How to disable updates

Dishusercan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
US
Each time the receivers updates, the don't go back on and I need to turn all of them back on. Is there a way to disable the updates?

The receivers never turn "off" after updates, they go into standby. You can not disable updates. You could set a manual, daily, auto tune timer shortly after update time to wake them up. But, what's happening is the norm.

We need to know what kind of equipment you have. They aren't turning off after updates, they are going into standby after a set period of time. You can disable that feature on all receivers, but when you do then they won't update software unless you manually turn them off over night once a month or so. After a while they will not work properly, or at all.

If you have a commercial SMATV system, then you definitely need to disable that feature, but make sure you manually update software monthly as I said.

Last edited:
brad1138 said:
We need to know what kind of equipment you have. They aren't turning off after updates, they are going into standby after a set period of time. You can disable that feature on all receivers, but when you do then they won't update software unless you manually turn them off over night once a month or so. After a while they will not work properly, or at all.

If you have a commercial SMATV system, then you definitely need to disable that feature, but make sure you manually update software monthly as I said.

I have a VIP 722 and a VIP 222k. How do I disable the updates?

I have a VIP 722 and a VIP 222k. How do I disable the updates?
Once again, you can't unless you unplug them..and you don't want to do that. Don't know why it should be an issue to you. All you have to do is press Enter to take them out of standby.

navychop said:
From the STB. You have to go online to set manual timers.

Could you provide sone more details on this process?

I have tried from the ipad app and from the web site and just get an error unknown error occurred

Could you provide sone more details on this process?

I have tried from the ipad app and from the web site and just get an error unknown error occurred

Yeah, that's a reliable endeavor. :rolleyes:

Yep, I'm afraid Dare is right.

I have two ViP722s so I can set my manual timers on the STB. I know from others' postings that it can be done via Dish Online, but since I don't have a H/J I haven't done it personally. I, too am not thrilled with the reliability of Dish Online, but thankfully do not seem to have nearly the problems some others have.

I had a 222 and it did allow me to disable the updates but a side effect of doing that is that every time I hit the Guide button, the program guide would get downloaded off the satellite and you'd sit there for three minutes waiting for it to come up. So you might think that you want the updates disabled, but I can tell you that you don't. Set an auto-tune timer to go off 20 minutes after the time you have the updates happen and it'll wake the receiver back up.

There is a reason why system updates happen. Not only is data downloaded off of the satellite, but maintenance is performed on the hard drive if you have a DVR and overall health data of your receiver is sent back to the mothership. It's in your best interest to keep those updates happening.

I just got two 922s. After the software loaded, I had the CURRENT logos for Euronews, NHL Network, and NDTV 24X7. After the updates during the night, I now have the OLD logo for Euronews, NHL Network, and no logo at all for NDTV 24X7. What's the problem here?

:mad:

Each time the receivers updates, the don't go back on and I need to turn all of them back on. Is there a way to disable the updates?

Why do you "Need" to turn them back on? As others have said, they are not really off but in Stand By. If they are dvr's they will still record while they are in Stand By.

No, you can not. Only the number of hours before going into standby can be disabled.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. It CAN be turned off on all receivers, including Hopper/Joeys. We always turn inactivity standby off in commercial installs, because it is common for them to sit untouched all day, and the customer doesn't want to deal with turning them back on all the time.

I guarantee that you can disable inactivity standby on all receivers. That being said, why is this such a big deal to the original poster? In a residential install it should be left on.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. It CAN be turned off on all receivers, including Hopper/Joeys. We always turn inactivity standby off in commercial installs, because it is common for them to sit untouched all day, and the customer doesn't want to deal with turning them back on all the time.

I guarantee that you can disable inactivity standby on all receivers. That being said, why is this such a big deal to the original poster? In a residential install it should be left on.

I think you just said the same thing as KAB. He said "Only the number of hours before going into standby can be disabled." you said the same thing when you said "I guarantee......"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)