How to ensure I'm getting a good install

GrnMtnMan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
VT
Guys,

The ol' lady is pushing to get Dish sooner than later (I kind of want to wait for the the 722) and I want to make sure that I am getting a quality install. We signed up for and waited for three weeks to get an install but after rescheduling a 4th time I canned the whole idea. Apparently "we" can't wait much longer. What should I look out for and what are "red flags". Thanks for the help.

J

The installers in this forum will no-doubt weigh-in on this question and you should heed their advice. Unfortunately the definition of "quality" varies considerably, so the best plan is to have a good set of expectations in advance and then see how closely the installer agrees with that. Determine what equipment you want and where it needs to be installed so you have a very good idea of the configuration in advance. If you are a DIY'er and have some affinity for this stuff, you can probably do a lot of the prep work yourself, like buying the best materials, running cables and grounds where you really want them, and installing the right connnectors the way you want them done. That is where some installers take the shortcuts, and the areas of greatest complaints per my observations in this forum. Another good idea is to be there at the time, make sure the installer is absolutely clear on what you want done before he starts work, then keep an eye on the progress. If there is something he can't or won't do, you'll know that up front and you can discuss the options, eliminating surprises and complaints later. Another thing you can do is volunteer to help. Some installers welcome that, others don't. That will also help minimize surprises. And if you have questions - well - you're in the right place...!

Good luck, and welcome...!

PS - The 722 is now available. Check with Claude at the DishStore...

PPS - If the installer does a great job for you, give him a nice tip. $20 to $50 is in line depending on the complexity and how much time he spent answering your questions, etc...

Last edited:
If the guy jumps out of a 74 Vega with a ladder strapped to the roof and he is wearing overalls, then I would say tell him to go home.. But beyond that, It's hard to tell you what to look for. You need to know what it is that you want done.. You need to know what you don't want him to do. (ie if ya don't want the dish in the front yard then you need to make it clear).

You need to make sure that he goes over every thing with you spelling out exactly what he is going to do to make you happy.. Be willing to bend on somethings because he probably knows more about this than you do. And there are just some things that have to be done certain ways regardless of whether you or your wife don't like it done that way.. If he's any good at what he does then he will come up with the plan on how to install it correctly taking into account all the things that he must do, and you would like him to do.. Once he has gone over everything with you and you and he are happy, let him go to work. Try not to hover too much. Some times we can get a bit self-consciense if someone is looking over our shoulder all the time.. But then again you also need to keep an eye out too.. Be aware of what he is doing and that way you will understand your system better.. Beyond that. Not much.. Your installer SHOULD know what he is doing.. Let him worry about how it gets done. And when he is finished pay attention to his explanation of how it all works.. If he doesn't try to explain it to you, then you need to get him too.. Again if he is a good installer, He will spend the time to tell you how it works.. Then just make sure you are satisfied with it all and that it all works as expected.. You really shouldn't have to worry so much..

OH yea.. I always reccomend getting a local independant retailer regardless of what deal you can get anywhere else.. Why.. Cause you can go down to his place of business and meet him before the job and you can go back down or call him easily after the job is done..

Just scheduled my install from my local guy. Talked to him on the phone for 45 mins. 722 and 222 install with a OTA antenna to pick up the locals in HD if I can get them. Can you get a 722 and a 622 with a leased install?

No. Not according to rules. And a 722 and a 622 wouldn't be good anyway.. Two 722's would be better.. But in any case they are only going to allow one HDDVR (722 or 622) with your lease.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)