How to download Sirius radio from Dish receiver

sereeves

Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
Hello, I am building a media center computer and I plan to use it for downloading TV and Sirius radio from my Dish Network receiver. I plan to buy the Timetrax software, but I was wondering which TV capture card would be the best and will the card capture the Sirius radio from Dish and in which format? Will I need additional hardware?
I emailed Sabrent about their capture cards but they never replied.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Stan

Hi, welcome to the forums :welcome

There's a much simpler way to record the audio of a dish receiver to the computer in real time if that will work.

If you don't already have one, go to just about any electronics place (like radio shack) and get a red/white stereo rca to mini plug cable. You'd plug the rca to one of the red/white outputs of a dish receiver and the miniplug into your mic or line port on your computers sound card, have a wav/mp3 recording and walah, there you go!

BFG said:

There's a much simpler way to record the audio of a dish receiver to the computer in real time if that will work.

If you don't already have one, go to just about any electronics place (like radio shack) and get a red/white stereo rca to mini plug cable. You'd plug the rca to one of the red/white outputs of a dish receiver and the miniplug into your mic or line port on your computers sound card, have a wav/mp3 recording and walah, there you go!

There's just one minor issue with recording in this way and that is that you won't have any track titling. At least you won't on an automatic basis. You'll have to go through and listen to each file and then title it. There are kits that are sold for Sirius that use the Timetrax software and a Sirius tuner to do automatic recording and track titling but they require a Sirius subscription. So minus that one downfall you can do as BFG suggested and hook the Dish receiver up via the line in input. Or if you get a receiver with an optical out I would recommend getting a SB Audigy 2 Platinum and use the optical input that's available for that card. You'll get better sound quality that way if you're willing to invest the extra money. Plus there are some added benefits to having the card for HTPC use.

BFG said:

Yes, but I believe timetrax offers the intrinsic song data broadcast through the satellite.

The RCA "Y" plug is an ok fix, but you'll want to use a video capture card for better sound with both RCA jacks (or optical). I've recorded things off the sirius channels this way and they sound as good as the original signal. It's nice that I can just rewind to the beginning of the song so I don't miss it, or rewind/record and do it at my leisure...

I have an ATI all in wonder 9600xt FYI. The track info is on the screen, I just type it manually, only takes a few seconds...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)