How to compute the frequency used on DSR-4200V

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

James Lee

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I`ve been trying to program a free digicipher channel ( MBCD and MBC America on AMC 1 TP5) on DSR-4200V but to no avail. Is frequency I used, which is 1350 ( 5150 minus 3800) correct? If not, just how do I get the right frequency to be used on this receiver? Is there anything I could have done wrong on this particular receiver? BTW dsr-4800 works fine. Could someone with this receiver confirm if you can receive this channel? Your expertise is appreciated.

Last edited:
I`ve been trying to program a free digicipher channel ( MBCD and MBC America on AMC 1 TP5) on DSR-4200V but to no avail. Is frequency I used, which is 1350 ( 5150 minus 3800) correct? If not, just how do I get the right frequency to be used on this receiver? Is there anything I could have done wrong on this particular receiver? BTW dsr-4800 works fine. Could someone with this receiver confirm if you can receive this channel? Your expertise is appreciated.

My 4200 isn't hooked up right now, but I'll connect it and give it a try later. Your IF calculation is correct. Can I assume that you reset to factory conditions before trying to tune the mux? If so, one possibility is that although the 4200V works with most or many of the 29270 transponders, it won't work on some, such as the combo mode signals. Usually Lyngsat indicates when this is the case, but you never know. The 4200 is not a very user friendly receiver, as it takes about 50-60 remote button pushes to tune in a mux like that, so it's possible that a mistake was made. You might post what procedure you used, and in the meantime, I'll give the transponder a try.

Thanks B.J for your reply.
Yes I did reset it to factory default and I then went to setup menu and then to manual tune with all the appropriate setting and I get excellent signal quality.

Hi again

I just tried again, and I didn't have any luck. I was not able to lock it. I'm getting pretty poor reception on that sat today (my dish looks right at a high voltage transformer), however I was able to lock the mux at 4180, although everything was scrambled.
I really think that my problem is the high FEC and my poor reception today. I noticed the post over on the DCII-commercial forum, where you said that the signal light was lit. I *THINK* that this implies that you've obtained a lock, and provided that you reset to factory defaults you should be able to tune channels, provided that they are in FP mode.
Did you go to Diagnostics "C" mode? If so, if there is a "7" in the upper left, then you have a lock.
If you have a lock, go back to Diagnostic "B", and use the channel up button to cycle through the channels. Any unencrypted channels should indicate FP at the bottom.
If you are able to switch channels, do they agree with those shown on Lyngsat, particularly the 150-153 channels? I've run into a couple muxes recently on which they don't download a VCT, so you can't tune any channels, even if you get a lock.

Anyway, sorry that I couldn't verify that the transponder is tunable, perhaps after the rain ends here my reception might improve a bit, but I really think that if the signal light is lit, that you are locked, and it's not a case of combo / megapipe mode, but possibly they just scrambled or aren't sending a VCT.

EDIT: When I said above that with no VCT that you can't tune any channels, when you first attempt to tune the sat, you can back up one level from the diagnostic screen, and I think button #1 shows some kind of channel map. Usually, there are some default channels here, starting with 100, and you can scroll through channels a bit there, but once the VCT loads, this all changes, and you then have the REAL channels listed. Once they load in there, you can go back to diagnostic mode and tune through the channels with the channel button.

I've also run into a couple muxes, where you can't get to all the channels via the channel-up button, but instead you have to be on one specific channel, where the channel you want shows up in the channel map display mentioned above, then key in that channel directly. However this situation is very rare.

The signal sure gets locked and all the channels displayed on receiver match to that of vpid indicated on lyngsat (100 200......720 800 850..) but it seems it`s not downloading a VCT as I can`t get the "real " channels. Hope your signal gets better and try again later. Thanks much!!

The signal sure gets locked and all the channels displayed on receiver match to that of vpid indicated on lyngsat (100 200......720 800 850..) but it seems it`s not downloading a VCT as I can`t get the "real " channels. Hope your signal gets better and try again later. Thanks much!!

OK, I bypassed my splitter, and I'm now getting a very poor lock, but I'm able to receive the channels, and I'm receiving MOST of these channels on the channel numbers you're indicating, even though I thought that column was the 4DTV column, but apparently I have that backwards, or maybe Lyngsat does. But yeah, none of the 150-153 numbers, and I got the channels you're looking for, and with video. I did notice, however, that channel 850, isn't giving me any audio for some reason, even though I've tried changing the "language", which will often fix this situation.

BTW, you are definately getting the VCT if it's giving you those channels.

I thought that the NEXT obvious question would be..... is this by chance a brand new 4200???
Ie because a brand new, never used 4200 cannot tune the FP channels, only the ZK channels, since it needs to have at one time in it's lifetime to have been authorized in order to receive FP channels, HOWEVER, I just checked, and there are a mixture of FP and ZK signals on this mux, so you should be able to receive many of these channels even with a brand new 4200. I found that
100 MP/NS scrambled
200 FP
300 ZK
400 FP
500 FP
600 FP
700 FP
720 FP
740 FP BLANK?
750 FP BLANK
800 ZK
850 ZK NO AUDIO
900 ZK
950 ZK

So I don't see ANY reason why you shouldn't be able to view the ZK channels, even if you have a brand new 4200, however the no audio thing is strange.

I have one pre-authorized and one brand new 4200V and none of them gives me video. There is definitely something I am not doing right. I wonder what could it be??

I have one pre-authorized and one brand new 4200V and none of them gives me video. There is definitely something I am not doing right. I wonder what could it be??
You guys have sparked my curiousity!
I'll try this later or tomorrow with my 4200. :)

... however the no audio thing is strange.

That`s contrary to my situation bc now I was able to get audio but no video.
BTW, to the guys above who said will try. How did it go?

Locked it Tonight...

100. scrambled/black screen (goes to "Please Wait......)
200. infomercial type channel with audio/video
300. BlackBelt TV with audio/video (same as W1 300 on my 920)
400. blocky video barely coming in/too weak (AMC-1 and 7.5ft dish with 7/8 FEC don't play well together) can't tell about audio
500. Globecast test card- audio and video
600. MTV TR3S -audio and video
700. same as 600 -audio and video
720. Oriental music- no video
740. black screen no a/v
750. same as 740
800. Daystar -with audio and video
850. MBC America -video but no audio
900. MBC-D -video and audio (audio takes a minute or so to start playing)
950. another Globecast test card with video and audio
Hope this helps! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)