How To Find A Free Sat Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
With spring coming it is time to start hunting down that C-band dish you've aways wanted.
Here is how I got several offers for free dishes. Sign up for a "Freecycle" account in your area. This is a international organization for giving or receiving things only for FREE to keep them out of the landfills. They use the Yahoo message board and are located here. The Freecycle Network

Here is a sample ad I placed last year this time, I got two big dishes and several small ones from this one posting.

EX:
Wanted: Old Outdated Satellite Dish (TC and area)

Large or small satellite dish wanted for radio hobby. Even an old Prime star
dish would work for my project. I can dismantle and remove if still in place.
Thank You.

Pix

Last edited:
The next guide needed is how to ask about one in person. When you see one in the yard that may not be in use what is the best language to use when knocking on someone's door? If you say the right words its free or the wrong words its $200.

I've done the knocking on the door. Kinda scary who opens sometimes and says "Yea, whadt chu want" but you know in the outback where these are is also where these owners live! I found It takes 9 NO's then on #10 they say yes! So a no means one less to go to that yes. Actually you should give the freecycle a try. Sets up a line of communication up front.

I've done the knocking on the door. Kinda scary who opens sometimes and says "Yea, whadt chu want" ...

I rarely just walk up to someone's door. I write down the fire number or street address and then search county property records online, find out their name and check and see if their number is listed in the white pages. I'd rather call and soften them up a little, let them know I want it for parts, as a spare, whatever.

The next guide needed is how to ask about one in person. When you see one in the yard that may not be in use what is the best language to use when knocking on someone's door? If you say the right words its free or the wrong words its $200.

I don't have any stock phrase, but I usually ask if I can measure it and look it over, and after that I point out its flaws and say something like, "Will you need to get anything for it?"

I will pay for a dish in great condition, just won't pay much. Frankly, BUDs are starting to disappear from the landscape, can't be a cheapskate forever, I guess. But I've had that luxury.

I insulted one guy whose prize 10 footer had a big dent in it and I wanted it free for parts. As he blew his top, I said to him, "I didn't mean to insult you, I do understand you paid a lot for it back in the day" and his blood pressure visibly went down to safe levels. His pistol remained holstered and I got out of there without any bloodshed. Still laugh at that dish every time I see it. (He wanted $100.)

I knocked on 3 doors down the road from me before I got a freebie 7.5 ft SAMI. I left a note on an abandoned satellite store about 40 miles from me that had two dishes in front of it and about 2 months later a guy called me and gave me two 12ft Conifers, one 6ft Janiel Junior and a crashed 6ft Winegard which I salvaged some parts off of.

Generally what I ask is if they would like me to remove it for it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I had someone down the rd from me. With a 10 footer and a 4dtv receiver. I called the guy and met with him. He was all "I don't use it anymore" "come dig up the dish" when I called back later to setup a date...now the dish is worth something. I told him I wasn't paying to dig up a satellite dish when people are giving them away.

I scored two brand new mesh 10 footers still in the box with hammer blow jacks. So paying for cband dishes seems foolish.

With that said the guy has a for sale sign on the dish now.

"I'd be happy to remove your old dish. No charge at all ! " - :)

Though, I'll admit I was a bit flustered, when the first dish-owner I approached had a prized Birdview.
I drove by and saw it just peeking over a tall fence, but thanks to the forum here, I knew what it was from the road!

Second BUD came about 'cause a friend-of-a-friend was having a rare lunch with some of us on our usual Saturday visit to a local Vietnamese place.
She thought maybe I could haul it off for her brother-in-law.
When I walked around back and recognized the AJAK 180, horizon-to-horizon motor on it (again, thanks to the forum here), I was speechless!

Just like hunting ducks or deer: know your prey!
Then when you find something you want, bag it! - :)

I use the up to the door method. :)

Just be friendly and play along in conversation and not too overbearing. A "Where

have you been all of my life" attitude is common among women when there is

mention of removal of that "eyesore." Most people will give them up for free but

once in a while they want some green. I lost 3 BUDs that way but they were not in

great condition or a very desirable size! Leave a phone number and usually they will

change their mind about price and call back and say just take it. Another thing is if

you can get the pole out for them then they are very excited and cooperative.

The biggest problem I have is finding the time to bring them home before the

scrappers go knocking at their door! :eek:

Then there is the curse of the Primestar dishes. It must be an Ohio thing because

most people over the state line just will not give them up! I think they are waiting

for a phone call from Primestar or their truck to pull up! :rolleyes:

I like to approach the people if I see them out in the yard rather than knocking on the door. Spring is a great time when they may be out there cleaning up in the yard anyhow. When I get the chance I jump on it right away and don't give them a chance to reconsider. One guy even came out of the basement with the extra ribbon cable from the original installation before we left and some ancient artifact LNBs and an extra Saginaw actuator.

I like to approach the people if I see them out in the yard rather than knocking on the door. Spring is a great time when they may be out there cleaning up in the yard anyhow. When I get the chance I jump on it right away and don't give them a chance to reconsider. One guy even came out of the basement with the extra ribbon cable from the original installation before we left and some ancient artifact LNBs and an extra Saginaw actuator.

This is probably a good approach for one that you've had your eye on.
But I do encourage people to try The Freecycle Network , this can find a dish you didn't even know existed, establishes willing communication up front, and the price is already known. FREE!

I knock on the door and tell people that Al Gore discovered that big satellite dishes increase global warming by converting sunlight to carbon. If they don't agree to give me their dish I ask that they send Al Gore $10/month to pay for the carbon offset.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)