i Local FTA Receiver 9000 i WIFI LS500 ATSC HD but now I'm not sure. Can you tell me your opinion? Is it better to buy GEOSATpro microHD instead of Link Box Linkbox 9000i?
And what I have to purchase to make Directv dishes works with a FTA receiver. Please let me know. Thank you.

Just take the subscription dish off the pole and replace with a 90cm dish. OTARD is on your side up to a 100cm dish.
Get it going with one LNBF at first, then research multiple LNBF's on one dish. Or add a motor to move dish to different satellites.
The Linkbox 9000i is about the only good receiver presently available.
All others that are worth recommending are sold out it seems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)