How to find elevations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Is there an online service that'll give me elevation above sea level of nearby places? I don't really know how to do this, short of buying one of those GPS things and traveling to these locations, I think those things will give that information but I've never owned one. Seems there should be a way to just plug in an address and find what I need. Do I just need a topographic map of my county?

Thanks magic but google earth tells me I am a fool for using linux and they only work with Macs and Window operating system lol.
I did find some things that worked albeit slow-going to find what I wanted. One was called GPSies, and the other was earthfact or earthcheck , something like that. had to switch back and forth between the 2 to get what I wanted. Interesting how much information is available out there, if you know how to find it! Allegedly I am around 708' above sea level at my location.

Just find the closest airport to the site in question, and it'll give you the elevation. This site: http://www.noaa.gov/ put in the zip code of the area, and it'll refer to the closest airport for the weather, and give coordinates and elevation.

Just find the closest airport to the site in question, and it'll give you the elevation. This site: http://www.noaa.gov/ put in the zip code of the area, and it'll refer to the closest airport for the weather, and give coordinates and elevation.

Not sure how accurate he wants to be but the airport method misses my elevation by 200 ft, ie, local airport is 943ft and I'm at 748ft here at home 15 miles away.

Weatherunderground.com has local weather stations all over the country and they have elevations listed for those on their website. They have one within a mile of my house.

Linux and Google Earth, yeah tried myself for days to get it to work. Finally had it so messed up had to re-install the OS.
SUX for sure. That's why I have both Widoze and Ubuntu on the lappy. www.flashearth.com - but not much for 'features'.

The airport method probably wouldnt' work for me, the Bham airport sits in a bowl surrounded by small mountains, and I'm about 25mi NE of that, surrounded by other big hills and small mountains too. Curiously, I was trying to figure out that very thing, trying to pull in the Bham tower on my scanners but I can only do it with the 'weather skip' & those conditions don't roll around often. About 12mi West of me, I can pick them up with a rubber duck antenna on a handheld! But that elevation is showing about 150' higher than me. I don't think it necessarily means I could get it with a 150' tower though, where I live. Its a challenging quest.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)