How to get a Genie2 HS17

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Absolutely. All that the HS17 does is return the situation to how it used to be, and close the multiple location loophole.
But you are correct, DirecTV will have to come up with a proper policy for RVs. HS17s won't even work with a round dish (using an SWM multiswitch) now that they have removed the dish selection option.
Though interestingly to make sure all receivers remained on the same premises, DIRECTV LA, specifically SKY Mexico, during the era of legacy multiswitches required security devices known as "Pairing Bridges" be installed between the multiswitch and the receivers to allow multiple receivers on an account to communicate with all others through some kind of data link.

If any receiver could not communicate with all the others assigned to the same account, then all the receivers would shutdown as unauthorized to display programming.

DIRECTV never implemented such a system for DIRECTV USA of course, but I guess such a method for the much larger number of subscribers here would have been too expensive, cause increased complexity by adding another major component to the dish install chain. And be difficult to scale since I never saw any of these Pairing Bridges with more than a 4x4 capacity for linking up to 4 receivers.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
Interesting I never knew about that. With DECA they wouldn't need pairing bridges to help receivers communicate, it is built in. They could make it so receivers need to be able to communicate with every other DECA capable receiver (i.e. skip D1x, R1x and H20s) but unless Dish did something similar they'd just lose those customers rather than bring them into compliance.

Interesting I never knew about that. With DECA they wouldn't need pairing bridges to help receivers communicate, it is built in. They could make it so receivers need to be able to communicate with every other DECA capable receiver (i.e. skip D1x, R1x and H20s) but unless Dish did something similar they'd just lose those customers rather than bring them into compliance.
It's either DECA or perhaps the 2.3 MHz SWiM control signal that the receivers now use to communicate the pairing signal. Since as you say the Pairing Bridges (or "Puente de Pareo") are apparently no longer needed for SWiM as in this video I found awhile ago on the topic of SKY Mex. installs ...

It’s funny I remember a while back I was running through some trouble shooting with DirecTV as I had one of my H24 rebooting periodically when shutting the receiver off. The rep wanted me to read my signal levels of each receiver and I said that mostly won’t be a problem but I do have 3 receivers located in Canada at our other home full time so I couldn’t read those levels. She seemed surprised obviously but said and I quote “that’s no problem at all, happens all the time” she did ask how the signal was up there and I said its almost 100% even my locals come in fine up there. I’ve always got all my equipment from my local retailer and have had them install everything for me that I couldn’t. If my duel setup ever became a problem I wouldn’t hesitate to cancel in a instant and switch it all to Dish and if that ever becomes a problem I’d switch it all to DirecTV Now or SlingTV via VPN. A Genie 2 would never work for my setup. I might sometime switch from a HR44 to a HR54 but I’d have to see.

Absolutely. All that the HS17 does is return the situation to how it used to be, and close the multiple location loophole.
But you are correct, DirecTV will have to come up with a proper policy for RVs. HS17s won't even work with a round dish (using an SWM multiswitch) now that they have removed the dish selection option.
Lets hope they grandfather those that they already OK'd.

It’s funny I remember a while back I was running through some trouble shooting with DirecTV as I had one of my H24 rebooting periodically when shutting the receiver off. The rep wanted me to read my signal levels of each receiver and I said that mostly won’t be a problem but I do have 3 receivers located in Canada at our other home full time so I couldn’t read those levels. She seemed surprised obviously but said and I quote “that’s no problem at all, happens all the time” she did ask how the signal was up there and I said its almost 100% even my locals come in fine up there. I’ve always got all my equipment from my local retailer and have had them install everything for me that I couldn’t. If my duel setup ever became a problem I wouldn’t hesitate to cancel in a instant and switch it all to Dish and if that ever becomes a problem I’d switch it all to DirecTV Now or SlingTV via VPN. A Genie 2 would never work for my setup. I might sometime switch from a HR44 to a HR54 but I’d have to see.

You could probably tell where the receiver was located due to the signal on certain transponders being 0 due to spot beams.

Though interestingly to make sure all receivers remained on the same premises, DIRECTV LA, specifically SKY Mexico, during the era of legacy multiswitches required security devices known as "Pairing Bridges" be installed between the multiswitch and the receivers to allow multiple receivers on an account to communicate with all others through some kind of data link.

If any receiver could not communicate with all the others assigned to the same account, then all the receivers would shutdown as unauthorized to display programming.

DIRECTV never implemented such a system for DIRECTV USA of course, but I guess such a method for the much larger number of subscribers here would have been too expensive, cause increased complexity by adding another major component to the dish install chain. And be difficult to scale since I never saw any of these Pairing Bridges with more than a 4x4 capacity for linking up to 4 receivers.

I’m surprised Dish didn’t try to do that.

The problem is that it ends up costing more subscribers than they manage to gain.

How many customers out there have Directv just because they can take a second receiver to their vacation home and leave it there?

Take that perk away and many customers would get a bundle from the cable company.

Reactions: dishrich
You could probably tell where the receiver was located due to the signal on certain transponders being 0 due to spot beams.

I think so. Surprisingly our own locals from North Dakota come in just fine at 83% signal strength at our REGINA SK home. Of course we get 99/100% at our house in Minot. All in all not bad at all. Our Canadian set up has worked well since 2011.

I think so. Surprisingly our own locals from North Dakota come in just fine at 83% signal strength at our REGINA SK home. Of course we get 99/100% at our house in Minot. All in all not bad at all. Our Canadian set up has worked well since 2011.
It mainly depends on how far the spot beam goes and what shape it has .... I doubt that its gonna STOP at the Canada border.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts