How to get better deal with dish? Contract Expired

DishNoob

Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Chicago
So been with Dish with 5 years, with on-time payments since we started with Dish, and been always paying 72-74 dollars per month.
Now that our contract is up, I tried getting in touch with the loyalty department, and see what they can offer me.
They told me, they give us either for 86.99 or 84.99 per month.
I asked them is it possible is we can somehow still have our plan with a new contract and they outright said no..

Yea I tried different reps, and we are using 1 Hopper 3 and 1 Joy..

Is there some other way to get better with Dish? or we are out of luck and just need pay that 86.99?

What we have from 72.99-74 a month in our contract.

Dish 120
Hopper 3, with Joy 3
Locals.
And that's that.

I went on Dish pause for 6 months. I have 3 months left on contract. I hardly watch TV anymore and have about 30 useful OTA channels, many of which are in AT120 and up.

I will come off pause for the college football season, satisfy my contract term and go right back on pause for 6-9 months. If they screw around with the pause at that point, I will cancel.

If Dish wants to survive, they need to start breaking up their channels into smaller, genre based packages that can be bought independently.

I went on Dish pause for 6 months. I have 3 months left on contract. I hardly watch TV anymore and have about 30 useful OTA channels, many of which are in AT120 and up.

I will come off pause for the college football season, satisfy my contract term and go right back on pause for 6-9 months. If they screw around with the pause at that point, I will cancel.

If Dish wants to survive, they need to start breaking up their channels into smaller, genre based packages that can be bought independently.
Or just sell individual channels outright.

Me: Hello? yes I will take fox, cnn, espn, and disney. Four channels.
Them: Ok.

The ala carte model has been discussed here for time immemorial. The providers will not allow DISH this model, period. Even if they did it would cost you a ton of money per channel. Just look at what the streamers have done. They have steadily raised their prices to something more closely akin to cable/satellite. That all goes back to what the individual channels are charging.

In suburban areas like mine, digital subchannels are definitely eating into cable and satellite TV. OTA and streaming in some sort of mix is gaining ground.

In suburban areas like mine, digital subchannels are definitely eating into cable and satellite TV. OTA and streaming in some sort of mix is gaining ground.
for example...

So it would seem the answer to the question, at least right now, is "you don't. You get the deal you're offered". This may change if enough people respond with "bye then". If people just accept it, expect it to remain indefinitely.

Some sort of compromise is necessary. When Dish pays more to providers we subscribers have to contribute. The most logical thing to do is look at other packages. I dropped from Top 250 to Welcome package. Yes, I miss couple channels. But, streaming from Amazon ,Roku and ota subchannels provide me plenty options. And saving $40 a month is sweet, too.

Some sort of compromise is necessary. When Dish pays more to providers we subscribers have to contribute.
That does indeed appear to be Dish's current attitude. Like I said, time will reveal if this is correct thinking. I think Dish would do well to evaluate the situation. The subscribers leaving in droves would appear to think this as well.

The bottom line is I don't "have" to do a damn thing, especially with cheaper options available. They removed the welcome pack that everyone seems to regard as a holy grail. What would your assessment be today with the options available today?

When we made the call before winter, we told the sweet lady from CO (thank goodness not somebody from Philippines, they are pretty much useless) we said 'either we leave or get Welcome package'. Dish stopped advertising that package on their web site back then. She was able to do it. When they sense you are about to say 'Adios', they will work with you. I don't care about ESPN. So, unlike many men I didn't get depressed over losing it!! I would say start from the cheapest package, see if you and the family can live with it. If you can't go to next one. It is harder to give up Joeys. I have 3 plus hopper. Only two people in the house. Still, I had to have all 3 because I like the convenience.

With Top 250 and all the equipment (4) we have, 110-120 dollars a month was getting expensive. We really watch about 8-10 satellite channels.

Reactions: TheKrell
The owners of the channels only make them available to Dish in packages of all the channels that they own. You either take the whole package or nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts