How to configure my pansat 3500?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
Hi Guys, I am REALLY lost now.
I got the dish 10 feet mesh on the pole. I went and connected ONLY the 2 lnb cables to the pansat 3500 receiver. I am not connecting for now the other cables that come from the Actuator or the Servo Montor.

Then I power on the receiver and go to Setup, Antena, then it shows a bunch of satellites. What do I do here? Do I need to change the values according to what LBNs I am using (they are listed below, C/Ku)? I get no signal anywhere, I pressed everything, smart scan, went into each satellite, etc , etc, and get nothing. I just do not know what to do here and the manual is not a great help for me who has never done this.

Please help me, this should be the last part of this project. Thanks.

By the way I live in tampa, FL.
Latitude: 27° 58' North
Longitude: 82° 32' West

Chaparral C/KU band Corotor ll Plus Combo Pack, Feedhorn w C and KU LNBs

The Corotor II Plus is designed for systems which require reception of both C and Ku-band signals. The Corotor II Plus is primarily for reception of satellites in the United States.

Corotor 2 Plus Features:

Patented probe for C-band reception
Unique Low-loss dipole antenna for Ku-band reception
Receives linear C-band signals in the 3.7-4.2 GHz Range
Receives linear Ku-band signals in the 11.7-12.7 GHz range

Built in the Chaparral tradition of quality, the Corotor II Plus is the ideal choice for systems which require reliable performance.

C-Band LNB Specifications:

Model Number SLT-120C17+
I/P Frequency 3.4-4.2 GHz
O/P Frequency 950-1750 MHz
LO Frequency 5.15 GHz
LO Initial Accuracy ± 1MHz @ 25° C
Stability (-35°C to +52°C) ± 2.0 MHz
LO Phase Noise <-85 dBc/Hz (@10kHz)
Noise Temperature 17 °K
Conversion Gain 60 dB
Gain Flatness ± 1 dB /36 MHz
± 3 dB /800 MHz
Image Rejection 40dB (min.)
Third Order Intermodulation -50 dBc (min.)
1 dB Compression Point 0 dBm
DC Voltage 10.5 - 21.0 VDC
Output Impedance 75 W F-Female
Output VSWR 2.5 : 1
Max. DC Current 200 mA
Output Port Number 1
Waveguide Interface WR-229
Operation Temperature -35°C to +52°C

KU LNB Specifications:

Model Number 770LSKU
I/P Frequency 11.7-12.2 GHz
O/P Frequency 950-1450 MHz
LO Frequency 10750
Initial Setting Accuracy at 23 °C ± 500 kHz
LO Stability (-35 °C to +52 °C) ± 2.0 MHz
LO Phase Noise
kHz offset) -60 dBc/Hz @ 1
-80 dBc/Hz @ 10
-90 dBc/Hz @ 100
Noise Figure 0.8 dB (max.)
Cross Pol. Isolation 25 dB (min.)
Conversion Gain 50 to 62 dB (typical)
Gain Flatness ± 0.5 dB/24 MHz
Image Rejection 40dB (min.)
O/P Spurious -60 dBm (min.)
O/P Power @ 1 dB Compression 0 dBm (min.)
O/P VSWR 2.0:1
O/P ports 1
O/P Port Type 75 W F-Female
DC Voltage 10.5 - 21 V DC
Current Consumption 110 mA
Waveguide Interface WR-75
Working Temperature -35 °C to 52 °C
Humidity 0-100%

a couple of things you should do.
1. do not use the Diseqc switch,you will be using the satellite receiver of your BUD for changing your polarity.
2.when you go to a satellite you have to do it with both the BUD and FTA receivers on the same satellite.
3. you change the polarity of the channel by switching channels on the BUD from odd to even and vice versa,and fine tune it with your polarity adjustment on your bud.
4. Lyngsat will tell you the name and degree of the satellite.

andyvan said:
a couple of things you should do.
1. do not use the Diseqc switch,you will be using the satellite receiver of your BUD for changing your polarity.
2.when you go to a satellite you have to do it with both the BUD and FTA receivers on the same satellite.
3. you change the polarity of the channel by switching channels on the BUD from odd to even and vice versa,and fine tune it with your polarity adjustment on your bud.
4. Lyngsat will tell you the name and degree of the satellite.
This is all true, except, you do need the Diseqc Switch, for the C-band and ku-band differences.

Al

the switch is for an LNBF and using it with it's 18V will do damage to the syst.,the bud receiver will distinguish between C/KU band satellites

That's the deal, he's using a DVB reciever which will be quite happy to run the DiSEqC switch.

I'm going to be running a very similar setup with my Analog 'bud receiver' slaved.

andyvan said:
the switch is for an LNBF and using it with it's 18V will do damage to the syst.,the bud receiver will distinguish between C/KU band satellites
Sorry andyvan,
I was for some reason thinking he was slaving it. I know I would. My bad!!!!!

Al

Thanks for your answers, but now I am Really confused. Again, I am a NEW NEW Baby on this.

This morning before reading these answers I went up to the BUD again and using satellite meter I started moving the BUD manually, I am not using the mover because I think it is bad. So I got to a point or several where the 1+ bar in the metter was moving and got all the way to 9. I was connecting one of the cables from one of the LNBs (do not know which one). THen I came back and knowing I was receiving signal from something up there I connected that cable straight into the pansat3500. I was expecting to see the signal bar to increase when going into the satellites screen.

If I am not wrong what you guys are saying is that I will HAVE to know which satellite I am pointing to and that way I can select the same satellite on the setup - antena screen on the pansat 3500? Then it will show the quality moving? Do I need to scan it first?

I guess my question is how to know if I am getting really somethin?

First of all you sound like you have the same problem as I started out with.
I can only help you as far as I've gotten. First I replaced the motor (mine was a Venture 18" and replaced with a 24" Venture Maxi, to get more reach beyond (61.5 W - 137.0 W) the normal North American Sats. Second I have an analog receiver to move the dish so I can locate the C- Band Satellites without trying to aim it manually. An Analog receiver, for me, is a MUST HAVE. Now if I can only get a digital signal.

kellyga,
I don't know how I can help. It's mostly trial and error. I would suggest for you to put it on your true south satellite (assuming it's AMC 9). Now, enter co-ordinates tr# 11890 H with sr# 14062. If you get nothing, try to crank your elevation up or down and see if you can locate this signal. Hope this will work, I can't think of anything else, at the moment.

Al

What about this? What do youthink?

I went up the roof and using the satellite meter and having the motor extended all the way I am getting the metter to show I am getting signal from some satellite up there.

Then, I came down and started scanning each satellite one at a time. I must show one of them because I am getting signal with the meter. As you said trial and error. That is what I am trying to do. The problem for me is that I did not know where to start now playing with the receiver at least I am getting busy now.

Now, let me ask you a question. If I am receiving satellite signal as the satellite finder is showing me (6 out of 10 bars), then, by coming into the pansat and choosing a satellite and doing Satellite Scan for each satellite one of them should show something after the scan right?

kelleyga said:
What about this? What do youthink? Now, let me ask you a question. If I am receiving satellite signal as the satellite finder is showing me (6 out of 10 bars), then, by coming into the pansat and choosing a satellite and doing Satellite Scan for each satellite one of them should show something after the scan right?
kelleyga,
Believe it or not, at least as far as I'm concerned, the signal strength meter doesn't do a lot of good. You can get signal from anywhere/everywhere. What you want to get is a QUALITY SIGNAL. You'll probably need to use the one in the Pansat. It's a good meter, when you start getting some QUALITY signal, you'll get some channels.

Al

VoomVoom,

Then If I am have to use the PanSat I will need to go into Antena Setup first, and select the Satellite I think I am trying to heat right? And then I start moving the dish manually until quality start moving. Now, if that is the case, What happens if I think I am trying to get Satellite X with the dish and I am in Satellite Y in the pasant, Will the quality move in the pansat even though I maight be getting signal from Satellite X (when Satellite Y is chosen in the pansat?

Metalhead said:
First of all you sound like you have the same problem as I started out with.
I can only help you as far as I've gotten. First I replaced the motor (mine was a Venture 18" and replaced with a 24" Venture Maxi, to get more reach beyond (61.5 W - 137.0 W) the normal North American Sats. Second I have an analog receiver to move the dish so I can locate the C- Band Satellites without trying to aim it manually. An Analog receiver, for me, is a MUST HAVE. Now if I can only get a digital signal.
I'm planning on ending up with the same, only backwards.

I plan on using a VBOX to run the actuator via DiSEqC 1.2 commands from the Pansat 3500s. I'll have my HTS System 20 slaved to the Pansat.

I feel that the DVB receivers are a bit more user friendly than the old analog receivers. Most of what I'll be watching will be DVB / MPG2 so it just kind of makes sense.

Now if I had a 922 4DTV box I'd be singing a different song, but for FTA use I think the Pansat running the show will work out nice.

kelleyga said:
VoomVoom,

Then If I am have to use the PanSat I will need to go into Antena Setup first, and select the Satellite I think I am trying to heat right?
Yes
kelleyga said:
And then I start moving the dish manually until quality start moving. Now, if that is the case, What happens if I think I am trying to get Satellite X with the dish and I am in Satellite Y in the pasant, Will the quality move in the pansat even though I maight be getting signal from Satellite X (when Satellite Y is chosen in the pansat?
That is very possible. But, until you get that first picture, you're not really going to know where you are. And, the transponder # and signal rate # I gave you in an earlier post has gone now. Now, you might try fr#12045 H with sr#6111.

Al

Edit: kelleyga, you may get more help if you post this in the FTA section.

Kelly,
since you dont have anything hooked up yet as far as the servo and the actuator, this is going to be kinda hard. You REALLY need to get pointed at your true south satellite first, but, since your not, you can do it the way i first set up my BUD for testing before i ran all the cables.

1)connect up your c band lnb cable to the back of pansat, with just the signal meter inline. Do not hook up any switches yet.
2)move your dish by hand to get on to a satellite using your signal meter
2) go into the antenna selection screen on the 3500 and select ANY c band satellite. For yucks yucks lets use galaxy 5, set it up with LO of 5150 and select diseqc OFF, positioner none. Most likely you will see NO signal quality at this point, dont worry.
3)press "exit" on your remote and "ok" to save
4) smart scan the satellite and see what comes up, this will let you know where you are pointed. If the scan happens in less than 1 minute, something is not hooked up correctly in between the LNB and the reciever. IF you are lucky, and IF you have found a c band satellite that has DVB broadcast, and that broadcast is on the polarity that the LNB is setup on, you will see a signal. Otherwise find another sat and try all over again.

THIS IS NOT THE PROPER METHOD FOR SETTING UP A C BAND DISH. YOU REALLY NEED TO HOOK UP YOUR ACTUATOR AND POLARITY SERVO AND FIND YOUR TRUE SOUTH SATELLITE TO DO THIS RIGHT.

sorry to but in line but!

This setup is exactly what I am trying to do and now I am more confused than ever. From my 10' dish the coax should or should not be going to my 4 port descq switch? I run a multi dish with two sats on fortech lifetime ultras but I just found a second hand 10' wire mesh dish and was also able to get the Echostar SRD 4000 reciever. Not too bad for 50$. Anyway I have seen people post that they have "slaved" the recievers so my question is How do I set this up?

Any help would be great and please forgive me for resurrecting an old thread but I am a bit frustrated now as I had a switch blow on me on the weekend and I think it might have been my setup that blew it.

signal level

I run a Pansat 2500A on Ku , but I can tell you a few things that I think will be simular .

1 Look up that sat at lyngsat.com & see if it has any DVB digital transponders on that sat , many do . You will know there is DVB on the transponder if it lists several channels on that sat . Make sure you are getting signal & picture on that sat .
2 Pick that sat in the set-up menue and make sure it is listed as C band .
3 Read the LOF - Local Ocillator Frequency off of your lnb .
4 Type in that number in the set-up for that sat .
5 Set power , 22 khz , Diesqc and motor control all to off .
6 You will have to use your Analog C & Ku band receiver to move the dish & change polarity .
7 Buy a sat splitter that passed dc voltage to the lnb on one port and blocks it on the other port . Attach the sat coax to the LNB to the in . Attach the analog receiver to the dc power pass theough . Attach the Pansat to the last port . The analog receiver will be controling power , polarity and motor .
8 Now that you have that info entered in the sat menue of the Pansat , be sure & lrt the receiver save the info .
9 Do a blind scan of that sat , for all channels . If it immediatly saus no channels , blind scan again . My 2500A scans all the Horizontal frequencies then all the vertical frequencies .
10 Change the polarity with the analog receiver . Now blind scan again .
11 If you get channels , some will probably be scrambled . Hopefully some will not & you will get a picture or maybe radio .
12 If no channels , try another sat . Your Pansat will not show signal quality unless it is : listening " to a transponder that is broadcasting in digital . If you are aimed at an analog only sat , it will only show signal strength . You have to have signal quality to get a picture .

All this is written , based on an analog receiver setup with the corotor motor . If you have a newer C band LNBF with voltafe switching of the polarity , forget what I have written about the splitter , unless you widh to slave the analog to it .

In that case , you will supply power and polarity from the Pansat . Turn power on in the sat menue . But you will still need the analog receiver to move the dish , unless you buy a " box " to interface between the Pansat & the big dish motor .

Best of luck ,
Wyr

thanks

Thanks this helps a great deal. I think I have the cabeling right now and the instructions for the menu settings in the digital reciever are very helpful. I should be OK from here. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts