How to contact local C/Ku-band buffs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

huertaaj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Oxford, Ohio
I'm trying to get my C/Ku BUD going and I feel like I'm going around in circles sometimes. I wish I could just call someone on the phone or talk to someone local to pick their brians, talk shop, or just make friends. Is it possible to contact others at the local level through this list? If so, how would I do it?
Thanks,
huertaaj

I'm trying to get my C/Ku BUD going and I feel like I'm going around in circles sometimes. I wish I could just call someone on the phone or talk to someone local to pick their brians, talk shop, or just make friends. Is it possible to contact others at the local level through this list? If so, how would I do it?
Thanks,
huertaaj

A good start would be to fully fill out your info page, so that your city and state are visible to all. I realize that some have privacy issues with that, but if you don't post where you are how can we possibly know?:cool:

In my case, there are a few of us in the New Orleans area that keep in touch, more or less, and there are a few of us that talk across the Country rather regularly.:D

OK, I'm new to this list so I don't know the ins and outs, but I'm learning. I went ahead and edited my profile so it shows my city and state and also checked the box to allow private messages. So, how do others look at my profile to contact me?

OK, I just figured out that I can click on a the alias of a person and go to their public profile from there. So, if anyone is willing to contact me privately to help me get my BUD going I would really appreciate it. I've tried to stick to the questions and replies in this list (which I recently joined) but it seems to go too slow and sometimes I don't get the answer I'm looking for after several days of trying. I'd really like to get my setup going before it starts to get too cold and rainy and then have to work in the snow.

So how far have you gotten on setting up the dish and what problems are you having?

You're already at the place where you can get the best help. Feel free to post, ask questions, join discussions and submit progress photos. We look forward to it.:)

OK, thanks for the encouragement. Following are some questions that I have. If you can answer one or all via this listserv or privately, anything will be appreciated.

As a beginning point...I already had an old 10' fiberglass dish and an analog Uniden UST-4500 receiver that I purchased at a garage sale about 10-11 years ago, installed it, used it a few times, and then got too busy to use it even once for the last 10 years. But now I have a little more time. So... wanting to modernize, a couple of weeks ago I purchased used equipment from a satellite dealer which I found online. I purchased a SuperJack XL 3024 actuator, a 500' roll of dual RG-6 cable with a bag of 100 cable ends, a crimping tool, a Chaparral Corotor II Plus feedhorn with C and Ku LNB's, and a cheapo satellite finder meter. I also purchased a used Coolsat 5000 Platinum from ebay (for $20). The SuperJack actuator had a shattered rotating magnet and loose reed sensor which I have since fixed. I connected my receiver, monitor, etc. at the dish site using a long extension cord so that I can see what is going on with the dish. I can turn the dish around with the Uniden receiver and can find satellites and see some channels. So here are some questions...

1) When I rotate the dish by holding down the E or W button of the Uniden analog receiver, it turns the dish in short spurts (go, stop, go, stop...). With the stop and go it seems like it takes forever to go from horizon to horizon. The motor stops every 1/4 turn as it advances. Is this the way it is supposed to work? When the dish turns, how much does it advance in degrees or fractions of a degree every time it nudges forward?

2) I have no idea what satellite I'm watching. Is there a way to tell which satellite I am aiming at other than seeing what channels pop up using the Coolsat 5000 Blind Scan function and then trying to compare what I see to a list of known channels from a known satellite? And...where can I find that list?

3) How many and which channels from each satellite should I receive if I have average quality C and Ku LNB's and my dish is aimed and tuned properly? Should I receive ALL of them (assuming FTA) or just some of them?

4) I have both a C and Ku LNB on the Corotor feedhorn and both are connected via a short (for testing purposes) dual RG6 cable to a 4x1 diseqc switch which goes into the back of the Coolsat 5000. Since the Coolsat seems to do all the work of tuning the channels, how can I tell which channels are C and Ku? How do I even know that I actually am receiving Ku band channels?

5) The Corotor II Plus manual (step 5) says that I should attach the alignment arrow to the Ku-Band elbow..." so that I can align the Corotor correctly according to the polar axis of the dish. Since I purchased a used Corotor I have no alignment arrow so I don't know what they are talking about, and the drawing in the manual doesn't make any sense. So, what is the correct orientation of the feedhorn?

6) When I saw channels on the monitor, some of them came in pretty well (China, Spanish language, Health, etc.) but when I aimed at a satellite that was showing 70's re-runs (which I happen to want), the video came in rather choppy and blocky and I couldn't seem to rotate the dish or adjust up or down to improve that reception. Maybe I have to adjust the feedhorn, but the manual is not all that clear on how to do that. Any clear suggestions would be welcome.

7) Should I run the dual RG6 cable all the way to the house with the 4x1 diseq switch at the receiver or should I run a single RG6 cable to the house with the 4x2 diseq switch at the dish? If one is preferred over the other, why?

8) I have more questions but I'll stop there to see what happens.

Again, any help will be appreciated. Huertaaj

You're off to a good start, congrats!

1) Your motor should be smooth, look for a chipped gear or something stuck in there
2)Lyngsat and the FTA list are your pals, use them
3) depends on a lot of things, read, read, read
4)test the C Band alone then the KU, there are trade-off with dual c/ku lnb's
5)use a magic marker and incrementally rotate for best signal Q
6)sounds like fine skew (feedhorn) issue
7)yes, you'll end up using the 2nd cable

Hope this helps

there are some more things to consider

a) if you already setup your corotor & tuned it for the best reception

b) your moving the dish with the analog receiver, tune each satellite & program the positions into the analog receiver (tune with the coolsat) that way when you want to move the dish you just select a satellite on the analog receiver ( the v-box g-box takes the place of the analog receiver and makes movement a bit easier)

c) in the coolsat set up a satellite position for each c band and ku , this will help you from having to go into setup and changing the settings all the time.

c-band channels have 4 numbers in the freq and ku has 5 numbers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts