How to connect an OTA to 942 receiver

cebps1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Sothern New Jersey
I'd would like to watch my locals in HD. I assume Charlie will not be broadcasting locals in HD anytime soon so I want to expolre the OTA antenna option.
If I buy an OTA antenna can I and how do I hook it up to my 942 receiver (I assume the 942 will act a my OTA HD Tuner?). My current system is configured on cable and not air (will this be a problem)? !sadroll

You'll need to install a TV antenna (outdoor preferred). The 942 has an input for OTA antenna. Then go through your menu options to have the unit scan for digitals and analog stations. If you get all your local then you won't need your cable for OTA anymore. If you still want to use your cable box then connect it directly to your TV using one of your spare video inputs.

Be aware though that the 942 currently can only scan for digital stations and not analog. Supposedly that is a feature in progress that hasn't been released yet.

I know I want a VU-90 Radio Shack antenna as this was used by someone close to me with good results. Once I install it (mount and run cable to the 942) all I have to do is "Then go through your menu options to have the unit scan for digitals and analog stations." Menu options on the 942 or the TV and how do I go back and forth from OTA and Sat?
Thanks for the help!

cebps1 said:
I know I want a VU-90 Radio Shack antenna as this was used by someone close to me with good results. Once I install it (mount and run cable to the 942) all I have to do is "Then go through your menu options to have the unit scan for digitals and analog stations." Menu options on the 942 or the TV and how do I go back and forth from OTA and Sat?
Thanks for the help!

cebps1,

I do not have a 942 (I'm one of the lucky 921 owners), but I will take a stab at it.

First, I don't think the 942 can do analog yet, so just add the Local digitals. I believe this is done by going to the 942 menu - 6 - 9 (after connecting the Antenna cable) and add the channels.

You shouldn't have to go back and forth between SAT & OTA. The now added OTA channels will be in your guide, just like (or with) the Sat channels.
If you look in the all channels guide, you should see them. You can then go back into the 942 menu and add them to your favorites guide.

Also check: antennaweb.org for antenna direction.

Good Luck,
Larry

Remember they are designated with leading zeros in the guide (but not in the set-up menu.) Examples, 00401 or 0041 or sometimes 004 for 4-1, the first subchannel of the digital channel mapped to channel 4--you cannot enter the dash and thus the two zeroes. Some subchannels may "belong" to other channels and some are unviewable in some areas, see USD over-the-air subscriptions.

antennaweb.org for distance, as well as magnetic direction. Can you see the towers with binoculars? Line of sight (LOS)? If not what is in the way? Can you get high enough?
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts