How to Fine Tune the LNBF on a TEN ft. Mesh?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
As soon as the rain leaves this drought stricken California area, I want to fine tune the LNBF on my ten ft. Dish. But, I find I always did this on my 7.5 ft dishes easily standing on a support platform to reach it at the apex of the arc or at least a satellite East or West of the apex. However, I find with this dish, since I mounted it so high to be able to ride under it with a mower, that I have nothing to get up that high and reach the LNBF to tweak and peak it...

I have it on the arc and receiving all channels east and west in an average Quality of 70+%, some 81%, but a couple at 50-60%.

anyone got some tricks or ideas on how to do this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 208
Easiest, an probably the safest, is at a far east satellite. Doing so places 'space' below the feed and not the bottom lip of the dish.. Hopefully, enough space for a step ladder. It also lowers the feed so it's more 'in reach'.
I do my feed tweaking with my BUD aimed at 55w. I can sit on the top of the stepladder if needed.
BITD when the only sats 'interested in' were CONUS, I'd remove the bolt attaching the actuator to the dish (aimed at a sat), and let it down to the side of the mount, adjust, push it back up and insert the bolt and check. Repeat 'till 'satisfied. Place nut back on the bolt.
Mark the feed with your 'starting point'. And if there's a chance of being interrupted, kept written notes of what was done and results.
It's a lot of up the ladder - down the ladder - check Q and repeat, but it's worth it.
I find it beneficial to do so on a weak transponder, If one can be found. Tune up will almost always show a greater increase there than on a strong one.

Okay, so it would take longer and as you say a lot of up and down the ladder removing the actuator bolt and marking and resetting the LNBF, but it might be my best bet. It'll be awhile before I get to it, so I have time to "chew on it".

I'll try the Eastern sat first though to see if that works.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've done it removing the bolt several times. PITA, but it works good. Here in NC if I don't do that I do what Fat does but on a Western Sat. For you though in CA, he is right an Eastern would be easier.

I park my pickup under dish and work out of the bed. Sometimes using boards as supports for ladder and setting tv up on cab of truck. Works we'll for me.

I park my pickup under dish and work out of the bed. Sometimes using boards as supports for ladder and setting tv up on cab of truck. Works we'll for me.

This thought came to mind also, but I figured it would be too unstable. What a show for the neighbors though... Kinda like when I was up at the top of my 62 ft antenna tower, and had several neighbors lined up watching the boom crane lift an antenna up to me. But I was wearing a safety harness... I think they were disappointed I didn't fall...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)