How to end local disputes

Solution, even the playing field

Allow the sat companies to allow channels from neighboring DMAs in like the cable company is allowed and this gives DISH some leverage in negotiations.
What you are talking about is called "Significantly Viewed" out of market locals. Dish and DirecTV are already allowed to add "significantly viewed" OOM. The problem becomes Syndicated Exclusivity (SyndEx) and different boundaries for OOM. My cable company cannot give me Dayton locals in the Cincinnati area, but the same cable company 3 miles up the road can. Why? Because it's a different county. Even though both counties are inside the Cincinnati area, only one of them has the ability to have the "significantly viewed" Dayton local channels. Out of the entire Cincinnati market, I think only 1/5 of the counties qualify for significantly viewed, not all networks are represented, and depending on the county you could be allowed a channel or two from Dayton, Columbus, Lexington, Charleston/Huntington, and Louisville. But the vast majority of the viewers in this market would not be able to see the imported channels since they do not qualify for significant;y viewed in the most populous counties in the market. You will find this is the case in most TV markets.

Then there is SyndEx. The owners of exclusive rights to syndicated programming on the imported channel can ask Dish to black it out on the imported feed. The distributors of that programming charged extra to the local channel so they would be the only ones in that market to have that program and have the right to block interlopers.

In other words, it would be useless to have a significantly viewed channel imported into a portion of a market during blackouts since most of the market affected will not be able to get that channel.

DirecTV does significantly viewed in the two Alabama counties in the Atlanta DMA. They offer WBRC and WVTM (Fox and NBC) out of Birmingham in SD only. There was no syndex on those two stations when I had DirecTV.

My cable company cannot give me Dayton locals in the Cincinnati area, but the same cable company 3 miles up the road can.
You have to remember that at 8pm, those out-of-market locals switch to showing syndicated programming, not primetime stuff too. Time Warner customers in the Dayton market also receive a couple of Cincinnati locals. Using FOX as an example (I think they are one of the channels available but this is just for reference), at 9pm on a Thursday, you can't watch Bones, for instance. They will show Seinfield or Everybody Loves Raymond or something like that....

DirecTV does significantly viewed in the two Alabama counties in the Atlanta DMA. They offer WBRC and WVTM (Fox and NBC) out of Birmingham in SD only. There was no syndex on those two stations when I had DirecTV.
Yes. SyndEx is weird. It's an active thing. The local copyright owners have to actively ask for the program to be blacked out, otherwise it stays.

Reactions: jamesjimcie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)