How to get local channels from another market?

gsueagle1998

Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
Hello all..

I am considering getting a sattelite system and dumping my local cable provider due to cost increases. I am currently living in Minnesota on a temporary assignment and will be returning to Atlanta in roughly six months..

Is there any way that I can get a new system installed here in MN with the Atlanta market local channels (with the intention of moving it to my house in Atlanta when I'm done here)? I still own my house in Atlanta, so could I just have the system billed there? If so, would they still install it even though I'm currently in MN?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Have your system installed at your place in MN, but don't order locals just yet. Tell them that your billing address is your home in Atlanta. Once you get installed order locals. They should give you Atlanta locals. You will need to see if they are on a spot beam or CONUS beam. If they are on a spot beam you may be out of luck depending on how much coverage it is.

If you go with DirecTV, Atlanta is on a spot beam on transponder 26 of the 101 satellite. You won't be able to receive them in Minnesota.

Hold up. isn't 101 the main satellite? I thought you got that everywhere. Is transponder 26 specific to Atlanta or something?

Or you could find an old E* receiver on ebay and just buy atlanta locals from them(i believe they are still a distant network)

DirecTV's 101 degree slot is the main satellite slot. There is a satellite at 101 that transmits to areas of about 400 miles, as opposed to transmitting nationally via a single beam over the entire CONtiguous United States (CONUS). The DirecTV 4S satellite can then use this same frequency over and over again, through the use of "spot-beaming".

The Atlanta market is transmitted on transponder 26. Instead of it being on a CONUS beam, this transponder is being transmitted on a spot-beam. The DirecTV 4S satellite is also transmitting transponder 26 to five other places across the United States, and each of those have their own sets of locals. This was the easiest way for DirecTV to increase capacity for the transmission of locals.

From how I understand it, Dish Network is transmitting the Atlanta networks on a CONUS transponder.

Iceberg said:
The big 4 (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) are CONUS. The rest are on spotbeam

According to lyngsat, Atlanta WB, UPN & PBS all STILL CONUS as well...
(of course, E* COULD move these to spot at any time, but I doubt that'll happen until they get a new spotbeam bird) ALL 7 of the Atlanta stations on 110 are on CONUS x-ponder 16.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish110.html

Actually, if he was to also put up a 61.5 dish, he'd be able to get the rest of the Atlanta stations, since obviously those are CONUS as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)