How to Clean a Hard Drive ?

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
If You have read my thread " Com+?" I have down loaded and uninstalled Bellsouth/at&t internet Security Suite I know at least 5 times at the request of there Tech Support. Well as I previously stated I once and for all uninstalled it and went with another provider. All those issues I had went away. When I check my hard drive space there has been a big change. I used to be around 83%. Now I am at 76% free space. What tool do I use to get rid of these old files. I have already used the ad and remove thing and free up space option through xp. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance.

The first thing to do is download and run CCleaner. You can download it here CCleaner - Reviews and free CCleaner downloads at Download.com
Run the cleaner and then run registry tool. You can tell it to save a backup if you want to, but I never do.
All those installs and deletes will have left behind a lot of garbage. If the downloaded files were put in a temp folder CCleaner will get rid of them. Otherwise, if you downloaded the file somewhere, and then installed from that downloaded folder, make sure you have deleted not only the installed program, but the original file you downloaded. I hope that makes sense.

A simple thing to do that sometimes works is to go into 'My Computer', right-click your C: drive and choose 'Properties'. On that main tab, click the [Disk Cleanup] button and see what it tells you can be done. This only really works well though if you have many things in the recycle bin and/or temporary files. I once cleared over 3GB of files this way on a relatives machine.

Otherwise, if you think that the install of that software was the thing that put all these new files on your hard drive, you'll have to go hunt down the folders yourself.

BTW, if you have "deleted" the security program with the Add/Remove function, check to make sure the program is actually deleted. With some programs, and in particular security programs that assume something will try to disable them, you also have to "physically" remove them. You need to go into "My Computer" and find the files for the program and then delete those files. Getting rid of security is often only slightly less difficult than getting rid of a virus. Sometimes not that easy. The first thing I do with any new computer is get rid of any Norton or McAfee programs, and it can take a while to get rid of every last trace.

windows add/remove program utility does leave alot of junk behind so what I do after I use it I go into program files and look for folders that related to the deleted items and right click and send them to the trash bin.

I second Bogy on CCleaner, its been a big help in getting rid of stuff but keep in mind that it removes what ever you tell it to plus items that are already set by default so be sure that you know all the user ID and password's for all your online sources that require these to access the site. The program pretty much will delete all internet history for all programs that use the internet ( IE, NS, FF, O, google items).

The only thing to really get rid of stuff is to do a clean install of Windows. Format your hard drive and reinstall Windows.

The only thing to really get rid of stuff is to do a clean install of Windows. Format your hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Been there and done that. I did it awhile back thinking that may fix my issues with the Bellsouth Internet Security Suite. But it didn't. One must be very patient with a lot of time on their hands.:)

That being the case, can you do it again BUT this time do not load any of the BellSouth provided software; it is not needed. For safety, security or connection.

That being the case, can you do it again BUT this time do not load any of the BellSouth provided software; it is not needed. For safety, security or connection.
Well I didn't reformat the hard drive but reinstalled xp. Happy boy. It works just fine. Thanks guys.:)

Heh. I did that, and the HDD crashed right after I installed windows on my last use of the stupid key. That was an $80 mistake. Should have just went with a new HDD to begin with. :rolleyes:

Heh. I did that, and the HDD crashed right after I installed windows on my last use of the stupid key. That was an $80 mistake. Should have just went with a new HDD to begin with. :rolleyes:
Big difference between the reinstall repair disk that comes with a computer and a purchased copy of xp.

Formatting and reinstalling Windows will not crash your hard drive physically. That must have been a preexisting problem.

Formatting and reinstalling Windows will not crash your hard drive physically. That must have been a preexisting problem.
Yeah, how many others have reinstalled Windows because of corrupted files, only to find out the reason the files were corrupted was a failing hard drive? :(

Thanks Bogy. CClener seems to work well. Several months ago I purchased Recure. I found that after using it several times certain things stooped working. I lost " tools" on IE7 and the drivers for my cd/dvd drive disappeared. I had to reinstall them. I'm afraid to use it anymore. Obtw one thing I found was I had to many restore points. I reduced them to the most recent and gained 3 gig on the hard drive. Thanks everyone for your responses and help.

You are quite welcome. I am amazed at how much people spend on programs that don't work that well, when some of the best programs out are free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts