How to clone an EHD

mmcl26554

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Northern WV
I have a 500 Gb EHD connected to my VIP622, it was getting full, I wanted to go to 1Tb and give my Daughter the 500Gb for use on her 211k. I have successfully cloned the 500Gb EHD to a 1Tb EHD and the 622 sees it as a 1Tb drive. The program I used was Acronis which I use for backing up an entire hard drive and cloning an old hard drive to a new one. It is a great program and useful for a lot of disk related activities. You could also just backup the EHD to a file if you wished. I don't know if it would work on the internal hard drive but it is worth a try. The cloning process took 4 hours but there was a lot of data and both drives were connected to the computer via USB. Cloning usually does not take that long when one or both drives are connected internally or one internal and one USB. But the important thing is that it worked and I now have a functioning 1Tb EHD with the original data intact.
M

Well I don't know your experience with Linux but I would just use the "dd" command to create an exact copy. I clone hard drives all the time with that method.

I The program I used was Acronis which I use for backing up an entire hard drive and cloning an old hard drive to a new one. M

I have been using Acronis drive clone option and it works fine. If have any Western Digital Drives in your system you can obtain it free from WD

WD Support

Note the free version will not start unless it detects at least one WD drive on you system

I have a kind of unrelated question about this. What would you use a external hard drive for on a 211k? I have an old 250gb external i'm not using anymore and a 211k in my bedroom. If I plugged the EHD in would I get dvr features like we do on our 722k? If so that would be amazing and I would feel dumb for not knowing about this sooner.

I have a 500 Gb EHD connected to my VIP622, it was getting full, I wanted to go to 1Tb and give my Daughter the 500Gb for use on her 211k. I have successfully cloned the 500Gb EHD to a 1Tb EHD and the 622 sees it as a 1Tb drive. The program I used was Acronis which I use for backing up an entire hard drive and cloning an old hard drive to a new one. It is a great program and useful for a lot of disk related activities. You could also just backup the EHD to a file if you wished. I don't know if it would work on the internal hard drive but it is worth a try. The cloning process took 4 hours but there was a lot of data and both drives were connected to the computer via USB. Cloning usually does not take that long when one or both drives are connected internally or one internal and one USB. But the important thing is that it worked and I now have a functioning 1Tb EHD with the original data intact.
M

In short, to answer your question, yes. You can add an EHD to your 211k and it will allow you the dvr features just like a 722k. The minimum size required for the EHD to connect to a DISH VIP receiver is 50 GB and up to 1 TB. It requires at least USB 2.0 and an external power source for the EHD. You also need to activate the USB port through DISH so that you have the EHD capability. It is a one-time account level $40 charge. The hard drive is interchangable between like receivers.

That is very good to hear. Before I read your reply to my post I searched the forum and found a thread talking about this and found out it was possible with the $40 fee. We have two 211k's and I assumed from reading the other thread that I would have to pay $40 for each of them to activate the EHD feature. I would have paid the $80 to activate both of them but from reading your post it sounds like I will only have to pay $40. Now I just need to go find a second EHD for the basement.

In short, to answer your question, yes. You can add an EHD to your 211k and it will allow you the dvr features just like a 722k. The minimum size required for the EHD to connect to a DISH VIP receiver is 50 GB and up to 1 TB. It requires at least USB 2.0 and an external power source for the EHD. You also need to activate the USB port through DISH so that you have the EHD capability. It is a one-time account level $40 charge. The hard drive is interchangable between like receivers.

I paid the fee when Dish first started the EHD and I think the fee was $39, I have only paid that fee one time and I have been able to add the EHD to all my receivers including 211K. So for me at least one fee did it for all receivers.
M

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts