Status
Not open for further replies.

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
Hey gang anyone know how to clean a laptop screen?

I'm getting really irked by the smudges on my screen and I want a nice clear surface. Everything I've tried: cotton t-shirts, napkins, just smudges things around, but nothing picks up and removes the smudges....

Bryan, my wife found Endust for Electronics (blue and silver can instead of the red one) and it works great on my ThinkPad. Just spray it on a cotton diaper (hey, I knew having a baby was a good idea!) or other soft cotton rag and wide carefully. It works wonders on fingerprints.

The nice thing is it leaves an anti-static coating to keep dust at bay. I use it on my HDTV to clean the case and CRT, too.

100% correct.

Can I use any type of cleaner on my LCD screen?

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) screens are easily susceptible to damage and scratches, so it's It is important to select a good safe cleaning products and techniques. Most LCD screens are made a soft transparent plastic type material and is one of the most expensive components of your laptop / notebook or computer system. Eventually you will notice scratches or smudges caused by improper cleaners or cloths.

You should only ues an approved cleaning solution in a kit form with a proper screen cleaning cloths and instructions.

What not to use.

Alcohol or ammonia - based cleaners if used repeatedly may cause permanent damage to an LCD. Over time using these types of cleaners could cause the surface of the screen to yellow make the screen brittle and eventually cause cracking on the screen surface.

Any of the following cleaners should NEVER be used on LCD Screens: • Acetone • Alcohol • Ethyl acid • Methyl chloride

It is also not recommend any cleaner that claims to leave behind any type of surface protective coating or protective layer as it rarely work and is not needed. Most all computer monitors have an anti-glare coating on the screen surface, anything that leaves a coating to this surface is going to affect the effectiveness of that anti-glare coating. We also have seen some hard to remove smudging from these types of cleaning products.

I just use damp soft cloth. That works for me without any problems. I dry it off on the other side of that soft cloth or with another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts